MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #11341
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasmadj View Post
Hello SmokinJohn.

Thanks for the very quick response!

I will find and read N8Man's post about lighting.

The next time I light it, I am going to target higher temps - maybe up to 300 deg to bake off any final undesireables.

Do you think that my temp control struggles were because I was trying to stabilize at 200? Do you think most UDSs stabilize better at 225 or higher?

How tightly are others able to control the temps? How often do you usually have to tweak the valve during a cook?
I think they were caused by not enough charcoal to start and then playing with too many switches at one time.

The old adage here is that is is better to catch the temps on the way up than to force them down.

UDS are an interesting thing. My "Bat UDS" will cook at any temp you want, if I have no wind and little humidity. It goes as low as 200 and as high as 400 (from leaving the lid open too long on a foil job).

This last weekend, (100 degrees with humidity) it wouldn't settle in until it hit 275, which means I was cooking in the low end of the "Hot and Fast" range. Ordinarily, it will hold at 225-245, and will do so for over 12 hours.

I have yet to have to fiddle with the valves, unless I have wind.

This lets me do an overnight cook while I sleep.

Each cook will teach you more about your UDS.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #11342
boaz65
On the road to being a farker

Default Weber lid for UDS question

I've been reading that the 22.5 in weber grill cover fits a 55 gal drum perfectly for a UDS. I had been looking for a while to score a 22.5 lid and actually scored an entire 22.5 silver touch weber grill (2 yr old) + accessories for $40 from my local craigslist. The lid doesn't fit my UDS!!! My drum is/was a 55 gal. food grade barrel. Do you guys modify your weber lids to make them fit? Any suggestions?
Thanks!!!

Old 09-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #11343
RT
Full Fledged Farker

boaz65, Not all of the drums are the same size, I used an angle grinder to grind the lip on the drum until the lid fit. It took some time but I have a good fit now.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #11344
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaz65 View Post
I've been reading that the 22.5 in weber grill cover fits a 55 gal drum perfectly for a UDS. I had been looking for a while to score a 22.5 lid and actually scored an entire 22.5 silver touch weber grill (2 yr old) + accessories for $40 from my local craigslist. The lid doesn't fit my UDS!!! My drum is/was a 55 gal. food grade barrel. Do you guys modify your weber lids to make them fit? Any suggestions?
Thanks!!!
You can bend the rim of the drum in, or pull the lip of the lid out....either way, go slow. I recommend working the drum, in case you need the lid to put back on the OTS.

Very few drums accept the OTS/OTG lid unmodified. I was lucky enough to buy one from a guy who tested it.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #11345
FiremanVinny
On the road to being a farker

I bent the lid out, placed it on the drum and tapped it back it in. Works for me with no leaks.
FiremanVinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #11346
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Default Question re: lids and their "fit"

Ok, first post- be gentle with me. I have been from one end of this thread to the other and I have a question. There seems to be a general consensus that it's hard to have too much exhaust using 8 holes or standard 2" bungs. But you have folk hammering, adjusting, clamping and using oven proof gasket to seal the lid.

I made my drum(s) both with flat lids- one fits so tightly I have to use a chunk of 2x4 to loosen it- does not show any smoke from around the edges. The other has wispies of smoke from the edges but is really easy to take on and off. They both seem to cook equally well- and I don't have issues holding temps.

Am I missing something about the need /benefit of having a super well fitting lid?

thanks all.
Nuco59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #11347
Cue-Ball
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
Ok, first post- be gentle with me. I have been from one end of this thread to the other and I have a question. There seems to be a general consensus that it's hard to have too much exhaust using 8 holes or standard 2" bungs. But you have folk hammering, adjusting, clamping and using oven proof gasket to seal the lid.

I made my drum(s) both with flat lids- one fits so tightly I have to use a chunk of 2x4 to loosen it- does not show any smoke from around the edges. The other has wispies of smoke from the edges but is really easy to take on and off. They both seem to cook equally well- and I don't have issues holding temps.

Am I missing something about the need /benefit of having a super well fitting lid?

thanks all.
I've thought the same thing. Unless your temp is hard to control, who cares if it doesn't fit *just* right.
Cue-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #11348
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Every drum is going to have its own characteristics when it comes to cooking, holding temp, etc.

I prefer to seal my drums as tightly as possible and eliminate the " air leak" variable in case I do have problems with holding temp, high temps, etc.

It's so much easier to add air then to eliminate or chase air leaks IMO.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #11349
Gethenet
Found some matches.

Default Heavy or standard?

I found a local company that sells reconditioned drums, they have " heavy "steel and thin ( regular).....I'm thinking the heavy the steel, the better it will hold heat?
Gethenet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #11350
cjs27410
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Today's mods

Because of all the rain I added a patio umbrella to my drum. 1" conduit hangers fit the pole perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (33.5 KB, 605 views)
cjs27410 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #11351
cjs27410
Knows what a fatty is.

I cut a slit in the side, with a dremel, for my probe wires. Screen spline slit open to cover the sharp edges. 1/4" wide
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (32.0 KB, 638 views)
cjs27410 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #11352
RT
Full Fledged Farker

I like both of your mods cjs27410.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #11353
Exocet
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
Each cook will teach you more about your UDS.
That's definitely the truth. I'm 2 cooks in and each was very different. First cook, it wanted to run 275-300 deg. Had a 6 lb Boston Butt and enough charcoal for 8-9 hours. Second cook was more like 225-250 deg. Second cook had two racks of meat (ribs) and a smaller charcoal load since I was only planning to cook for 6 hours. First cook was a windier.

I've also found that cooking in direct sunlight adds about 10 deg versus cooking in the shade with the same settings.

I suspect my lid is a bit leaky. I can have my air intake completely closed off, and it'll still hold 225-250 deg quite well.

So, I'm still pretty early into the learning curve.
Exocet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #11354
Toadly_Smoked
Got Wood.

Doing some homework to build the "Ultimate UDS". This is what I am thinking now, what do you "UDS Masters" think.

Starting with a 55 gal drum and do the normal, burn, wire wheel and paint.

Now instead of using bolts to support the rack, use 4 Ubolts. Then make a second rack with legs that will sit into the Ubolts.

Anythoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barrel rack.jpg (7.2 KB, 586 views)
Toadly_Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #11355
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadly_Smoked View Post
Doing some homework to build the "Ultimate UDS". This is what I am thinking now, what do you "UDS Masters" think.

Starting with a 55 gal drum and do the normal, burn, wire wheel and paint.

Now instead of using bolts to support the rack, use 4 Ubolts. Then make a second rack with legs that will sit into the Ubolts.

Anythoughts?
Believe it or not, it is easier to level your cooking rack with 3 bolts instead of 4. I used 3 U bolts.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker