MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #7786
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipW View Post
I'm a much better painter with my hvlp than I am with a rattle can. As for how much, I have three to do now that friends are getting bitten by the bug.
HVLP sweet! You should be able to blast out some of that ceramic header paint.
Have a look around or contact them for colors.

http://nomorerust.com/highheat/diy.html

Dupli Color’s High Heat with Ceramic is good up to 1200 degrees but I do not know if it comes in quarts. You could get it powder coated.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #7787
Demosthenes
Full Fledged Farker

Default Sandblasting a drum

Just call a pit maker that advertised sandblasting as one of their services. I thought, "great", I can finally take my 85 gallon overpack drum and get it sandblasted. I'm not sure what was in the drum before I purchased it for $40, but figured what ever "was" in it, could be sandblasted out. (I don't want to try to burn out whatever was in there off). The fellow says he can't do it because the metal is to thin (16 gauge) and because it only has one opened end, which would cause "blowback". Is this guy yanking my chain because he doesn't want to do it...or is he being straight up with me? The reason I ask, is because, "somewhere", on one of these 500+ pages I thought I read where someone had their drum sandblasted.
Thanx for any feedback.....
Demosthenes
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #7788
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornia View Post
Just curious, now that I've got my UDS up and running:

Are you guys using lump or briquettes in your UDS? Or might that be determined upon what your cooking (ie. Ribs vs. Brisket)?

Any and all help greatly appreciated!
I use a mix of whatever lump I have on hand at the time and Kingsford Competition briquettes.

I finally found some Royal Oak lump so I'll be using it in tomorrows cook but I'll still mix it with the Briqs.
BlueHowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #7789
Jay871
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
Just call a pit maker that advertised sandblasting as one of their services. I thought, "great", I can finally take my 85 gallon overpack drum and get it sandblasted. I'm not sure what was in the drum before I purchased it for $40, but figured what ever "was" in it, could be sandblasted out. (I don't want to try to burn out whatever was in there off). The fellow says he can't do it because the metal is to thin (16 gauge) and because it only has one opened end, which would cause "blowback". Is this guy yanking my chain because he doesn't want to do it...or is he being straight up with me? The reason I ask, is because, "somewhere", on one of these 500+ pages I thought I read where someone had their drum sandblasted.
Demosthenes
I had my drum sandblasted and it turned out great. Paid $40 to have it done but it saved me a lot of headache.
Jay871 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 11:45 PM   #7790
Bacon1632
Found some matches.

I use a mixture of regular Kingsford charcoal and hickory, cherry, apple, or whatever else I can get my grubby little mitts on!

Old 04-14-2011, 11:52 PM   #7791
Fornia
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
Demosthenes
Just had 2 'burned and blasted' $50 each.

The guy seemed straight up, but did say "you made a wise choice in having us burn before blasting, because of the inside fresh paint". For whatever thats worth.

The blast alone was $35 each, the burn in his big oven cost $15 each.

He didn't say anything about blowback.
Fornia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 08:01 AM   #7792
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaseS10 View Post
This is a good idea. I was thinking about adding a water pan anyway after talking to a friend of mine. So i'll have that going in a couple days. Thanks for all the help, guys.
To use the UDS as a grill is really a piece of cake. I've done it and it worked. Though my Weber 18" still way out performs for grilling.

Most people put 2 sets of bolts in the UDS for like a bottom rack and upper rack for smoking. Just use the bottom rack as a charcoal rack and food on the upper.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #7793
PhilipW
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:

The guy seemed straight up, but did say "you made a wise choice in having us burn before blasting, because of the inside fresh paint". For whatever thats worth.

What kind of a place had the capability to burn it in an oven? Sounds interesting.
PhilipW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #7794
The Smokin Texan
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default First USD Build

I am planing on building a USD. I am going to get an unpainted unlined open top 55 gallon drum. In the lid I plan on putting 6 to 8 1/4" holes and 3 to 4 3/4" holes about an inch from the bottom. I plan on putting 2 grates one about 6 inches from the top and another about 4 inches lower than that in case I want to do a beer can chicken or a thick brisket. I am going to make a coal basket out of expanded wire and if this gives the coals to much air I will line the sides with metal and just leave the bottom with the wire mesh so coals can fall through. I will put a handle on the lid and a thermostat and then oil the drum and cook a hot fire to season it.

This is my first USD so if anybody has any suggestions on my design or if yall see an obvious mistaken I am making please let me know. Also should I strip the paint and repaint with High temp BBQ Paint. I do expect to run the pit over 350. Will the barrel paint hold up to this?

The Smokin Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #7795
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

Red face

I occasionally fill my basket with lump - but generally add some pecan branches to it. As the basket burns down (over a lot of burns), I keep adding more and more branches. Last week I did 9hrs over a handful of branches I collected from the yard - there was pretty much no lump left when I started.

That said, I cheat with a BBQ Guru. It makes stick burning easy.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #7796
Fornia
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipW View Post
What kind of a place had the capability to burn it in an oven? Sounds interesting.
Inghams's Powder Coating - Stevens, PA

www.inghamspowdercoating.com
Fornia is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #7797
Demosthenes
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

Thanx Fornia......

I may seek out a auto collision center to see if they can do it.

This guy was gunna charge me $100 right off the bat.....sight unseen.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #7798
Jay871
Knows what a fatty is.

I had my barrell burned and blasted at heat treating/sand blasting shop. Worked out great.
Jay871 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #7799
Sterling
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Smokin Texan View Post
I am planing on building a USD. I am going to get an unpainted unlined open top 55 gallon drum. In the lid I plan on putting 6 to 8 1/4" holes and 3 to 4 3/4" holes about an inch from the bottom. I plan on putting 2 grates one about 6 inches from the top and another about 4 inches lower than that in case I want to do a beer can chicken or a thick brisket. I am going to make a coal basket out of expanded wire and if this gives the coals to much air I will line the sides with metal and just leave the bottom with the wire mesh so coals can fall through. I will put a handle on the lid and a thermostat and then oil the drum and cook a hot fire to season it.

This is my first USD so if anybody has any suggestions on my design or if yall see an obvious mistaken I am making please let me know. Also should I strip the paint and repaint with High temp BBQ Paint. I do expect to run the pit over 350. Will the barrel paint hold up to this?

Hi, Texan!

I think you're on the right track here, except for the exhaust holes. I'd make the exhaust holes on the lid at least 1/2" or maybe even 5/8" diameter. 1/4" won't give you the airflow you need to get rid of stale smoke. Put the holes in the bottom of the barrel about 2 1/2" to 3" above the bottom. Your basket, as planned, will be great.

How are you planning to control the airflow into the bottom holes?

The paint you indicate will be fine.

Other than that, looks good!

Born just fine the first time, thanks...
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #7800
Jeff S.
Full Fledged Farker

Default Two more go to Paint

Jeff S.

Trailer'd LownSlo 48" x 20" with a Char-Broil Grill
Hinged Dome UDS, Weber Kettle lid UDS
Weber Performer
[COLOR=red]Red (Super Lightning Fast)Lithium-Ion powered ThermoPen[/COLOR]
2 Modded ET-73's 2 stock '73's
IGrill