ManGrates: Product Review (Long pron)

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
When someone asked me recently if I would give a product called ManGrate a try, I said sure! I mean, after all, who doesn't like to try out new products for the grill? I told them that if I like the product I would even right up a review on it. Normally, if I don't like a product, I don't bother with writing a review. The way I look at it, there are a lot of people trying to make it in today's economy and although their product might not appeal to me, it make be the most fantastic thing other people have ever seen. It's not up to me to ruin those potential customers for them. Now, all that being said, I think it's pretty obvious that my view of the product is positive or you wouldn't be reading this. But, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I received my ManGrate package in the mail. The box was pretty and you could tell by the weight that there was definitely some heavy metal inside.
229247190.jpg

Inside were two ManGrates (Cast Iron Grates) and a ManGrate Wire Brush along with a explanation of proper use and care of your ManGrates.
058.jpg

Cast Iron has to be one of my favorite things on the planet and I have quite a bit of experience with it but, I decided to follow all of the ManGrate instructions when it came to seasoning them. Before I started I had a feeling that these would work best on a gas grill but, I don’t normally cook on one so, I didn’t use one. I fired up the OTG and placed the ManGrates on it directly over the coals. ManGrates are designed to go over your existing grating system and not as replacements. I placed them so they line up with the original grate as best as possible.
061.jpg

The grates were then sprayed down with some oil, WARNING! Spraying grates with oil while they are over a lit fire is very, very dangerous! That being said, I did it anyway and enjoyed dodging the fire ball that leapt out at me due to it. Once the grates were oiled, they were left to heat up and allow the oil to soak in.
063.jpg

My thoughts for putting the ManGrates through their paces was to cook a variety of different meats on them but, when it comes to using Cast Iron Grates, I always put beef at the top of my list, so I started by throwing on a couple of small steaks.
068.jpg

Theses steaks might have been a smidge larger than normal but, I was only able to fit two of them on the ManGrates.
072.jpg

After the first minute or two on the grates, I decided to rotate the steaks to get that classic diamond pattern on them. I must say, I was quite satisfied with the grill marks they put on in that initial short amount of time.
073.jpg

The steaks took on the nice diamond pattern very well and, after a few more minutes from being flipped, they were ready to come off the grill.
074.jpg

079.jpg

For the next test, I decided to go for an American classic, brats! The idea behind this one was simple, a side by side comparison to see which would do better: the wire grating or the ManGrates.
013.jpg

They were both oiled up with the same spray.
014.jpg

And, they were both then rubbed with a wire brush once hot.
015.jpg

Then it was time to cook the brats!
016.jpg

019.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

In the end, I cooked on both surfaces for an equal amount of time and found that I equally burnt the heck out of all of them. The only comment other than that is it did appear that the ManGrates did have less hot spots to them then the wire grating did. That could have been due to the ManGrates being set up to cross the wire grating or just due to poor charcoal placement on my part. But, I did find it interesting.

The next test involved something that is a lot more delicate and potentially far more frustrating, chicken breasts. Grilled chicken breast is delicious but, it loves to stick to grates and often dries out. This usually has more to do with not cooking it over high enough heat than anything else but, still it can be an issue. To add further insult to injury, the chicken was also marinaded, which usually means that they are even more prone to stick to grates.
002.jpg

I set up the ManGrates this time to try to line up with the gaps in the wire grate. Sprayed them down with oil and then brushed them. This time there wasn’t going to be a side by side comparison.
003-1.jpg

Once the ManGrates were nice and hot, on went the chicken.
005-1.jpg

Quarter turn after 2 minutes, then they were flipped.
007.jpg

Another quarter turn and then off they came!
010.jpg

The chicken was very juicy and I used it to make some enchiladas. On this cook, I have to say that the ManGrates preformed very well. The chicken cooked quickly, there were few if any hot spots and the grill marks were excellent.

After the success with the chicken, I decided to put the ManGrates to the final test by cooking up some steaks once again but, to do another side by side comparison.
011-1.jpg

The two steaks that were closest in thickness were chosen to compete against one another. They both had similar rubs applied to them, the only difference being that the one on the right had a bit more pepper to it.
013-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

They were each turned at the same rate and flipped at the same rate.
017-1.jpg

During the whole cook process, the one on the left would not acquire any grill marks while you can clearly see that the ManGrates one did.
019-1.jpg

I double checked my fire and found that it was even all the way across both sides and when I cut into the steaks they both appeared to have the same doneness.
035.jpg

For the conclusion of this cook I would have to say that the overall quality of both was the same but, the steak cooked on the ManGrates was much more appealing to look at and may have received a better overall sear.
030.jpg

In the end, I would have to say that the ManGrates do excel over the traditional wire racks that most grills come with. Just look at this Porterhouse I recently cooked up on them.
013.jpg

024.jpg

026.jpg

Cast Iron has to be one of the best surfaces ever to cook on. I think most would agree with that. But, Cast Iron is not cheap and ManGrates are no exception to this. They can be quite spendy. I believe the set I have retails for around $80.00. This alone would cause quite a few people to shy away from them. I got to thinking about it though and the price isn’t that far out of line with most Cast Iron products of this same size. Truth be told though, the best thing to have would be full Cast Iron grates that are custom made to fit your grill and if you can afford it, I say go for it! But, ManGrates is a nice alternative for those who might not be able to afford full grating or have a cheap grill and can’t afford a new one with nice cast iron or enamel grates. As a mainly charcoal user, I like the fact that I can move them around on my grill and help create different cooking zones. I am looking forward to having a full Cast Iron grate for my OTG some day but, until then these ManGrates will definitely do the trick.

