• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Should there be a specific date to put in your entry?

SmokeRingsMatter

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hear me out.

I think there would be a lot more entries if there was a specific date that the entry is submitted. For example, lets say the challenge starts on Monday, and someone puts in their entry on Wednesday and knocks the challenge out the park.

There is going to be some people that feel they have no chance at winning and just pass on it.

But if it starts on Monday, and you can't submit till the following Monday, there may be a lot more people taking on the challenge.

What do you guys think?

You make an interesting point, and in theory, might level the playing field in a way.

If this were implemented as you suggested, then that means everyone who wants to enter has to do it on the same day, and realistically, just doesn't seem practical. It actually might mean we'd get less entries, because not everyone would be able to submit their entries on the deadline.

I think the intention behind your suggestion implies that some folks simply don't enter a particular Throwdown when an early entry is particularly noteworthy or stands out. That may be true at times, but I would point out that not all of those noteworthy entries always win - some do, and some don't.

If someone's self imposed limitations doesn't allow for participation based on being intimidated by an entry that is perceived as superior or has a better chance of winning, then that's an internal issue, and if the case, they might not ever enter a particular Throwdowns or any for that matter because we always have such entries, even if they don't win.

The point is to jump in, HAVE FUN, do the best you can, sit back, and let the voters decide. From there, one can learn along the way to improve.

We've had many folks here starting out as less than optimal photographers and advanced to really good ones just following some basic rules. In fact, we have a dedicated thread just for this reason:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96575

Hope this is helpful in some way!

Maybe the entries can be sent to you via PM, then added on a set date?

I was hoping you wouldn't suggest that! :mrgreen:

Do you have any idea how much time it would take us to do that? Setting up a voting poll, especially one with a lot of entries is time consuming enough. We'd also have to create separate entry posts as well.

Seriously, please read carefully through what I wrote and think about it for a good while...

Interesting thought.

Sometimes looking at the early entries motivates me to jot down a few ideas for an entry. And I guess the opposite to your example could also hold true.... maybe an early entry is just so-so, and you decide to throw in.

With everyones schedule and timetable being different, one way to insure your idea would work would be for the Mods to accept entries, then post them all on a pre-determined day.

I don't know if anyone has entered any of the virtual contests, but the entries are blind (no name attached just a number) and the photos are submitted with a conformation, then held and released to the judges at the same time. The ones I've done had a photo, video and recipe, but the video could be omitted as the photo and recipe are similar to us posting a photo and a post in Q-Talk. It might be fun to try this format.

Interesting thought.

Sometimes looking at the early entries motivates me to jot down a few ideas for an entry. And I guess the opposite to your example could also hold true.... maybe an early entry is just so-so, and you decide to throw in.

With everyones schedule and timetable being different, one way to insure your idea would work would be for the Mods to accept entries, then post them all on a pre-determined day.

I don't know if anyone has entered any of the virtual contests, but the entries are blind (no name attached just a number) and the photos are submitted with a conformation, then held and released to the judges at the same time. The ones I've done had a photo, video and recipe, but the video could be omitted as the photo and recipe are similar to us posting a photo and a post in Q-Talk. It might be fun to try this format.

I like the idea of the blind entries. But i got crap for suggesting it in a previous TD thread.

When I did my first few throwdowns, it was sometimes intimidating. Some people back then used Photoshop to enhance their pics, but sometimes they went overboard so they actually made them look worse. At first my pics were pretty crappy, they've gotten better over time, but I still sometimes post lousy ones.

Now, if I have the time and it's something I want to make, I'll enter. If time is short and there is already a really good looking entry, I'll probably skip it and wait for the next one.

Haven't gotten any zeros yet, but I have gotten a few Dilly Bars. :mrgreen:

When I did my first few throwdowns, it was sometimes intimidating. Some people back then used Photoshop to enhance their pics, but sometimes they went overboard so they actually made them look worse. At first my pics were pretty crappy, they've gotten better over time, but I still sometimes post lousy ones.

Now, if I have the time and it's something I want to make, I'll enter. If time is short and there is already a really good looking entry, I'll probably skip it and wait for the next one.

Haven't gotten any zeros yet, but I have gotten a few Dilly Bars. :mrgreen:

That's kinda how i feel as well. The wife and I have gotten lazy with the invention called the Smart Phone. And our phones are really out dated compared to the New ones out in the past few years. We do have a White box, SLR Camera, Soft boxes..ect..ect back in my Wife's photography days, but just don't have the drive to get everything out just for a challenge. But some of the members here are seriously in it to win it with the Photography so you really got to step your game up to be competitive. It would be nice to even some of the playing fields.

You do not have to have a big fancy camera or outside editing tools.

I use a iPhone that’s all you need with no other added tools or outside adjustments.
Understanding light is key.

I do take my photos and add our Competition BBQ Team / Catering name to each photo through Facebook.
I add the name to each photo because;
  • We had a photo published without our permission and I don’t wish this on anyone cause it is impossible to get straightened out.
  • We also use our photos for references for catering gigs. And people will call you out if your food in person does not look as the photo so we do pay attention to details.
But NEVER count yourself out or sell yourself short my friend.

Would you care to be more specific? I'd like to have a look at that.

