MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

Default some times the magic works, and some times it doesn't - problem w/ my sauce (more of a vent post then cry for help)

so i've pretty-much made the same sauce for the last 3-years with very little variation other then a little tweaking here and there. tonight i'm following the recipe and go in for a taste and it's just not right. wife takes a taste and says too tangy, too much lemon juice. only i havn't added any lemon juice yet. same ingredients same prep as every other time. fixed with the addition of some molasses. not my standard sauce, but still pretty good.

i guess the old indian was right *some times the magic doesn't work*

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Tomato base, and too much heat?

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Tomato base, and too much heat?
tomato base (chili sauce and tomato paste) yes, but it never got above the lowest of simmers.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Either too much acid in the tomatoes, or too much heat is my guess. If you controlled the heat then it's too much acid. You can try to counter it with some sugar, or something else that's neutral or dipping some bread in can draw some of that flavor off.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
Desert Dweller
Babbling Farker

Location: Mesa, AZ Not exactly hell, but the zip code is very close...

"Same ingredients"; but was it the same brands of ingredients? I notice a distinct difference between various brands of tomato sauce and ketsups... Same goes for spices, vinegar, onions...
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]LFSA RED Thermapen,[/COLOR] [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]And 1 2010 Victor brand Hot Dog Cart[/FONT]
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dweller View Post
"Same ingredients"; but was it the same brands of ingredients? I notice a distinct difference between various brands of tomato sauce and ketsups... Same goes for spices, vinegar, onions...
yep - other than the onions, everything was exactly the same as 4-weeks ago. go figure. at least there's been a happy ending. my wife a neighbor both really like the new sauce with the added molasses, which has a sweeter flavor profile than my standard sauce. see how it goes w/the rest of the gang, but i may have a winner on my hands