Roll Call. Inside 30 days. January 9-10, 2009 Central Florida BBQ Festival Sebring, FL (FBA)

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Week and a half to go and I am getting antsy.

Who all is in?

Hope it cools off a little by then. :icon_cool:icon_cool

I'll be there or would it be here since I live in Sebring.If anyone needs something while in town call me at 863-414-1138

Hey Joe!!,
I sent in my app, but no confirmation yet. I'm cooking as Tiger Creek now. It'll be good to see you again. Maybe I can get some pork tips!! .......stan

How far is Sarasota from there? I'll be there from Jan. 1st till the 12th. Are you guys selling food or is it just strictly competition?

How far is Sarasota from there? I'll be there from Jan. 1st till the 12th. Are you guys selling food or is it just strictly competition?

Sarasota to Sebring... Depending on where in Sarasota you are. 90 miles, about 2 hours...

Ray

Unless the slow economy has really killed things, there should be plenty of teams vending.

Hey Joe!!,
I sent in my app, but no confirmation yet. I'm cooking as Tiger Creek now. It'll be good to see you again. Maybe I can get some pork tips!! .......stan

Yeah, I saw you had changed your team name. It'll be good to see you. Need any charcoal from the oriental place? I should have room for some.

Thanks for the offer to take a lump order Joe, but I'm good for now. Looks like it's going to be a small contest? ..stan

I think I will be able to come for one of the days which day would be better. Can't wait to eat some good Florida BBQ.

I think I will be able to come for one of the days which day would be better. Can't wait to eat some good Florida BBQ.

Fridays are usually better for BSing and Saturdays better for eating IMO. Just remember that most teams aren't going to be doing much talking around turn in times when everyone is busy and the stress is creeping up.

I don't want to get in the way just eat some good BBQ. I haven't had any since New Years Eve! Good Luck!

I will be rolling in on Thursday. See you guys then

Bubba

http://www2.highlandstoday.com/content/2009/jan/09/la-teams-set-up-for-pig-fest/

Teams Set Up For Pig Fest

2166503.jpg
Jasmina Meyer/Highlands Today

Gene Murphy pours olive oil to start a batch of BBQ sauce as the rest of his team, AMVETS Post 21, sets up in preparation for the 2009 Central Florida BBQ Festival at Firemen's Field on Thursday in Sebring.