I really don't want to stir that pot again, lol. Long story short, i mentioned it would be a good idea to have blind entries so favoritism isn't involved. That word didn't go over well with some folks.

I use a iPhone that’s all you need with no other added tools or outside adjustments.

I do take my photos and add our Competition BBQ Team / Catering name to each photo through Facebook.
  • We had a photo published without our permission and I don’t wish this on anyone cause it is impossible to get straightened out.
  • We also use our photos for references for catering gigs. And people will call you out if your food in person does not look as the photo so we do pay attention to details.

Yeah those newer Iphones are probably better then my wifes 2,000 dollar SLR. Its amazing how far technology has got in the past few years.

PS: We both have Samsung phones. Mine is really old (S5) and i believe hers is a S7. So yeah, really old.

I really don't want to stir that pot again, lol. Long story short, i mentioned it would be a good idea to have blind entries so favoritism isn't involved. That word didn't go over well with some folks.

***MODERATOR'S NOTE***

But you've already "stirred the pot" by bringing it up AGAIN, clearly, with an axe to grind. If you have a problem with another member, I suggest you reach out by PM in the spirit of trying to resolve any misunderstanding, or just let it go, rather than making vague references. That's just not constructive.

That is all.

This! I just use my Pixel3 xl cell phone for photos. Only reason the photos get better because phone cameras get better. :mrgreen:

Got fancy DSLR's also but phone is way easier and practical. Unless I get into food photography. Just have fun with it and like Moose says, it's a crap shoot and anyone can win. Just check the TD threads.

This! I just use my Pixel3 xl cell phone for photos. Only reason the photos get better because phone cameras get better. :mrgreen:

Got fancy DSLR's also but phone is way easier and practical. Unless I get into food photography. Just have fun with it and like Moose says, it's a crap shoot and anyone can win. Just check the TD threads.

Our son has been bugging us for a new phone (he has a S8 ) My wife and I were just talking about switching our carrier and getting one of those family plans. We have been with Straight Talk before Carriers started even doing unlimited talk/data. But now it seems even Verizon is offering better pricing then ST if you get a family plan. ST doesn't offer family plans.

Anyway, even if we have to dish out $200 per phone for new customers, its better then having to outright buy even one new phone to use ST.

I havent done throwdowns, or posted many cook threads at all as of late but did enjoy doing them. as neat an ideal of of blind polling is remember the TD mods are donating time, they aren't even high paid like Ron or Bob. Let's try and make there lives easier, unless someone else wants to step up and run things.

Besides many brethren are going to be easily recognized even without their name on the entry. I mean who couldn't tell an ssv3 entry from the others. While polling is based on a single picture the cook thread gives insight and a good one tells a story. You cant do that well anonymously.

If we really want to give the TD mods extra work it should be for a bracket challenge throwdown lasting multiple weeks/entries. NCAA style single match elimination tourney, seeding could be based on previous TD wins. It would be epic and enough to get me back in the saddle.

I've been in a few throw downs since I joined the Brethren and I've never come close to winning. That doesn't discourage me because I do it for fun. Yes I have a cheap 5yr old Android phone and I could always upgrade to a nice phone with high definition photos but I'm cheap and winning doesn't mean that much too me. I just like the camaraderie and fun of being in the throw downs. Have fun cooking and don't take it so seriously.

And you can sometimes post RIDICULOUS entries!!! I entered a Brethren Inspired TD. Made a meat mug inspired by Gore that was made out of bacon and filled it with a Bloody Mary. A favorite Youtube inspired TD led to my attempt to cook a meteorite. I still couldn't make the chicken as black as the lady did on YT. That was a fun, drunken day! Did either of those entries win? Not by a longshot, but it was FUN!

Have FUN! Tell a story in a QTalk thread as you cook it. And post a pic in the TD thread!

All you guys opinions are great. I like smoke ninja's idea to find a long standing member that would want to tackle taking on some of the TD load, so the challenges could be more regulated.

I get a lot of you like it the way it is, and to you its just for fun. And honestly, if i was planning on doing a similar cook around the time of said challenge, it wouldn't bother me if i crapped the bed, or won. But some challenges are expensive as hell. Especially Brisket that is not cheap in basicly any state not TX. So its hard to justify taking on that sort of challenge.

Please don't use payed members as a reason to discredit my opinions. It shouldn't matter why a member should have a voice, and for new members, its not very productive to have new members get more serious with the forum.

I havent done throwdowns, or posted many cook threads at all as of late but did enjoy doing them. as neat an ideal of of blind polling is remember the TD mods are donating time, they aren't even high paid like Ron or Bob. Let's try and make there lives easier, unless someone else wants to step up and run things.

Besides many brethren are going to be easily recognized even without their name on the entry. I mean who couldn't tell an ssv3 entry from the others. While polling is based on a single picture the cook thread gives insight and a good one tells a story. You cant do that well anonymously.

If we really want to give the TD mods extra work it should be for a bracket challenge throwdown lasting multiple weeks/entries. NCAA style single match elimination tourney, seeding could be based on previous TD wins. It would be epic and enough to get me back in the saddle.

As said I would not wish extra work on them but the bracket idea is cool.
Maybe for once a year say a solid month leading up to super bowl.

Back