Need Help Getting Sponsorships

rgrizzle

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I know some of you guys out there don't like sponors and some do. I my self would rather not have sponsors but in order for me to get in my first comp. I am going to need help with money and such.
What if any is a good way of doing this? I am lost on this and I am sure if I do a search on here I will find the answer but I have limited time to research the site. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

I have one sponser. I ask $100 each event. They sent me a banner with both our logos on it. I promissed to use their products in some way and talk about them. I don't share any winnings. I do promote their name on social media if I win something. This seemed to be what a lot of teams are doing.

Most of the sponsored teams that I'm familiar with are sponsored by smaller companies and know the owners, managers etc..

Sorry, If you need sponsorship to pay for your first comp. Then this is the wrong sport for you. It's so expensive. It gets even more expensive the more you get into it. We tried the sponsorship thing and most businesses are cutting back on advertising/donations. If you know a business owner, you might have luck, but from my experience you are on your own and it's a long expensive up hill battle.

I think once you/ if you start winning businesses may be interested. Just my opinion. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Also, if you don't have time to research how to ask/get sponsorship then you don't have time for competition BBQ.

Eggspert BBQ

I know some of you guys out there don't like sponors and some do. I my self would rather not have sponsors but in order for me to get in my first comp. I am going to need help with money and such.
What if any is a good way of doing this? I am lost on this and I am sure if I do a search on here I will find the answer but I have limited time to research the site. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

No time to research means no real interest in finding the answer.

No offense, times are tough all over, but if a sponsorship which requires overt financial aid is what you need to do your first comp, then perhaps this is not the right hobby?

Edited to add: Or about exactly what ^^^^ the Eggspert said.

Sorry, If you need sponsorship to pay for your first comp. Then this is the wrong sport for you. It's so expensive. It gets even more expensive the more you get into it. We tried the sponsorship thing and most businesses are cutting back on advertising/donations. If you know a business owner, you might have luck, but from my experience you are on your own and it's a long expensive up hill battle.

I think once you/ if you start winning businesses may be interested. Just my opinion. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Also, if you don't have time to research how to ask/get sponsorship then you don't have time for competition BBQ.

Eggspert BBQ

No time to research means no real interest in finding the answer.

No offense, times are tough all over, but if a sponsorship which requires overt financial aid is what you need to do your first comp, then perhaps this is not the right hobby?

Edited to add: Or about exactly what ^^^^ the Eggspert said.

What they said.
Incredibly expensive hobby and only the teams with a proven record get the attention of sponsors beyond the "friends and family" level.

But consider a local/backyard contest with low fees, low meat demands, and low overhead costs.
They can be lots of fun, low stress, low cost, and might develop your skills and reputation to the point you would be an attractive prospect for more outside dollars.

I think the percentage of teams with sponsorships is extremely low.
Most of us paid our own way, somehow or the other.

Good Luck.

TIM

Sponsors are going to come (maybe) after you win some hardware, not before. The exception would be a personal relationship w/ a business as stated above. Did our first contest last year and we won't even attempt to seek sponsors until the end of this year if we do as well as we did in our first.

The only time I have to do research is when I am at work. I can do some on the weekends just limited because I only have internet on my phone. I can pay for the comps myself just wanting to lighten the load a little, so I can do more than one a year.

Until you establish a track record of winning and have expertise gained by experience , don't expect to attract a sponsor unless you have a previous relationship with them. Concentrate on the basics of comps first and mentor with team first.

As someone who does not YET have an OFFICIAL(hopefully next few days) sponsor what I might add may not be of much help, but instead of saying what you need from a potential sponsor tell THEM what YOU can do for their business. Show a potential sponsor how you can improve their business and if you are lucky enough to get that sponsor work your @$$ off for them. That shows other potential sponsors how good you are.