Thanks for looking! :thumb:

Well, you do need a grate to cook on... of course, you already have one. Am I missing something?

The wife sees a lot of my purchases as unnecessary... I think she'd laugh like he!! at a purchase like that one.

No thanks.

There's nothing like cast iron to produce great looking grill marks and a better sear on the surface of the meat. The way they hold the heat, and the thickness of the ribs make a big difference in the finished product. I borrow one of the rectangular cast iron grates from my Weber Genesis gasser when I'm grilling on the kettle. If I didn't already have the ones from the gasser, I would definitely consider ManGrates as a more affordable alternative to replacing the entire grate on the charcoal grill. My kettle is 26-3/4", so I'm not sure a cast iron replacement is even available.

Well, you do need a grate to cook on... of course, you already have one. Am I missing something?

The wife sees a lot of my purchases as unnecessary... I think she'd laugh like he!! at a purchase like that one.

No thanks.
:laugh:
Trust me, I'm a huge believer in "if it's not broke, don't fix it" I have the same belief with these. If what you have works and is producing results that you like than keep doing what you're doing. Like I said, if I could afford a whole cast iron grate, that would be what I would really want.

My wife thought these were a pretty ridiculous Idea at first as well.

First off, thank you for taking the time to do this review and share it with everyone here. I definitely like the idea of using the cast iron. I would more than likely pick up some of these grates if I could afford them. I sometimes struggle with sear marks when doing meats on the grill, especially steaks. This looks like a way to finally achieve the aesthetics I'm looking for. Thanks again!

:laugh:
Trust me, I'm a huge believer in "if it's not broke, don't fix it" I have the same belief with these. If what you have works and is producing results that you like than keep doing what you're doing. Like I said, if I could afford a whole cast iron grate, that would be what I would really want.

My wife thought these were a pretty ridiculous Idea at first as well.

Actually, for that price, not only can you afford a cast iron grate... you can get one that will replace the entire bottom grate, and it'll be more versatile.

I bought my 22.5 cast iron replacement grate for $89, and all four inserts can be adjusted at various angles.

IMO, this would be doable @ $39.95 - 49.95.

But essentially paying the same price you'd pay for an entire replacement grate lends credibility to our wives assertions.

I thought you did an excellent review, would like to have something like that but out of my range. Thanks for the review.

:bored:

Actually, for that price, not only can you afford a cast iron grate... you can get one that will replace the entire bottom grate, and it'll be more versitile.

I bought my 22.5 cast iron replacement grate for $89, and all four inserts can be adjusted at various angles.

Really? Where at? Cause my birthday is coming up. :becky:

Excellent review :thumb: However, the mangrate seems to be something i can definitely live without.

cig22-20griddle1.jpg

That sounds expensive when compared to this kick-arse CI grate I got for Christmas for around $90 plus $35 for the griddle-hot plate insert.
It rocks.

Really? Where at? Cause my birthday is coming up. :becky:

Got mine from Amazon... but just a few days ago, there was a thread with a link to a new company that had the 22 for the same price. What caught my interest was they also make a 26, which is hard to find.

I'll look for you and send the link.

Got mine from Amazon... but just a few days ago, there was a thread with a link to a new company that had the 22 for the same price. What caught my interest was they also make a 26, which is hard to find.

I'll look for you and send the link.

cig22-20griddle1.jpg

That sounds expensive when compared to this kick-arse CI grate I got for Christmas for around $90 plus $35 for the griddle-hot plate insert.
It rocks.

Thanks for the info! :becky:

Grilling on CI is the way to go imho. I have had the craycort grates on my performer for a couple of years with great results. Keep CI clean and seasoned and it will last a lifetime.:thumb:

Not to defecate in anyone's punch bowl, but I prefer the Weber 7436 Replacement Hinged Cooking Grate given the amount of neglect & abuse I subject my grates to. Besides, it's under $20.

I usually just take my porcelain cast iron grate off my Weber gas grill and put it in the kettle when I want to cook on cast iron.

Good review Tom. I have seen these advertised, and am always looking for something new to bring into the BBQ Shop. I know these are alternatives to "Whole Grate" replacement, but still may offer utility to someone who either travels and uses different grills or has a grill type that simply doesn't offer a cast iron replacement. You got me thinking...

Back