Fort Worth/Dallas trip this weekend

There's good que and TexMex in Roanoke, TX (part of the metroplex).
And a great candy store if you have kids.

If you're flying into Love Field then Mike Andersons is dam good and just a couple miles from the airport (10 min). Pecan Lodge is maybe 10 miles further south. Never been but it's known as some of the best in the metroplex. (20 min). Often times a really long line there.

If you're flying into DFW then 407 BBQ is fantastic and only about 30 minutes away. If you don't mind a much further drive then Heim in Forth Worth is simply amazing. The bacon burnt ends are ridiculous and the brisket it some of the best I've ever had. They use Creekstone farms briskets. (1hr plus drive)

If you need something close to DFW airport then you need to go to Smileys craft BBQ. Seriously good bbq from a guy that cut his chops at Le BBQ in Austin. Walk around the back to see the massive primitive pit he uses. It's nuts. (15 minutes)

Now that I think about it not sure which is better Smileys or 407. Either one is going to have you dreaming of the day you can come back.

Please for the love of all things BBQ do not go to hard 8 or dickeys or any of the other chain bbq joints down here. Places like Meat U Anywhere BBQ are middle of the road and likely better than most BBQ in large parts of the country. They simply do not hold a candle to the truly greats we have in the Metroplex.

Cattleack is supposed to be really good as well but never been cause they are hardly ever open. When they are expect a good line. (20 min drive)

Let us know once your back where you went and when you plan on moving down! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
+1 for 407, right around the corner from me. I also really like Hard 8, the Coppell location is right by the north entrance to DFW Airport. Happy eatting!

I'll be driving over, not sure where I'm staying yet. Seems like 407 is pretty popular, may have to see if there is a hotel near it. I thought for sure I would get people telling me to definitely go to Panther City or Goldees, but not once! Lol

Joe T Garcia down by the Stockyards in Fort Worth is where I would go right now. I do like good BBQ but, right now I've had enough smoked meat during lockdown to last a while but, good classic Tex Mex is sorely lacking in my diet. Simple 'mexican' style stuff at home is good but, I just don't hit the classic Tex Mex flavors even with Corn Tortillas, Poblanas and Serranos, and related things. Joe T's is a classic going back to my childhood.

The Tamale 'queen', forget the real name, East of I-35 was a planned stop as well on a trip to see some motorcycles in Fort Worth but, I didn't make it before things went sideways with the virus lockdowns.

Joe T Garcia down by the Stockyards in Fort Worth is where I would go right now. I do like good BBQ but, right now I've had enough smoked meat during lockdown to last a while but, good classic Tex Mex is sorely lacking in my diet. Simple 'mexican' style stuff at home is good but, I just don't hit the classic Tex Mex flavors even with Corn Tortillas, Poblanas and Serranos, and related things. Joe T's is a classic going back to my childhood.

The Tamale 'queen', forget the real name, East of I-35 was a planned stop as well on a trip to see some motorcycles in Fort Worth but, I didn't make it before things went sideways with the virus lockdowns.

We were lucky enough to get to go to an opening of a new authentic Mexican restaurant here last Friday. Was really good, hoping to get some bbq and whatever else y'all Texans think you're good at! Lol

I'll be driving over, not sure where I'm staying yet. Seems like 407 is pretty popular, may have to see if there is a hotel near it. I thought for sure I would get people telling me to definitely go to Panther City or Goldees, but not once! Lol

Never been to 407, but Bryan was a comp cook, cooked for BBQ relief, and is an all around good guy. Bet it's damn good.

All good suggestions. I REALLY like Panther City BBQ and the bonus is they serve Breakfast! Nothing like a big slab of brisket and eggs for a breakfast taco. https://www.panthercitybbq.com/

Another one not too far away is Hurtado's BBQ in Arlington. You can pre-order online up to midnight and skip the line the next day. https://hurtadobbq.com/

Both of these joints have a Tex-Mex slant on BBQ and rock it out!

