MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:43 PM   #46
didisea
Take a breath!

I would suggest Draper Valley chicken, or Smart Chicken if you wanted to spend more. I would start with 20 pieces. The problem is that the US meat industry likes to put the "Papa, Mom, Kid, Kid" size pieces in a package, so I try and find the packages with the highest weight and the most even sizes. You are going to get some small pieces, but they will just become the pieces that go in the corners of the pan, and not make the final cut after cooking.
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #47
DECENT BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by didisea View Post
I would suggest Draper Valley chicken, or Smart Chicken if you wanted to spend more. I would start with 20 pieces. The problem is that the US meat industry likes to put the "Papa, Mom, Kid, Kid" size pieces in a package, so I try and find the packages with the highest weight and the most even sizes. You are going to get some small pieces, but they will just become the pieces that go in the corners of the pan, and not make the final cut after cooking.
Where can I get these?
DECENT BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2019, 07:58 PM   #48
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DECENT BBQ View Post
Where can I get these?
https://shop.smartchicken.com/retail....3324737490001

https://www.drapervalleyfarms.com/pr.../where-to-buy/

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2019, 02:53 PM   #49
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DECENT BBQ View Post
Dang, really!? I didn't think those would score anything above a 5 at best!

As far as sizing goes, where do you guys get your thighs? These were from Costco, and the sizes were all over the place.
Unfortunately the way judging is these days, you have to do something really bad to get a 5. Especially in Appearance. I seriously think you couldBurn them, and just toss them in haphazardly, and as long as they were all skin side up (ok, skin isn't required - bone size down), then you'd get 6s and a couple 7s.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:39 PM   #50
didisea
Take a breath!

Smart chicken can be had at Central Market. It goes in the case on Monday's and Friday, so one of those days has the best selection. (At least at the Central Market in Mill Creek).

Draper Valley is at many stores, QFC, Central Market. Not sure what the supply looks like at Albertsons or Safeway.

I think the "house brand" at PCC is Mary's Chicken, although I'd verify that with the butcher. If you don't see enough product out on the shelf, ask the butcher for it in bulk if your buying 20 pieces.

I would stay away from the Costco Foster Farms, and Tysons.
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2019, 08:47 PM   #51
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Are the wash/rinse/sanitize bins required?

Seems easier to bring multiple knives and a stack of disposable cutting boards and just use a fresh one each time than mess with bins of water.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2019, 01:05 AM   #52
ronbrad62
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Ron

[QUOTE=Rockinar;4134168]Are the wash/rinse/sanitize bins required?

Seems easier to bring multiple knives and a stack of disposable cutting boards and just use a fresh one each time than mess with bins of water.[/QUOTE

Check your rules. KCBS requires that set up, but most probably do just what you mentioned.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #53
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

I would reach out to the organizers. Seems pretty regional whether they check that.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #54
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

I love these threads. I don't compete but have a lot of respect for guys jumping in for the first time and all of you giving them advice and help. I'm confident in my backyard, at a campsite, or at a catered event, but competing would be WAY out of my comfort zone. And if I did start, I would get obsessed just like I did with every other hobby I have, and I don't have the time or money for another one. I'll just keep living vicariously through others, going to competitions and watching and talking to the backyard teams who want to share. Oh, and following this thread!

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-07-2019, 07:49 PM   #55
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

This is a good thread and I think your chicken looks pretty good and would score it a 6-7 on appearance.

Some guys I know are planning for their first comp in the fall and invited me to help with the planning, practice cooks and of course cooking at the comp. We actually started the practice cooks a month ago with chicken thighs, the following cook was both drumsticks and lolipops, and the third practice run was Cornish hens.... taking careful notes along the way. We have our seasonings, timing and sauce squared away. Still need to fine tune the trimming and boxing, but chicken is cheap and we've got many months ahead. At some point I'll make the similar type of post as you did.

I'm looking forward to a follow up report after your comp.....

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2019, 12:01 AM   #56
bigcatkim
Found some matches.

I'm going into my second year adn all I can say "Damn good advice here"! I've been judging (KCBS) for 5 years, so I've seen things up close and understood what was needed. Until you do it, you just know the details. Good luck!
bigcatkim is offline   Reply With Quote