Competition Websites

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
What's the most attractive website you've seen for a BBQ competition?

Links would be helpful.

Thank you!

Eric

This one is pretty functional and intuitive. http://www.smokinonthepecos.us/

I found this one today. It's OK. http://tonganoxiedays.com/bbq-blowout/

Personally, I have not found one that accepts Pay Pal, but I would love that. For some reason I have a very strong aversion to the Post Office nowadays. I don't like going, I don't like writing out an envelope and I don't like paying for a stamp. Online payments would be fantastic.

Visually attractive.

Thanks,

Eric
Bel Air is very pretty

I have to admit though that I don't really care about pretty. It can be black text on a plain white screen as long as I can get the following info without having to search through pages and pages of stuff:

• When is it?
  • Where is it? (A valid street address, not some innocuous location like "city park")
  • How much is it?
  • Link to competitor app (and while we're on this how hard is it to put a fill-able PDF app out there? It is 2013)
  • Amount of the Prize pool
  • On site services included (water; hose or carry. Electric, ice etc)
  • Who to contact if I have questions

Last edited:
Bel Air is very pretty

I have to admit though that I don't really care about pretty. It can be black text on a plain white screen as long as I can get the following info without having to search through pages and pages of stuff:

• When is it?
  • Where is it? (A valid street address, not some innocuous location like "city park")
  • How much is it?
  • Link to competitor app (and while we're on this how hard is it to put a fill-able PDF app out there? It is 2013)
  • Amount of the Prize pool
  • On site services included (water; hose or carry. Electric, ice etc)
  • Who to contact if I have questions

I'm in this boat too. I've seen some pretty ones that weren't easy to navigate.

But I think this week's event in Evans is a good looking site. http://www.banjobque.com/

As I make a living as a Network / Internet Security Engineer I tend to look as sites differently. I don't need and often get annoyed by sites that try to through ever bell and whistle out you. When they do that they open themselves up to clutter and security holes.

Keep it clean, keep it simple, and make it functional.
1. Can I navigate the site easily and find what I am looking for?
2. Are forms and contact information easy to find and use?
3. What methods of payments are allowed? In this day and age I prefer a Credit Card transaction - better insurance/protection. A check in the mail has a lot of information on it that is used for identity theft these days.
4. Is the font clear, clean, and easy to read.
5. Does the site support different web browsers?

That is just some of the things I look at when I look at hosting / dev sites.

If the Cheetah III had a BBQ contest, its website would get my vote for visually attractive....

If the Cheetah III had a BBQ contest, its website would get my vote for visually attractive....

Hance, that brings back memories from 25 years ago. Come to think of it, Cheetah III was a lot like BBQ competitions - spend a ton of money and all you receive in return is frustration. Hmmm....

Back