Good luck with sponsorship. You might try to "pre-sell" your leftovers to friends. They pay the cost of the meat you are cooking, and get the leftovers in return. That's how I work it so I don't have a freezer full of BBQ, and they are getting competition quality BBQ at cost. I don't worry about chicken since it is cheap and there isn't much left anyway. It isn't a cheap sport. It is expensive to travel, enter the comps, buy the meat, seasonings, tools (cambros, injectors, etc...) with no guarantees of anything except getting to cook some food, drink some beer, and hang out with folks who enjoy the same thing. If you're lucky, you get a call...then you're hooked...then you're poor.

Never gave much thought to sponsorship ... kind of figure BBQ was like my Photography and Scuba hobbies - EXPENSIVE. Heck the pit alone is going to run me around $6K. Everything I read doing a search earlier pretty much supports what these guys are saying. Got to put some time and energy in and then go from there. My buddy and I aren't even planning on starting competing until after we've been to a few events, learned more, and got a bit more practice in. One thing we did score on was my brother's company is a label printing company and they are going to do a couple banners and stuff for us with their company name in small print at the bottom ... so again looks like mostly who you know. Good luck.

You're headed in the wrong direction from the start. Don't worry about sponsors until you can offer them something in return...ie get hardware and a few wins.

If you need help paying for your first comps then talk to friends and family. Make a budget and sell your booth on Friday night as a hangout to your friends. Have them kick in $20-$30 bucks for a good time.

Or grab some like minded folks to split the cost with you as you learn. Its amazing how many Comps you can do with a team of 4-6 splitting the bills.

You're headed in the wrong direction from the start. Don't worry about sponsors until you can offer them something in return...ie get hardware and a few wins.

If you need help paying for your first comps then talk to friends and family. Make a budget and sell your booth on Friday night as a hangout to your friends. Have them kick in $20-$30 bucks for a good time.

Or grab some like minded folks to split the cost with you as you learn. Its amazing how many Comps you can do with a team of 4-6 splitting the bills.

+1 to this. On my own, I have been able to do a few comps, but it has always been a struggle financially. I have done this about as cheaply as it can be done for a solo backyard team (borrowed EZ-up, borrowed tables, bought a WSM from CL, cooked on a kettle, etc.) and I have met some great folks willing to help whenever possible, but that will only get you so far.

I worked with a team that asked me to put together their turn in boxes for a comp late last year and we got a rib call and 2nd place in backyard. They graciously asked me to join their team for 2013, which means I may have to compromise how I like to do things somewhat, but this will enable me to participate in several comps instead of the one or two a year I could afford to do on my own. As said above, splitting the cost several ways will really help cut down on your expenses. Good luck!

We competed for nine years and made a name for ourselves, and finally a sweet sponsorship opportunity fell in our lap 3 years ago. They provide entry fees up to $300 and a meat stipend. We keep our winnings and give them trophies we win. We also hang their banner and promote their business when we can. It is a win win deal for both parties. It is kind of a pain the butt sometimes, but the benefit out weighs the inconvenience.

Don't expect to put your hand out and have some business slap some money into it. A sponsorship is a two way street. You are in effect getting paid for providing a service to the sponsor. That service could be anything the sponsor feels will promote his business. It is difficult to get a sponsor right out of the gate because you have little to offer. You are an unknown having never competed before. If you are lucky enough to find someone willing to sponsor you, draw up a formal contract. The contract will protect you both as it will spell out specifically what is expected of each of you. This is afterall, a business to business transaction and should be treated as such.

Welcome to one of the most, if not THE most expensive camping clubs around.
Last year was the first year we competed, and one of the worst things happened to us (my wife and I) at our first contest. We got THREE calls. 8th in pork 3rd in brisket an 7th over all. I was hooked.

On average we spent between $750 and $1000 per weekend on meat,rubs,sauces, injections, entry fees, food, beer and gas per contest.

As said above, expensive hobby.

Good luck in the coming season and with your sponsors.

You may want to look into getting a team mate to help with the costs. Like everyone has said sponsors will come with success in comps.

Don't forget: the bigger the check, the bigger the hook.

As Guy said, no sponsor is looking to give you money. They have their own agenda of what they expect in return. Make both parties understand and agree to the other's needs or it's gonna be a rocky marriage.

Thanks for all the feed back I am gonna take everything into consideration, thanks

Back