Difference between semi stiff and flex boning knife?

Trumpstylz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Okay, I understand that one is obviously a little stiffer, but can someone give me some insight where one might be better than the other? I'm looking at the victornox, rada, chicago cutlery, and dexter MIU france (very inexpensive).

Last edited:
Victornox would be an excellent choice. Because they are really a commercial brand (once only sold at restaurant supplies). They have a lower price point than some of the retail brands. As for the semi stiff vs flex debate like most things opinions vary. I like the flex because I feel it is easier to get around bones. To be honest I don't feel there is a ton of difference between the two.

As for the semi stiff vs flex debate like most things opinions vary. I like the flex because I feel it is easier to get around bones. .

I actually would be using it more for trimming than actual bone work (the only time i really deal with bones are sometimes w/ bone in pork butts or ribs).

I use the Victornox boning knife – stiff. I find that it is pretty much my go to knife when it comes to meat. Keeps a good edge and feels good in my hand. I have not really had much need for a flexible one. I also have some of the Rada knifes which I love – I use them mainly for vegetables. Rada is a good brand for the money.

I couldn't decide between the two and bought both! Now I use the stiff one all the time, the other one stays in my knife bag and never gets used.

Stiff.
Goes exactly where you point it and no flex wastage.
Nothing like a stiffy.
:whistle:

I prefer a stiff boning knife as well, a much more precise tool. Flexible is great for fileting fish (although Japanese do not use a flexible knife for filet work) and for detailed boning off of curved bones, the stiff just is more precise and faster.

I have both the Victorinox straight stiff boning knife and a curved flexible boning knife. I use the straight/stiff for trimming chicken. I actually prefer the curved/flexible for the other cuts.

Back