KCBS Judging

kcpellethead said:
Skip,

Could that "bad apple juice" taste have been bourbon mixed with apple juice? In my opinion, that's one of the mistakes the "once a year" cooks make. They think that spraying liquor on the entry makes it taste good. Save the whiskey for drinking . . .

Rod, I am not 100% sure?. It tasted like old spoiled apple juice! What is the life of apple juice after it has been opened?. I am sure outside temps make a difference also. I bet the next time I compete I will check my apple juice before and during use.

i cant believe someon would use OLD applejuice at a comp. I am sure any competitor worth his smoke would open a fresh bottle, and even if its been sitting out all day, its not going to spoil.

I think Rod hit it on the head. I use to use a mixture of apple juice and cheap bourbon in my sprays. sometimes even a touch of pickle juice in the bottle. did it this way for years, and eventually realized that on those days where i didnt use the bourbon, i was missing that bitter/tangy flavor. stopped using bourbon and never looked back. Now its combination of fruit juices. Apple and cherry mostly, but have used peach, pear, pineapple, etc...

keep the whiskey to marinade the chef.

one hint, dont put pineapple juice with pulp in your sprayer. :shock: :-? Especially at 11:30 am, about when your going to start spraying chicken for glazing. Gives your sprayer a case of the dry squirts.

kcpellethead said:
Skip,

Could that "bad apple juice" taste have been bourbon mixed with apple juice? In my opinion, that's one of the mistakes the "once a year" cooks make. They think that spraying liquor on the entry makes it taste good. Save the whiskey for drinking . . .

I'm not Skip, but I'll answer........

I never gave it a thought that it could have had bourbon mixed in it.....but it did have that fermented "Wang" after taste......I'm bettin' you just hit the nail on the head.......

BBQchef33 said:
. I use to use a mixture of apple juice and cheap bourbon in my sprays. sometimes even a touch of pickle juice in the bottle. did it this way for years, and eventually realized that on those days where i didnt use the bourbon, i was missing that bitter/tangy flavor. stopped using bourbon and never looked back. Now its combination of fruit juices. Apple and cherry mostly, but have used peach, pear, pineapple, etc...

Thanks I keep wondering why my cooks had gotten so much better. I was missing the booze in the spray. Now I use a apple juice and the wife likes my cooks. My son says the meat is not spicy enough for him, but he will say anything to be negative to my cooks, but never leaves meat on his plate.

Back