Hi, I new here am, I have a smoking problem

jeepneeded

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi, I am new here , I have a smoking problem.
Seems I need to be in a 12 step program.

I have used the info I found on here to build a uds. Thanks guys.

A brisket and 2 Boston butt's later. I still do not know how much charcoal to put in my uds. I can get about a 5 hr burn right around 220 to 250. Then the temps drop fast. The brisket was done in about 4 hrs. the Boston took about 8hrs it was a 6lb. I had to do another chimmy starter full about the 5.5 hr mark. then that lasted me till it was done. ran at 270 after that.

I did find out that lump charcoal will only last to about the 3.5 mark. lump charcoal also seems to run hotter than the comp charcoal.

I did use 1/2 nipples for the drum and a cheap 22 1/2 grill lid from the dollar store. Could I be getting to much air around the lid? it does stick over a bit.

I noticed that some of you were using "X" pounds of charcoal for the starting measurement. Is there a better way then weight?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Welcome!!

Didn't want to leave you hangin there. Its unusual for a thread to go unanswered for very long around here.

The Brethren will walk you through it, or direct you to where the answer is, no doubt. I, however, am not the expert. I do foresee some questions that will help the others help you.

First off, did you use the minion method?
What kind of lump are you using?
How much fuel did you put in in the first place (number of briquettes)?

Also a bunch of pictures of your drum might help too.

If you can control temps, dont worry about the lid. If you cant, then an air leak is the problem and needs to be addressed before you do anything else.
It may take a while to get the feal of how much charcoal to use. Some times a little shake of the drum to stoke the coals helps. Not too much or you'll have ash in your meat.

Thanks for the upgrade Bretheren Phil!

What is the size of your coal basket, diameter and height?

I would just fill up the basket and when you are done cooking shut down the vents to cut off air flow. This will extinguish the charcoal and what ever is left you can use next time you fire it up.

Well I don't have a UDS but I am glad you came to this forum... Welcome! :)

How big of a fire are you starting? I would go with less than 1/2 weber chimney of hot coals. As alluded to earlier, you cannot have too much charcoal, just too much fire.

Cannot say I have ever been to exacting on my charcoal quantities. My basket is about 15x10x6 and I fill it up leaving one corner empty for the hot coals.

BTW, my basket came out of my bandera and it was made by Spicewine about 3.5 years ago and it is solid. Too bad he does not have time to make those anymore.

my basket was made with stuff laying around. I have changed the basket once already. it was a little tall when I put the five or six lit lumps in there it would start the whole basket. I went with a wider design next so I can control the fire a bit better. I do need to get pictures of this thing. Will post up tonight.

I tried the cowboy stuff since it was in the hardware store. I did not like the furniture in the bag. the stuff I have now is nature glo. I think the next one will be with a combo lump and briquet's. maybe the fire will spread slower.

Jeepneeded, I'm no expert but if you have air coming in without control of that air you will have to much heat. I use 10 Original Briquetts to start in the chimney. There is better control if all access holes are as air tight as possible, that means drilled holes should be sealed. It goes against the grain to not look but as little peeking as possible is a good thing. Testing your UDS for the best place to smoke should be looked into. (Are there hot spots in your smoker). Take some time and don't get frustrated. This is good when you know how it works and O So Difficult when you are searching for the right way to make that wonderful Que. Good Luck Mary

I would just fill up the basket and when you are done cooking shut down the vents to cut off air flow. This will extinguish the charcoal and what ever is left you can use next time you fire it up.
Yep, just fill it almost to the top leaving just enough room for 5-10 chunks (I only use lump for all my cookers...).

If you can control temps, dont worry about the lid. If you cant, then an air leak is the problem and needs to be addressed before you do anything else.
It may take a while to get the feal of how much charcoal to use. Some times a little shake of the drum to stoke the coals helps. Not too much or you'll have ash in your meat.
Actually, if you give the drum a quick kick or rock it a bit it should knock off the ash pretty well without getting ash all over the food...

Welcome to our form of group therapy :-D I'm not sure how/if the 12 step program is working. :confused:

pics

The only thing that makes this one different from a lot of others is the size of the nipples in the last photo. ( I know. it sounds strange in my head also) :p
I normally run it with the caps on and the value just about closed to run at 220. With the value open half way and one cap off, it wants to run at 300:doh:

I fill my UDS basket with lump, 16" dia 6" tall, almost full. Light 1/2 chimney starter and spread evenly. I control the temperature by limiting air intake only. After a 10+ hour cook (approximately 225 degrees) I close all intakes and outlets and there is typically at least 1/2-3/4 basket left. For the next cook I top off and repeat. Works for me and a lot less watching and turning and a lot more drinking, very easy.

well I loaded the basket up and cooked for 8 hrs. I had enough left over for a chimney starter full. thanks guys now on to the ribs

Back