UDS Charcoal Basket question

B

BurntOfferings

I am working getting material together for a UDS, Read a lot but am unable to find a post about the exact size of the Charcoal Basket. I want to use a 16" Clay saucer in the bottom to catch the ash, so this is what I came up with.
UDSCharcoalBasket.gif

Will this size be ok, of does it need to deeper?.

how you going to get the saucer out?

Most of the baskets I have seen are round. Many use a charcoal grate from a weber as the bottom. I could only find a 16 x 32 expanded metal so I cut it in half and used the 2 8 X 32 pieces to make my basket. Wrapped the expanded metal around the grate and held all together with bolts.

I just kept it simple. Mine has about 3" clearance between the drum and the basket. It sits about 4" off the bottom and is about 14" tall from the bottom of the basket to the top. Ash just falls to the bottom of the drum.

92a9880a.jpg

Picture043.jpg

Picture051.jpg

Here is what I came up with
uds02.jpg

uds03.jpg

The pan is from a cheapo BBQ, thkind with three tall legs. The grill is from the doner weber that I stole the lid from for my UDS. I used SS thread rod instead of carriage bolts as it worked out to be way cheaper. The metal is the middle section from a cheap smoker I decided to retire now that I have a WSM. It turned out to be a perfect fit for the grill. Dozens of holes later with a unibit and I'm good to go. I still need to post side by side pics of the WSM charcoal ring and mine but you can see the similarity.

Note: The discoloration in the pics is the burnt of paint which I have yet to brush away and dots are rain. I had just finished burning out my UDS and I pulled the ring out from inside just as it started to rain.

Mike

Nice basket, i use the same cheapie charcoal grill as an ash pan. :biggrin:

I'm still looking for a metal milk crate

I think it would be better than my expanded metal basket

Back