Remote Meat Thermometer anybody?

BABYGOTBUTT

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking to get a remote meat thermometer. Anyone have any luck with one in particular. Most reviews I read are hit or miss. I am looking for one that I can put in my room and monitor during the night as I'm waiting for a particular temperture on a meat. Thanks for any help!

Most everybody on this forum will point you in the direction of the Maverick ET-732. I have one and love it. I dont have to constantly check on the smoker with the receiver right by me, that leaves me free to do things around the house.

IGrill if you have a smart phone or tablet. A couple guys at the office have them and they like them. Otherwise, maverick. I'm getting the iGrill.

Do what you want, I guess they can be useful, but I have ruined far more food with them then without them and will not trust them anymore. I have had the very best and they all have failed me more often then not for one reason or another.

Suggest you get a timer and set it for say, half hour intervals and go check the cooker each time, or every hour, whatever you are comfortable with. This will make you know your cooker better to the point you will not even need the timer unless you get easily distracted, not to mention saving a ton of money and frustration when they fail. That is my advice its free so take it for what its worth. Spend your money on something like a thermapen and a good analog gauge.
Dave

I have a Maverick ET-732, it works well.
The 3' pit probe that came with it broke after about 10 cooks, and I was careful with it. It ruined one cook on me.

When I don't need to measure the meat temperature, I've gone back to using an analog pit thermometer.
When I do use the meat thermometer, I double check the readings with an old school, Taylor, analog meat thermometer.

I'm with "Mo-Dave" on this. A wireless thermometer can be great, but you have to double check the readings.

Bob

one more vote for the maverick.....just take care of the probes

I have never used a maverick although it is on my wish list. I have a weber remote meat thermometer and have never had any problems with it.

Maverick 732 all the way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

^ +1 ......

The Maverick is your best bet, ... short of getting a Stoker or a Guru with WiFi..

I get the 9.00 special at Academy Sports Made By Accurite Been using them for years 2 sec response and dead on.

I recently bought the Maverick ET-732 and it works very well for me so far. I also have one of the cheap Walmart $16 remote thermometers that seems to work pretty well also. I haven't had any problems with it, but it's a single probe unit.

On another site I visit, the Thermoworks 8060 is highly thought of for its ruggedness and reliability. It is not a remote unit, but another member suggested placing it next to a baby monitor to allow it to be heard in a remote area. The type K thermocouple probes used by this model are not indestructable, but are used in industrial environments and hold up much better than the RTD probes that come on the Mav.

Only Proble the 8060 the disply doesnt work good in cold weather slows down and stops working then i had to have it replaced. But the range for the Maverick ET-732 works with np down to -10 at least and keeps me from running out to my keg when its that cold when the guru is running .

I get the 9.00 special at Academy Sports Made By Accurite Been using them for years 2 sec response and dead on.

Good tip but he's asking for a remote thermometer. My how things have changed. Not long ago the NuTemp 701 was the gold standard here. That's what I use with 3 probes. But I did buy an ET-732 so so how it is. Most folks here did not like the range of the older one (the 73).

^ +1 ......

The Maverick is your best bet, ... short of getting a Stoker or a Guru with WiFi..

I have a BBQ Guru WiFi and so far it's the cats meow! It's built very well and the probes are really heavy duty stainless steel, I just wish they had installed a larger pincher for the pit probe to hold on to the rack better as I ordered it for my Competitor but O well, it works!

I have a Maverick ET-732, it works well.
The 3' pit probe that came with it broke after about 10 cooks, and I was careful with it. It ruined one cook on me.

When I don't need to measure the meat temperature, I've gone back to using an analog pit thermometer.
When I do use the meat thermometer, I double check the readings with an old school, Taylor, analog meat thermometer.

I'm with "Mo-Dave" on this. A wireless thermometer can be great, but you have to double check the readings.

Bob

My Boss Lady is getting me a 732 for Christmas. I'm curious as to why the probes broke.

Back