Turning down a job...

R

Rhapsody

I have been doing small pickup catering this summer. Actually, I only did it for 2 people. So I had one of these 2 people come back to me and want 10 lbs of pulled pork to bring with them to a friends. So I agreed and then I get an email today saying that the friend doesn't eat pork and if I could do brisket instead. I do brisket at home but it is nowhere near as ready and refined as my pork is, and I wouldn't be comfortable serving it right now. Its good, just not consistant enough. I explained this to the customer. Is that foolish of me? I don't think I should lie and say its amazing, when even I know its not. I just want to keep some intergrity behind my name and bbq. Is that wrong? I just want to make sure I'm not crazy.

You did the same thing that I would have done. It's a tough call, however. What you think is just OK brisket is probably still better than these folks have ever eaten :-D.

I'm with Ron on this one, although it's probably the best Brisket those folks have ever had, until you feel comfortable with it it's not ready.

Well, if you tell the customer upfront that it's not your best product and that you're still working on it, it would at least give them the option. Besides, if you accepted, it would also serve as a chance for you to practice.

I don't think you're crazy, but it could be a missed opportunity. If not to make money, to practice and round out your repertoire. It's not like you've never done a brisket before, so it's probably pretty low risk.

I'd have been up front like you were, and offered to still do it at a reduced price. That way you get to cook another brisket, and not have to shell out $$ from your own pocket.

That's a win/win right there.

I would have offered another meat if your not comfortable with brisket, like pulled chicken or something, so your friend isnt left hanging. Though Ill bet you, your brisket is better than you think!

thanks for all the replies. Its not that its BAD , but it just isn't nearly as consistant as my ribs or pork. I thought about chicken, but the customer is bringing this up to Rhode Island in a cooler and I wouldn't trust chicken that long.

I probably would have stated up front that it wasn't your best product and that you'e working on it in order to make it more consistant. Then offered to cook it at cost (including supplies).

I would have been honest with them and told them up front that you are still not as consistent with briskets as you would like to be at this time. Then I would have told them I would do the briskets for them at my cost because I would value their feed-back as to what they thought of the finished product ( a little ego pump for them for their opinion ) . Then the choice would have been their's as to have you cook them or not. I'm betting they would have done it and you would have kept a customer happy and got to practice cooking briskets for free.

I probably would have stated up front that it wasn't your best product and that you'e working on it in order to make it more consistant. Then offered to cook it at cost (including supplies).

I'd have been up front like you were, and offered to still do it at a reduced price. That way you get to cook another brisket, and not have to shell out $$ from your own pocket.

^^^^ What they said.... (Just so I don't have to agree with Ron....)

"When you say no, there is someone right behind you DYING to say yes."
Steven B Goot, my business mentor.

GO FOR IT, WE WILL HELP!
JW

I concur with some of the above. Try it, if it stinks atleast it gives you a reason to practice!

Jeff

I agree, as long as you were upfront and honest, the feedback is always welcomed. As stated before, we are our own worst critics.

thanks for all the replies. Its not that its BAD , but it just isn't nearly as consistant as my ribs or pork. I thought about chicken, but the customer is bringing this up to Rhode Island in a cooler and I wouldn't trust chicken that long.

i don't think anyones brisket is as consistant as their ribs and pork! if it ain't BAD it's probably pretty darn GOOD! don't deprive these folks of your brisket! but i would give it to them whole and foiled, just off the cooker at 185* or 190* for the ride up and let them slice it when they get there.

I agree with most everything that's been said. Be honest and make sure they know what they're getting. Do it at cost or close to it if you want to hedge your bets. You are probably your own worst critic so it'll prolly be really good. Don't do it if you are really uncomfortable though as you should not sell/serve something you doubt.

Quick story on this though: Last year I did one of the largest cooke ever for me. Twenty-eight butts for a neighborhood fundraiser, and it was using a cooker I had never seen before the day of the event. Everything went weird: The rub was too solid to use, I only had Kingsford for smoke, and the temp spiked up to 350 right at the end, AFTER I probed one of the buts at 190, but rather than take them off immdediately, some one decided to wait until the cooker cooled down some. I was really nervous, but it turned out to be really, really good. I got several compliments, and I even thought it was worth eating myself (own worst critic and all that). Turned out they pulled and sold every last butt, and it was the first year ever that they did that. I was happy and impressed. Not saying that that always happens, but it can.

Finally, a suggestion that I haven't seen before on this thread: Why not do a Chuck Roll? It's basically the Boston butt of beef and IMHO is about as forgiving. Since your client's client doesn't eat pork, this should be okay with him, and survive the ride to wherever. If you haven't done one, you might not want a for profit gig to be your first, but I think it's a great alternative. Only bad things are the cost (~$2/lb), and the fact that they take for ever to cook (~24 hours). They are boneless though and have less loss than pork butts.

dmp

Go for it, I bet your ok is great to them. If they cannot do brisket, they will love yours.

Back