Wally World brisket with nice flat

daninnewjersey

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Decided late last week I needed to do some brisket practice over the weekend. Took a cruise out to the local Walmart to see what they had available. Usually they have 4-5 available. Well, to my surprise sitting in the way back of the shelf was this beauty. It was love at first sight. I took my new 13 pound bundle of joy home as fast as I could.

Trimmed of some of her baby fat, she received a decent coating of black pepper and kosher salt. She then went into my preheated drum smoker (no temp gauge on the smoker since I stepped on it a few weeks ago) which had 2 of her 3 vents open. about 5 hours later I took her out since she felt right (using hands only not a probe). However, when I probed her inside the house I realized the flat wasn't done enough. I wrapped her in paper and gave her another hour or so. She then probed perfectly so she came out for a cool down rest on the counter. Started slicing and was pretty happy with the results....very juicy, tender, and not too much smoke. Thanks for checking her out....

Last edited:
:thumb:Didn't your Momma teach ya to share your stuff??? Where's mine!?!:p

Hi Excellent job on the brisket, was it choice or select? Did it come out juicy? My briskets come out on the dry side for the flats.
My Walmart up here in North NJ usually has select. Was there on New Years Day and they had choice brisket..Pick up one didn't get around to cooking it yet.
I usually buy my briskets at Restaurant Depot.
Dan

nice looking cook...I went to Wally World yesterday...they had whole packers 1.50 a pound, needless to say I bought them all

Hi Excellent job on the brisket, was it choice or select? Did it come out juicy? I usually buy my briskets at Restaurant Depot.
Dan

Thanks for the kind words...it was choice and yeah....really juicy. The first 3 slices have crappy lighting but they were not dry at all. And if the closest RD wasn't 60 miles away I'd be buying there for sure....

The briskets at my Walmart are rarely a good size. That one looks awesome.

I have gotten plenty of decent packers at walmart. Nothing AMAZING, but good enough that if you cook it right, it'll be delicious. Great pricing usually as well.

I didn't even know Walmart sold brisket...Most of mine come from a butcher, but if I get lazy they come from Costco.

I'm a big fan of leaving the fat cap on the way you did. I favor injecting some broth when I leave it on like that though since I don't figure any of my seasoning is going to be touching meat. Beautiful results from an ugly smoker :-D

Back