Weber Kettle Mod help

Lowbrass

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Picked up a 22.5" Weber kettle off of CL for $20 last weekend. The thing is in pristine condition. It has the one touch silver ash catcher but it isn't a one touch. How easy would it be to turn it into a one touch after ordering the replacement accessories from Weber? Also, if someone has a couple of spare minutes, can you take some pics of the inside of your Weber One touch and the bottom so I have something to compare mine with?

On a side note, I picked up a Smoky Mountain Series Smoker (you can hook it up to a propane tank) of off CL for $30. Picking it up tomorrow. It spent 2 years in the guys garage and has never even been opened. Hoping to flip it on ebay with the profit (if any) going towards a WSM. Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom

Are you sure it's a One-Touch Silver or a Bar-B-Kettle? Does it have a Y shaped cut out or 3 daisy wheel vents in the bowl? The OT ash sweeps are a $10 part and should only take @15 mins. to replace.
Here is a link for Weber Replacement Parts and Grill identification:

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/support/part/default.aspx?t=c&client=part

Hope this helps!

Brian

Brian da swamp man knows all and tells all when it comes to all things Weber.
My fathers day gifts are completely centered on my mine. New grate with the sides that flip up, side charcoal holders, and new handles..

At last weekend's comp, the guy behind me had a Smoky Mountain Smoker and it didn't seem to bad. Hell of a lot better than similar Brinkmann vertical units. It must have had a fairly good seal around the door, I didn't see any smoke come out the door.

Are you sure it's a One-Touch Silver or a Bar-B-Kettle? Does it have a Y shaped cut out or 3 daisy wheel vents in the bowl? The OT ash sweeps are a $10 part and should only take @15 mins. to replace.
Here is a link for Weber Replacement Parts and Grill identification:

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/support/part/default.aspx?t=c&client=part

Hope this helps!

Brian

Thanks for the link, it is a Bar-B-Kettle, I was asking if it would be easy to turn it into a one touch, I was kind of hoping so but if not, oh well!

Last edited:
I asked what Kettle people would prefer if they had a choice on the VB site and though I only got about 8 replies most everyone preferred the old style daisy wheel vents to the One-Touch.

Brian

I asked what Kettle people would prefer if they had a choice on the VB site and though I only got about 8 replies most everyone preferred the old style daisy wheel vents to the One-Touch.

Brian
Make that one more here as well. I missed that question.

I see there are a lot more people from here on the VWB site than I thought. I did a search last night on Weber grill history, and came up with the Bullet history and differences from inception. Another with a one page poster type with picture of certain grills and when they were introduced.

Anyone have a link that describes the detailed kettles and grill history, differences, years of manufacture, when they quit making the models, etc?

Lowbrass, Ive got a One touch Silver and Ive got no desire to mod it to the fancy ash pan. Ive heard that it can affect air low. Even if it does or not, the simple design of the Silver works just fine.

But thats just me. I like revolvers, pump shot guns and manual window cranks in my truck- no power windows, no power locks. K.I.S.S.

".....I wanna Rock-N-Roll all niiiiight, and party everyday...."

KISS ROCKED in the late 70's early 80's. Great drinkin' music!

Oh, yeah, on topic. If its a BarBKettle, stick with the 3 daisy wheels. More versatile fire control, allows you to compensate for wind or what not. Beside, the blades in a one touch are not wide enough to cover the 4 holes in a BarBKettle. They are made to fit a single elongated hole.

Last edited:
I see there are a lot more people from here on the VWB site than I thought. I did a search last night on Weber grill history, and came up with the Bullet history and differences from inception. Another with a one page poster type with picture of certain grills and when they were introduced.

Anyone have a link that describes the detailed kettles and grill history, differences, years of manufacture, when they quit making the models, etc?

Got inspired by that Mike and changed my avatar :mrgreen:

went to lowes tonite they have a 22 1/2 kettle grill on sale for like 29.00 it has a ash tray under it like the webber does.does any body know if they are good grills

I have cooked on the old daisy wheel vent style model for at least a couple decades.

I recently cooked on a Performer that has the One Touch system. I LIKED it. :-o

I think that people will always prefer which ever tool they know the best.

If folks had the opportunity to cook a lot on both styles their opinions might change.

I also recently replaced my O L D daisy style 22.5" kettle with a new 22.5" Silver One Touch.

Its maiden voyage was last weekend. It's every bit as good as the Performer, even without the ash catcher hootie . . . but I can see where that enclosure would come in handy if you were cooking on a wooden deck or some other surface that might burst into flames from a stray coal.

They should call them ash - AND COAL - catchers. :-D

Yeah, I like the vents. I've been making big mounds of husked in the husk corn with a small pile of coals and a little bit of soaked mesquite on top.
In an hour or so I gots me some corn that rocks!

"....Shout it, shout it, shout it out loud..."

".....I wanna Rock-N-Roll all niiiiight, and party everyday...."

KISS ROCKED in the late 70's early 80's. Great drinkin' music!

Oh for gods sake!:mad: farkers :lol: :lol: crackin me up :lol:

Keep It Simple Stupid is what I was saying!!!! Lord have mercy... Im goin back to Woodpile :grin:

Back