Help with pit beef

dataz722

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My wife really wanted me to make pit beef for her step dad for fathers day since it is one of his favorite food. I told her that I really couldn't since I didn't have the meat slicer I have been wanting for a while now. She told me to just go ahead and get it if it would make it so I could do pit beef. :heh:

I plan on doing it on the OTS and will either use a top round or eye of round. Biggest problem I can see is that I like my meat med rare but everyone else will want well done. I will do two separate ones if need be but would prefer not to. What would be the best way to heat individual servings up to well done after being sliced? I am thinking probably steaming or a pan on the grill. Or should I just cook two roasts?

If it's got to be well done (sacrilegious to me) then I will use the microwave. My thought is if your going to ruin some meat why not do it quickly.

After slicing the meat, throw the slices for everyone else into the au jus, keep the au jus hot and the beef will finish up in there.

If it's got to be well done (sacrilegious to me) then I will use the microwave. My thought is if your going to ruin some meat why not do it quickly.

hahaha, I like your thinking.

I did search and saw that thread but it didn't really help me too much as far as two different donenesses. I did see a mention of steaming (either that thread or another and that is what gave me the idea to do that.

I am just trying to figure out the best way to continue cooking the already sliced peices to well done.

After slicing the meat, throw the slices for everyone else into the au jus, keep the au jus hot and the beef will finish up in there.

I had thought about that but then it wouldn't be traditional "pit beef" anymore. At least not what is known as pit beef around here.

Well since it for father in law cook it well done I think you would be able to sacrifice one meal

My understanding, not being from Philly, is that pit beef is cooked to a medium rare over a wood fire, then allowed to cool and sliced very thin. It is then finished on either a flat top or grill along with some jus, at that time it is finished to whatever level of doneness is desired.

I also see it very often done as noted above, that the meat is dipped in the hot jus to get it cooked further, this works great and makes for a sloppy delicious sandwich.

Arc hit the nail on the head. Pit beef is cooked to rare, or medium rare, cooled, then sliced as thin as humanly possible, then finished on a grill for just seconds to the desired state of doneness, then dipped (or ladled) with jus, and served on a roll.

Coming from Chicago, I prefer a softer roll, medium done pit beef, and extra jus, but I've seen everyone order something different. I won't broach the addition of peppers and onions, as I would only expect support from Chicagoians.

D

Well since it for father in law cook it well done I think you would be able to sacrifice one meal

I could, but at the point I would just cook two different roasts. Its not like they wouldn't get eaten as leftovers.

Arc hit the nail on the head. Pit beef is cooked to rare, or medium rare, cooled, then sliced as thin as humanly possible, then finished on a grill for just seconds to the desired state of doneness, then dipped (or ladled) with jus, and served on a roll.

Coming from Chicago, I prefer a softer roll, medium done pit beef, and extra jus, but I've seen everyone order something different. I won't broach the addition of peppers and onions, as I would only expect support from Chicagoians.

D

"Baltimore Pit Beef" is typically never dipped or covered in jus like a chicago hot beef it. They are both really good but different styles. Baltimore style is alway dry, sliced very thin, and usually has either bbq sauce or more often than not horseradish on it. Sometimes raw onions too but thats usually it.

Chicago hot beef, baltimore pit beef, and a french dip are all very similar but still different.

Oh, and for the record I do like both hot and sweet peppers on my chicago beef. :thumb:

I like to use eye of round, but if you're cooking beyond medium, that piece of meat gets horrible. I would go with something more like a chuck of some sort, I think. Just a thought.

Perhaps a top sirloin roast for the, um, overcooked one? It seems to be a little more forgiving for higher levels of doneness?

I like to use eye of round, but if you're cooking beyond medium, that piece of meat gets horrible. I would go with something more like a chuck of some sort, I think. Just a thought.

Do you think a chuckie would hold up to really thin slices? I would think that it would more or less crumble. I have never tried it so I really am not sure, that is just what I would assume.

Perhaps a top sirloin roast for the, um, overcooked one? It seems to be a little more forgiving for higher levels of doneness?

That's not a bad idea at all. If I can find a decently priced one I might just go with one of those and one eye.

I have no experience with Pit Beef.
But, I have the same problem every year with Prime Rib for the holidays.
Most of the reletives want it "Medium Well" or well beyond the nice pink stage.

I cook the PR to "medium rare" with lots of pink but little blood.
Then I have a skillet handy with 1/2" of hot beef broth in it.
I slice off a peice, and dip it into the hot broth.
No more than 30 sec to a minute per side.

The broth "stains" the meat and makes it look like it is done the way they want.
But, it is still tender and juicy.

Just FWIW.

TIM

I have no experience with Pit Beef.
But, I have the same problem every year with Prime Rib for the holidays.
Most of the reletives want it "Medium Well" or well beyond the nice pink stage.

I cook the PR to "medium rare" with lots of pink but little blood.
Then I have a skillet handy with 1/2" of hot beef broth in it.
I slice off a peice, and dip it into the hot broth.
No more than 30 sec to a minute per side.

The broth "stains" the meat and makes it look like it is done the way they want.
But, it is still tender and juicy.

Just FWIW.

TIM

That is a damn good idea for prime rib. I am the only one in my family that doesn't like my meat cooked to crisp and it seems we always have prime rib for family gathering. I am always the one that loses out. I may have to cook the next one and do this without anyone seeing.

For me all that needs to be done to a good cut of meat is to just walk it through a warm room.

This is the way to cook it if the folks like it well down they go crazy this way
CopyofDSCN0006.jpg

I could, but at the point I would just cook two different roasts. Its not like they wouldn't get eaten as leftovers.

"Baltimore Pit Beef" is typically never dipped or covered in jus like a chicago hot beef it. They are both really good but different styles. Baltimore style is alway dry, sliced very thin, and usually has either bbq sauce or more often than not horseradish on it. Sometimes raw onions too but thats usually it.

Chicago hot beef, baltimore pit beef, and a french dip are all very similar but still different.

Oh, and for the record I do like both hot and sweet peppers on my chicago beef. :thumb:

What you are describing sounds like a regular roast beef sandwich. The only pit beef I have had is done the way landarc describes it. And, it was NOT called "hot beef." It was called "pit beef." So, there must be more than one "pit beef" sandwich.

Anyway, you can steam it, nuke it, or whatever. I don't think it will effect the taste. Sliced thin, it won't take long for it to go from medium rare to well done.

CD

I ended up just cooking two different roasts. I took the advice someone gave and used sirloin for the well done one. Even I thought it still tasted good. For mine I used an eye of round.

5858725354_b9daf35c9a_z.jpg

5858725958_b6d2f14492_z.jpg

5858175381_fb9c447d40_z.jpg

And then a French Dip I made last night with the leftovers.

5858175935_ba140a3150_z.jpg

Back