By JOE SEELIG
Highlands Today
Published: January 9, 2009
SEBRING - Teams with barbecue rigs, big and small, arrived throughout the day Thursday at Firemen's Field in preparation for the 2009 Central Florida BBQ Festival.
The event starts at 11 a.m. today and continues Saturday.
"Most of the teams who are here right now are the locals," said Chris Dunn, event coordinator with the Sebring Firemen on Thursday. "They'll start trickling in today and by tonight we'll have most of them."
"This event takes more manpower than any other event we do," said Jerry Heston, also with the Sebring Firemen.
The firemen, their wives and kids help serve.
Things like keeping up with the trash, supplying ice and selling the Pig Bucks take time and people. A dollar will buy a dollar's worth of Pig Bucks and teams can't sell food unless they take the Pig Bucks.
Food sales are how many teams help pay expenses.
The Firemen get 20 percent and the teams get an 80 percent split at the end of the event. The Sebring Firemen then use those bucks to help fund athletics in Sebring.
For many of the contestants it's as much about friendships as it is about competition.
Each one of these competitions is like old home week, said Dana Hillis, owner of Big Papas Country Kitchen.
This is only Hillis' third year of competition, but he's taken to it like gangbusters.
"It's like a big family reunion every other weekend," he said. "It's one big happy family. My first event here I didn't know anybody
. Jimmy Brod (owner of Smokin' Cracker BBQ and vice president of the Florida BBQ Association) walked up to me, shook my hand said 'You're new.' He told me if you need anything just ask."
Brod proceeded to teach him the basics, he said.
For more than seven years Hillis would come to Sebring from Naples to watch his sons compete in wrestling matches at Sebring High School. And each of those years the matches would take place at the same time as the Pig Fest.
"Every year we'd stand outside the school and smell the smells, the smoke, and I said God, I've got to do that," said Hillis.
He said he loved to barbecue but had never competed.
Hillis is a general contractor, but times have been slow and his mobile kitchen has become the family's life preserver.
"This was my office trailer I'd bring on my job sites, but since construction slowed down, it's become my mobile kitchen," he said.
He and his wife, Janet, attend competitions together and make a living catering.
"We're not getting rich off of it, but it's paying the bills," he said.
They won the grand championship at the 2008 FBA Fun Cook in Lake Wales. And two weeks later took "Reserve Grand" in Fort Myers, he said. A month later they won the Grand Champion Overall award in Douglas, Ga.
They won two $650 prizes for third-place wins in chicken and pork butt and a $400 award for their sixth-place brisket. But that gave them overall enough points to win the $5,000 grand prize check and a genuine one-ounce gold medal.
"It was a shock," said Hillis. "My wife's legs were shaking. They had to help her out of the chair. The best part about it is if there were 92 teams, 91 got in line to shake my hand."
Bo Taylor said he was there helping out the AMVETS Post 21 and the McGruff's Bar and Grill team.
"This is our second year at the Central Florida BBQ Festival," Taylor said of the AMVETS team. The team has a great Southern Pride cooker that holds 135 racks of ribs or 40 Boston butts at once.
"McGruff's, they've been here since year one," said Taylor. "There is no bar and grill, that's a figment of people's imagination."
The McGruff's organization does a lot of charity cooking, he said. You may recognize them by spotting their stuffed toy dog. They take him everywhere.
Martin Mackay, with McGruff's, said they do dinners for cancer research and attend the Relay for Life.
"Our theme is 'Cookin' for life,'" he said. "We're just a bunch of friends, many born and raised here, who try to give back to the community.
"We cooked at the first (Pig Fest); we've won a few trophies, but we do real well in the people's choice."
Win or not, It's all good, added Mackay.
"Just because you placed last doesn't mean anything was bad," he said. "Some of these guys compete 30 times a year."
Commercial sauces are allowed. Some teams are sponsored by barbecue sauce companies and others make their own.
Gene Murphy was busy Thursday afternoon making his own sauce with the help of Jim Boney, who stirred, using fresh cut onion, oil, sea salt and pepper. But Murphy wouldn't give away his secret recipe or even its secret ingredient. He uses hickory wood and charcoal, is all he would fess up to.
Gas is not allowed except to make or heat up the sauces and side dishes.
Murphy does all the cooking served to the people at the AMVETS tent and another cook works the competition.

way to go BUBBA!!! You da man

What an awesome contest to kick off the “Triple Crown”
Congrats to everyone

1 Bub-Ba-Q
2 Mount Dora Bar-B-Que Company
3 GB's BBQ
4 Swamp Boys
5 Smokin' Cracker BBQ Team
6 Florida Skin-n-Bones
7 Jacks Old South
8 Uncle Kenny's Butts For You
9 Bubba Chuck
10 The Woodhouse Grill
11 Team W.T.F.
12 Wolfe Brothers BBQ
13 Kick the Tire, Light the Fire
14 EB'S PIT STOP BBQ
15 HomeBBQ.com
16 Rescue Smokers
17 Big Papa's Country Kitchen
18 Florida Boys
19 Fatback Joe's BBQ
20 BIG J'S BBQ
21 COLLISION COURSE BBQ
22 Stump's Smokers
23 Forrest's Fine Foods
24 Naked Bones
25 Barbeque Crew
26 Squeals on Wheels
27 Tiger Creek BBQ
28 FLORIDA CRACKER BBQ
29 PIRATES BBQ
30 TWO CRACKERS COOKING
31 CMT BBQ
32 McGruff
33 ROCK N ROLL BBQ
34 FIDDLER'S SMOKE
35 Scruffs
36 PIG IN PIG OUT
37 FL BACKWOODS BBQ
38 AM VETS POST 21

By Marc Valero | Highlands Today
Published: January 11, 2009
Updated: 10:32 am
SEBRING - The winners of the 2009 Central Florida BBQ were announced Saturday evening before an enthusiastic crowd at Firemen's Field with

Bubba Latimer of Bub-Ba-Q accepting the Grand Champion trophy.
Other winners were the following:
Reserve Grand Champion – Mount Dora Bar-B-Que
Brisket First Place – GB's BBQ
Pork First Place – Uncle Kenny's Breast and Butts for You
Ribs First Place – Swamp Boys
Chicken First Place – Mount Dora Bar-B-Que
Auxiliary contest first place winners:
Highlands County Home Boy – Smokin' Cracker BBQ
Highlands County Rib Champion – The Woodhouse Grill
Beer Can Chicken – Smokin' Cracker
Anything But – Smokin' Cracker
People's Choice – Bubba Chuck's