I am a Texas newbie, but if you get far enough east to hit Hutchins, you will be glad! I know a couple who live in Southern Missouri that told me a few years ago Hutchins was the best BBQ they have had, and they eat a lot of Q.

It’s crazy just how much truly excellent bbq is within an hr of DFW. I think living here it’s almost taken for granted.

Yes, worse than Lockhart, for me, at least there are only 3 well regarded BBQ joints I go to there. :-D

DFW has a lot of good stuff to choose from. Mid-cities towards Arlington has some awesome Asian options.

Lockhart in Bishop Arts District is really good, but I’m a sucker for big beef ribs. My brother lives there and likes Hard8.

Looks like my hotel will be with 5 minutes of Heim and 10 minutes of Panther City. Think 407 is about an hour ride.

Goldee's is great and after taking his class I'm a big fan of Dylan Taylor, but they are literally out in the middle of nowhere by a waste disposal mound. They do have two 1,000 gallon Mill Scale smokers and one 500 gallon Austin Smoke Works smokers they will let you play with.

I like 407 BBQ and frequent it often because I live nearby. Brian the owner is a good guy and also has some interesting BBQ breakfast items, but he uses large, industrial indoor smokers as opposed to the 1,000 or 500 gallon offsets. When he competed he used a Jambo J5 so he knows how to manage a fire.

Smiley's Craft BBQ in Roanoke is also very consistent and they are in a food hall with gourmet coffee, a micro-brewery, fish & chips, etc. He runs a 1,000 gallon Primitive Pit.

My other previous recommendations Panther City BBQ has three Moberg's, and Hurtado has three different 1,000 gallon pits, I think they are Moberg and Austin Smoke Works.

Last but not least, Slow Bone BBQ just outside of downtown Dallas uses a classic Oyler Smoker and makes killer side dishes!

Goldee's is great and after taking his class I'm a big fan of Dylan Taylor, but they are literally out in the middle of nowhere by a waste disposal mound. They do have two 1,000 gallon Mill Scale smokers and one 500 gallon Austin Smoke Works smokers they will let you play with.

I like 407 BBQ and frequent it often because I live nearby. Brian the owner is a good guy and also has some interesting BBQ breakfast items, but he uses large, industrial indoor smokers as opposed to the 1,000 or 500 gallon offsets. When he competed he used a Jambo J5 so he knows how to manage a fire.

Smiley's Craft BBQ in Roanoke is also very consistent and they are in a food hall with gourmet coffee, a micro-brewery, fish & chips, etc. He runs a 1,000 gallon Primitive Pit.

My other previous recommendations Panther City BBQ has three Moberg's, and Hurtado has three different 1,000 gallon pits, I think they are Moberg and Austin Smoke Works.

Last but not least, Slow Bone BBQ just outside of downtown Dallas uses a classic Oyler Smoker and makes killer side dishes!

I think Dylan is totally out of Goldees now. Still may be worth the trip with some people there still having experience at Franklin's and other great places.

Looks like my hotel will be with 5 minutes of Heim and 10 minutes of Panther City. Think 407 is about an hour ride.

No question then you NEED to go to Heim. The bacon burnt ends are like nothing I've ever tried anywhere else and absolutely decadent. The moist side brisket is up there with the best I've ever had anywhere. If I remember correctly the pork ribs were actually pretty good as well (I never like restaurant pork ribs).

I'm sure there are other stars there as well but the moist side brisket and bacon burnt ends are epic.

Hell I'm excited about the meal now and I'm not even going there!

All this talk of local joints was too much so I ran into Smileys last night on a whim. Unfortunately they were about out of everything. I decided to come back for lunch when they have everything and it's fresh.

3yRsu03.jpg

Went back though my Instagram list and Smiley's if another place I follow and forgot they were in the area. All these recommendations have me thinking of staying another night!

Back