Just for fun contest question.

B

BrooklynQ

If you were cooking at a one day contest, unsanctioned and just for fun, what categories would be your absolute must have?

Be creative and it might just happen.

To the Moderators - I didn't put this in competition because I want to hear from all levels of cooks. Please don't move it. Thanks.

From the porkloin thread, porkloin tube steak.

Take a #4 shrimp (big farker, 4 per pound)

butterfly

stuff with crab meat in the butterfly

lay a chicken breast in the crack

wrap in bacon and prosciutto (sp)

GRILL do not smoke

Blues hog to taste

I like the Pork Loin idea but what I'd really like to see is during the open portion of sanctioned some way to have all the competitors judge the food so we can taste the food from other competitors. I think that would be fun and entice us to kick it up a notch.

Your just looking for catagories? How much time will you have to cook? Ribs are quick and easy. A fatty contest would be cool!. Sausages. Pick a wierd ingredient (like left handed chicken wings, or catfish)and do an "iron chef" type cook off.

One day contest. Gates open 7:00am and 1st judging is at 1:00pm. Then 1:45, 2:30 and 3:15. Dessert at 4:00. Awards at 5:00.

Four categories max. Plus Dessert. So 5 total.

Making this up as I go along. Looking for ideas for an idea that's being kicked around.

BrooklynQ said:
One day contest. Gates open 7:00am and 1st judging is at 1:00pm. Then 1:45, 2:30 and 3:15. Dessert at 4:00. Awards at 5:00.

Four categories max. Plus Dessert. So 5 total.

Making this up as I go along. Looking for ideas for an idea that's being kicked around.

Sounds like fun. No ribs, brisket or pulled pork.

I vote for a stuffed pork loin and a whole chicken.

Wings Hooters!

Probably wings Hooters!

Maybe more wings Hooters!

Last edited by a moderator:
willkat98 said:
Take a #4 shrimp (big farker, 4 per pound)

butterfly

stuff with crab meat in the butterfly

lay a chicken breast in the crack

wrap in bacon and prosciutto (sp)

GRILL do not smoke

Blues hog to taste

For chrissakes, Bill! It's 11pm and you're making me hungry, ya farker! Thanks for that!:roll:

Seafood
Soup
Sandwich
Exotic Meat

Dessert

Sorry BQ, I first read as "one dish" for fun, not what categories.

Ronelle is looking to do a one day event next month at a local Bowl O Rama which is just ribs and chicken.

7:30am start, 2pm judging (I think)

One old one new!
Brisket and Exotic Meat (which would include seafood) To make this competitive and fun I would work on the judging rules a bit (not sure how I would state them but make it so you must have a well rounded entry taste texture color and presentation (not just lettuce and parsley) plated? need more details before I could expound.

I would say...

pork loin
seafood
chicken
steak

I would also put some tight rules in place around the dessert category, like; made on site, cooked with wood/charcoal, etc.

CharlieBeasley said:
One old one new!
Brisket and Exotic Meat (which would include seafood) To make this competitive and fun I would work on the judging rules a bit (not sure how I would state them but make it so you must have a well rounded entry taste texture color and presentation (not just lettuce and parsley) plated? need more details before I could expound.

CB, I think brisket might be a stretch on a 1 day event.

I suspect BQ is up to something and is planning something, he's just asking for our help in trying to figure out what is both feasible time wise, and fun!

(I think)

So I'm thinking butts and brisket, etc are out.

But frying sure isn't. BQ, how about wings/shrimp as a category?

Frog. I wanna smoke dem little, itty bitty frogs!!!!!
Ed

Steak. Probably need to specify what cut so someone couldn't "buy" the category with a more expensive cut.

Hamburger. This is a popular backyard cookoff category.

Pork Chop.

Back