MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
64Driver
Full Fledged Farker

Default My Shirley Experience

Today I finally got the chance to season my SF cooker. Man, this day couldn't have come fast enough! it was tough to have it sit in the garage for days without using it (busy schedule after picking it up). Anyway, what a difference than my rusty ol Brinkmann Smoke-N-Pit....

First, let me tell you how nice it was to meet Paul, Tyler, and Cody when I went to pick it up. By far some of the most polite, funny, and good hearted people I met it a long time! Paul was a pleasure to deal with when placing my order, he put up with all my changes/additions to it, and returned/responded to emails and phone calls within an hour. He made sure I got exactly what I wanted when the day came for it to be constructed (By Tyler mind you, Paul was of course sitting on his butt making his son do all the work I'm sure ) Just kidding Paul!....maybe....

The smoker pulled like a dream going 75mph all the way from GA to MN, and the only way I knew it was back there was when I looked in the mirror. Paul said she weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 2400 lbs, I would never have guessed that from towing it. The blue (Old Glory Blue) sample I sent Paul for the trailer was matched perfectly, and he was able to incorporate a piece of an Apache that I sent him. She has a 3/8" CC and FB, with a 1/4" cabinet. EVERY weld looks awesome, I can take a pic of any one if someone wishes to see. Ty truly crafted a masterpiece!

I sprayed her down with Pam and fired her up using about 1/2 bag of charcoal and some splits of oak. She came up to ~300* in about 50 min. Now I am new to a RF cooker, this was my first time using one by myself, so it took a while to get her dialed in to have even temps. I finally got the bottom grate within 3* of the firebox side vs the left side. The top rack was about 20* hotter than the bottom rack, but within 10* of the right and left side. Not sure if this is how they run, or if it was just the way I had her angled. Either way, I love it! She held those temps even for about 40 min, where I would throw another split on. I was so used to checking on my ol Brinkmann every 15 min to maintain temps, this one always read the same number! Such a difference. Plus, I was able to warm splits in the warming cabinet, which they lit within seconds of tossing them on the fire...not used to that either!

Overall, I couldn't be more happy with my experience with Shirley Fabrication. For the quality and size of a cooker I got, coupled with how much it cost, it was such a deal. I realize I am biased, but I would recommend one of these to anyone.

I was hoping to cook something today, but all I had was 4 hours, and I wanted to give her a good seasoning. Plus I needed to mess around and see what temp she likes to run at, any hot/cold spots, etc. Hopefully I can cook next weekend, I'll be traveling this week and won't have time to...boo...Here are some pics for now.

Edit: Since I don't know how to put text between the pics, I'll just describe them. The one with the stacks shows the pitch-change link from an Apache tail rotor that was cut in half to make the stack exhaust handles. The pic with the digital thermo was me comparing the bottom left with it at 241, and the bottom right reads 238* (hard to see though, I didn't have any more slack in the wire). Then there is the pic with myself and the future owner of the cooker, Ava. The others are just randos of it.

Thanks for looking and Happy Easter!!!

-Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0774.jpg (69.1 KB, 662 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0778.jpg (69.7 KB, 660 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0777.jpg (48.7 KB, 660 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0771.jpg (47.9 KB, 661 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0753.jpg (67.8 KB, 663 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0756.jpg (49.1 KB, 663 views)
64Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Just beautiful!! The addition of the Apache piece sends it over the top. Congratulations on your new smoker!
Paul and Tyler out did themselves again.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
64Driver
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks! Yeah that piece was all bent up, and just sitting in a box. Figured it would make for great personalization of the cooker.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #4
grill 'em all
Full Fledged Farker

Great looking unit you have there!! Love the custom touches that were added,the blue trailer is awesome! Now ya gotta get to cooking on it..

With a cooker as sexy as that you'll be able to make Prince forget he's vegan!!(horrible MN. joke,sorry)

Welcome to the SF family!
grill 'em all is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
landarc

Wow, another nice cooker, looks like it'll do the job

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
awscwi
Full Fledged Farker

Welcome to the Shirley family, nice colors on the trailer!! Cook on...

Old 04-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
Toeter
Knows what a fatty is.

Awesome!
Toeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #8
Jason TQ

Love that blue color. Looks awesome!

Old 04-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #9
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

What a Great Rig! Congratulations!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #10
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Mark it was a pleasure to meet you and your Dad... Yall are very humble people.... I hope it is ok to mention this... Mark is a apache pilot, his dad flew huey's in vietnam and I think his brother is a marine.... We from the depths of our hearts appreciate all Yall do and have done... God bless America..... And folks like Ya'll.... Again thx brother

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2014, 07:24 PM   #11
64Driver
Full Fledged Farker

My pleasure, Paul! Thanks!!!!

Old 04-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #12
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

this is just super

thanks to the both of you!!!

Awesome people all around!!!
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #13
tsimm15
is one Smokin' Farker

Smoker looks awesome. Congrats!
tsimm15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2014, 07:44 PM   #14
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

Beautiful just beautiful!
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8[/URL]
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #15
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Your daughter is beautiful That is a really nice pit you can get some cheap oven thermometers from the hardware It makes it easy to check the differant Temps in the cooking chamber Good idea to warm up the wood- helps with the blue smoke Looking forward to seeing my pron
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote