• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
HeSmellsLikeSmoke said:
No standard price. As best as I can remember, we have seen anywhere from $25-40 dollars reported on here.

When I called around, sandblasting companies quoted me $70/hr, estimated that sandblasting a drum inside and out would be about a half hour, so $35 or so. I think it could go as high as $50 at that rate... A drum is 23 square feet on the inside and 23 square feet on the outside, including the lid. I think a half hour is a bit optimistic for both sides of the drum...

-r

I am about 3/4 way through my second (the first real ) cook on my UDS and I have found something I am going to imediately change on my UDS. Details to follow later.

Well, the sun is supposed to be shining tomorrow so I will be completing my UDS and seasoning it. Woohoo! Pics to follow.

Are you going to install some sort of fill spout so you can fill it when it gets low. On a long cook you could run out of water and then you would have a very pronounced burnt metal pan smell. Also I would think you will have to play with your vents a little to compensate for the additional heating and cooling effect of the water.

Just my thoughts.

I was waiting to see how my Pork but came out before I made my final decision. This change is purely personal preference. I am going to add another grate right above the charcoal box and add a water pan.

I was waiting to see how my Pork but came out before I made my final decision. This change is purely personal preference. I am going to add another grate right above the charcoal box and add a water pan.

Somthing burning your butt??:laugh: Are you doing a hot and fast on the UDS?

Somthing burning your butt??:laugh: Are you doing a hot and fast on the UDS?

No, I was just farking with you farkers to see if I would get dog piled. :pop2::laugh: Everything came out fine. It took a little while to get use to controlling the heat with a full grill, but I was able to keep a solid 245 to 250 during the whole cook. Got better than a twelve hour burn out of a full basket It burned longer but I did not stay up to see when it finally died out. Overall very pleased with it. The food was great.

I use a terracotta pot base wrapped in aluminum foil but more for catching grease then diffusing heat.

Has it ever burned? Is terracotta very heat resistant? Thanks for your help.

One of the reasons I'd like a diffuser is because I've heard that their are frequent big flare ups with a UDS when you try to get your food out. I'm thinking a diffuser can help give me more time getting the food in and out, or when checking for temps.

Thanks!

I cooked on my UDS yesterday in the wind. I just shut down my air intakes before opening. I did what I needed to do as quickly as possible put the lid back on and opened the intakes back up to get it to proper temps.

Hi all.

I was talkin to my uncle today and he said he will build my uds for me as long as I buy the parts, How ever I'm having a hard time trying to find grill grates, fastiners, flues, ( Ok maybe not flues, they could be drain grates ).

So I have an Idea for my stick USD which my uncle will build for me but where can I buy the partz from?????

Hi all.

I was talkin to my uncle today and he said he will build my uds for me as long as I buy the parts, How ever I'm having a hard time trying to find grill grates, fastiners, flues, ( Ok maybe not flues, they could be drain grates ).

So I have an Idea for my stick USD which my uncle will build for me but where can I buy the partz from?????

This thread is full of answers to your questions and is a fun read.

Back