MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:54 AM   #16
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Please do share the recipe
This is really pretty easy. They got brined for a day in 1 cup Sal Marina Natural + 1/2 cup brown sugar + 2 tbs black peppercorns + a good squeeze of honey.

Then instead of simply applying a rub, I prepare that spiced butter as follows:
  • 1 cup butter (melted)
  • 1 tbs brown sugar
  • 2 tsp fine grained sea salt
  • 2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion granulate
That mixture is then being rubbed all over and under the skin (I use gloves and a tablespoon).

There is nothing more to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
I think you've graduated to the point where you don't need to number your Q's anymore. How do you manage to keep track anyway, I'd have miscounted at least 25 Q's ago.
I think I'll just keep counting, it's a good way to keep track of things, which is easy, because I post each and every cook here, so I just need to look at the number of my previous cook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy j View Post
I'm wondering if he meant 12/31st. And, What temp?
That was the first cook of the new year, performed on 1st January. I didn't keep track of the grate temp, I just let my WSM give all it can do with a full charcoal ring and a full chimney of lit lemon lump dumped on top. I took those legs to IT 185°F, probed them all with my Thermapen, then they went into the oven at max. grill for crisping the skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
Your weather looks cold.
It just is a nasty time of the year around here, mostly foggy, rainy or snowy with temps sticking around the freezing point. It was the best decision to move Smokey beneath the carport, an idea which wouldn't even have crossed my mind if my pavilion hadn't been damaged by heavy snowfall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsfan View Post
Out of mesquite yet?
Still some left, I use your precious wood *very* sparingly, only for beef and only one piece each cook. It will be a sad day once it's gone.

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-09-2013, 04:40 AM   #17
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Nicely done! The chicken looks fantastic!

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #18
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Those look great, I'll have to try the butter treatment! And your weather looks about like here in the Southern Appalachians this time of year.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #19
Clayfish
Full Fledged Farker

Great looking chicken and you must be happier smoking in the carport over winter.
22" WSM, 22" OTG, [COLOR=navy][B]Jumbo Joe[/B][/COLOR], WSJ, Mini WSM, WGA, Maverick ET-732, [COLOR=red][B]Red [/B][/COLOR]Thermapen and a twelve year old gasser which hasn't come out of the shed since I got a taste of charcoal!
Clayfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #20
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

OK now I want chicken for breakfast and I love that back porch!

Old 01-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #21
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
your weather looks about like here in the Southern Appalachians this time of year
Then I don't envy you at all. It was heavily raining since the beginning of the new year with temp just above freezing point, even walking the dog was torture, and I somehow missed a cooking opportunity last weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayfish View Post
you must be happier smoking in the carport over winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDGeek View Post
I love that back porch!
It's not *in* the carport or a back porch, but in an open room below the carport used for storage. This is the basement level of our hillside estate, and that hill is pretty steep. The view out that room on the backside reveals the gardens going down three decks, with the pool and my now kaput smoking pavilion located at the lowest deck. It's a great advantage smoking at that location now, because it's really weatherproof and so much closer to the kitchen.

BTW Right now I am planing my next 'Q'ing event, and I may need your help deciding on new pork rubs, please have a look here.