MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
1964coupe
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Lexington, KY Area : Where can I get wood?

Haha, I know it sounds bad, but I thought I'de get a few more lookers this way. I'd like to get some Cherry, Apple, or maybe some Hickory. Anyone in the area able to point me in the right direction?
1964coupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

I would ask at the farmers market,produce markets or fruit stands. They should be able to point you to some orchards that need trimming.
Lots of beautiful country/farms out that away.
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Smokin Patriots
Full Fledged Farker

Im about 60 min north of you. How much are you looking for?

Old 04-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
1964coupe
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Patriots View Post
Im about 60 min north of you. How much are you looking for?
A pickup load would do me for sure. Ideally some hickory and either apple or cherry.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't remember the name of it, or if it's still there, but there used to be a tree service that sold firewood on Todd's Road. I bought several loads of hickory from them. They separate the hickory from the rest, but would let you kind of pick through what you wanted if you were buying a pickup load. That was maybe ten years ago, so like I said, not sure if they're still there. I know they built that area up...

Old 04-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
1964coupe
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeisgood View Post
I don't remember the name of it, or if it's still there, but there used to be a tree service that sold firewood on Todd's Road. I bought several loads of hickory from them. They separate the hickory from the rest, but would let you kind of pick through what you wanted if you were buying a pickup load. That was maybe ten years ago, so like I said, not sure if they're still there. I know they built that area up...
I'll look em' up and give it a try. I just scored half a pickup of Hickory off off Craigslist that should be delivered on Friday!

Old 04-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Check Boyd's Orchard outside of Versailles. I got a load of Apple there last year.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
Eric1977
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Lots of good info here!! When talking to the local orchards... be sure you are talking to someone who can tell you the correct answer. That may sound odd of me to say, but some of them employ so many people that not all of them know if they even sell or give away such things. Make sense? This time of year should be a good time to hit the orchards up.

What I have done, is look to craigs list. Yes that can be a gamble as far as getting what you pay for, how it is seasoned, etc.... But I have found several on there that specifically state oak, hickory & cherry. The last guy I got a hold of brought me all oak and cherry, sure there are a few other logs thrown in by mistake. But I can see why they did judging by the outside appearance.

Hope this helps, and if you find some good sources post them up here and share the wealth!!
Eric1977 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
1964coupe
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1977 View Post
Lots of good info here!! When talking to the local orchards... be sure you are talking to someone who can tell you the correct answer. That may sound odd of me to say, but some of them employ so many people that not all of them know if they even sell or give away such things. Make sense? This time of year should be a good time to hit the orchards up.

What I have done, is look to craigs list. Yes that can be a gamble as far as getting what you pay for, how it is seasoned, etc.... But I have found several on there that specifically state oak, hickory & cherry. The last guy I got a hold of brought me all oak and cherry, sure there are a few other logs thrown in by mistake. But I can see why they did judging by the outside appearance.

Hope this helps, and if you find some good sources post them up here and share the wealth!!
This is an older guy out of sadieville that says he can get all the hickory you want. Hes supplies several BBQ restaraunts around Scott/Fayette counties. VERY reasonable prices. He's delivering half a truck load to me for $50 on friday. He said it's $50 a truck load if you pick it up.

502-857-9809

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
Eric1977
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks a bunch!!!! Can never have too many leads! Any idea if hickory is all he has or can get? I can ask him, but didn't know if you had asked also.
Eric1977 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
1964coupe
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1977 View Post
Thanks a bunch!!!! Can never have too many leads! Any idea if hickory is all he has or can get? I can ask him, but didn't know if you had asked also.
I asked about cherry and apple and he says he rarely gets them. He said he comes across black cherry every once in a while, but hickory is what's in abundance. I didn't ask about anything else. From the sound of things, he's been supplying a couple guys in the area for years and they probably get the first call when he hits apple or cherry.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
Smokin Patriots
Full Fledged Farker

Are you still looking? If so, pm me and I will get you the info.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #13
1964coupe
Knows what a fatty is.

Pm sent!