• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Starting a new contest.

MAP

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
A charitable organization that I belong to is wanting to start an annual contest in our area. We are doing a small rib and chicken backyard event this year and are looking to be a full sanctioned event in 1214. We know that you don’t make much if any off of the BBQ contest it's self but we have an inside on a BIG name to do a concert on Saturday night. The organization that I belong to has myself and members of 2 other cook teams so we know what will attract teams, large prize purse, and amenities and such.

I was just wanting to know what it takes (other than the application) to get sanctioned and what would draw you in as a team?

Thanks in advance

Down here, you can fairly easily draw 45 teams with $10k purse, running water, electricity and most of the cook sites fairly flat. Bump that to $12-15k, a few more amenities (possibly free ice, breakfast, cool, hand-made trophies and decent word-of-mouth advertising and you're going to hit near 60 teams.

• Thanks
Reactions: MAP
Down here, you can fairly easily draw 45 teams with $10k purse, running water, electricity and most of the cook sites fairly flat. Bump that to $12-15k, a few more amenities (possibly free ice, breakfast, cool, hand-made trophies and decent word-of-mouth advertising and you're going to hit near 60 teams.

It will be at our fairgrounds whitch is huge and flat and we are looking at 15K in prize money.

Mike

You should contact the KCBS office, if that is the sanctioning body you want for your contest.

Another contact would be the KCBS Contest Representatives in your area:

George & Donna Baroody
Frederick, MD
gb@porkbellybandits.com
red@porkbellybandits.com

The reps will have a lot of your answers...

i'm also organizing a first year contest. when we approached teams about what would appeal to them, what pigs said and also having our payouts for top 10 overall and top 10 in each category.

communication with the teams and judges is also important. nobody likes to be left hanging.

i also send our reps a monthly update on our status, even if it doesn't change much.

It will be at our fairgrounds whitch is huge and flat and we are looking at 15K in prize money.

Call the office, and/or visit kcbs.us and get the new organizers packet. There are a lot of answers in there for you. There is a requirement for a new organizer to get some training from an existing contest/organizer. A detailed event plan may be substituted, but I'd strongly suggest that you contact a respected organizer about attending their contest to check that box.

$15k in purse money....you need to get sanctioned. Otherwise, you are going to have a bunch of backyard teams and a few pro teams show up. Guess who is probably going to take home most all the money?

A shortcut to circumvent the organizer training might be to hire a seasoned organizer.

A charitable organization that I belong to is wanting to start an annual contest in our area. We are doing a small rib and chicken backyard event this year and are looking to be a full sanctioned event in 1214. We know that you don’t make much if any off of the BBQ contest it's self but we have an inside on a BIG name to do a concert on Saturday night. The organization that I belong to has myself and members of 2 other cook teams so we know what will attract teams, large prize purse, and amenities and such.

I was just wanting to know what it takes (other than the application) to get sanctioned and what would draw you in as a team?

Thanks in advance

Mike I think you're biggest issue is going to be date conflicts, as you know there are tons of events in our region. Are you talking St. Mary's? With 15k in prizes you won't have any trouble getting teams. Let me know if we can help.

• Thanks
Reactions: MAP
Mike I think you're biggest issue is going to be date conflicts, as you know there are tons of events in our region. Are you talking St. Mary's? With 15k in prizes you won't have any trouble getting teams. Let me know if we can help.

I will be at the MABA banquet I would love to talk to about this and what we can do to get MABA involved as well. It is going to be at the St Marys fairgrounds and looking at the 2013 KCBS event calander we are looking at the first weekend of August not much in our area at that time.

Hey check out CompBBQ.com! We help new organizers and experienced organizers with their contests and most of the administrative work with a contest.

Back