MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #31
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

While there is some good discussion on the safety of plastic wrap, the OP is wanting to know what brands to try. Let's just get thaty out of the way and then the debate can go on, or I can split into the food safety section. Think I will do that in a few minutes.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2008, 11:21 AM   #32
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I wrap with plastic then foil till I am ready to put in the smoker. If I want to wrap the food wjhil in thew smoker I only use foil. Personally I hate plastic wrap but I still use it
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #33
afreemaniii
Full Fledged Farker

I wrap in plastic and foil overnight after rubbing down a brisket, but will wrap in foil only once the meat is cooking. I use the plastic wrap from Sam's and the wide "commercial" foil from there as well.

Gear:
1-BWS Party
1-22.5" WSM
Guru Pitminder and Stoker system
afreemaniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #34
BarberQue
Full Fledged Farker

I found that wrapping with Reynolds wrap and then alluminum foil keeps the butt from drying out during the cooling process.I have also reheated the next day for a couple of hours in the wrap and then pulled it apart sems to really be a lot moister than not wrapping it at all.
BarberQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #35
Against The Grain
Full Fledged Farker

We only use commerical grade food film.
Rub it wrap it plastic.
Cook it wrap it with plastic and it holds heat and continues to cook.
Let it cool wrap it in plastic and reheat it up to 200 degrees, and it holds jucies.

Member Lighthouse Charity Team
Elks Lodge 126
Against The Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:33 AM   #36
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Jon - I think the key is that you don't want to use a "residential" 'seran', 'glad', etc. wrap. You want to use a foodservice film. One that is rated to the heat level you want. Depending on how much fat you leave on your meat, or sugar is in your rub (and how thick you put it on)... will help drive to what temp you can take your cooker and be successful.

We played with the Sam's Film, and I believe 265 degrees was it's limitation.

CostCo and Sam's both sell a "Foodservice Film", I believe Sam's also sells a "catering film". The Catering Film may be more of a cling wrap for going on steam trays; I have not tried it. I have not used any films in contest cooking, but we have used it before when cooking large quantities.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #37
McClung
is one Smokin' Farker

I wrapped butts for the first time last night. Smoked until they hit 140, plastic wrap then foil and back onto the smoker at 225 until them were 190+. My understanding was that all was good as long as the temps were under 265.

Feedback was that they were super tender and moist. I can get that taking them to 205 and I don't think the time was significantly different. The big advantage I saw was the ability to do different finishes on all of the butts pretty easily.

Would have been nice to have been able to pull them but it was cook, toss in a cooler and deliver wrapped so.....

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]The Good One Model 30/24P
UDS
Smoke and Thistle Competition Barbecue Team
1Lazy1 Brand, A Texas Original
Lifetime member Displaced Texans
[/SIZE]
[I]THE SPICY FAIRY ROCKS![/I]
[/FONT][/B]
McClung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #38
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
You should consider the health risk from chemical leaching
http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...ve-dioxin2.htm

Yes read it and more... This Bullchit about plastic WRAP leaching dioxin into food has got to end.

No one seems to talk about the evidence of aluminum's link to Alzheimers that is more researched and credible.

Plastic wrap being harmful is a huge and stupid urban legend that has little merit.

Plastic wrap is safe... the evidence of aluminum's link to Alzheimers is more researched and credible.

Pay no matter to the fact I use Butcher PAPER to wrap...

There is also evidence of aluminum's link to Alzheimers which is more researched and credible.

All this safety being discussed among a body of cookers that are propagating a huge health risk just from the meat itself is silly as well.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #39
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Quite possibly, smoking with plastic wrap is the dummest idea since using kitty litter in the water pan.
And that my friends is the Strawman Fallacy.

Brilliant. So if the poster said boiling the meat after it has been wrapped in plastic also negates the whole premise that hot meat can be safely wrapped in plastic and rewarmed or cooked in the plastic.

As far as using plastic wrap to cook food... specifically poaching. The french and neo-franco chefs have been poaching cigars of chicken and what not in plastic wrap for more than 30 years so it is an acceptable method of making a Gallentine for most people in the culinary industry.

To review, professional plastic wrap to hold meat, even in a properly maintained pit; Or more exactly a cambro, refrigertator and a properly heated oven or steam oven, are all exceptable means of holding the meat and preserving it as closed to its original state as possible.

Trying to SMOKE a piece of meat (not cooking it to completion as the poster asked about) is in fact silly... but alas, not really the point here.

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 06-23-2009 at 03:37 PM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #40
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

I see this thread was resurrected. I stand by my original statement that:
Quite possibly, smoking with plastic wrap is the dummest idea since using kitty litter in the water pan.

Or I could be full of $hit. Maybe next time I get a packer brisket, I'll just throw it in the smoker heavy duty plastic wrap and all. Whatcha say barbefunkoramaque? Good Idea?

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #41
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I see this thread was resurrected. I stand by my original statement that:

Or I could be full of $hit. Maybe next time I get a packer brisket, I'll just throw it in the smoker heavy duty plastic wrap and all. Whatcha say barbefunkoramaque? Good Idea?
Straw man fallacies seem to be your expertise. In addition to trying to argue a point no one was making, you now are arguing a point based on an entire MATERIAL that no one has suggested using.

The plastic vac wrap is not the same thing as industrial clear film.

So in essence you hold on to your failing argument (I mean that respectfully mods) that Holding, Reheating, or finishing the cook in plastic wrap is the the same as smoking bbq in the smoker with the same wrap. And that Plastic wrap or film is the same as industrial vac wrap.

I will draw a parallel.. I hereby claim you know nothing about BBQ (which I do not believe personally) because I know I can prove you do not speak fluent latin.

Like I said... I use butchers paper.

In addition to the Brisket Packer material argument being unrelated due to its molecular design (they are chemically different) it would fail cogency as part of the BBQ process is to rub with spices and smoke.... to which you could not do without opening the package. Once again... funny, you make a double straw man fallacy by arguing your case with two premises that are not under scrutiny at all.... those premises being the "smoking process" and of course relating one product (which people are debating about) to another, which is pulled out of the blue and unrelated. Like Chicken and Brisket.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #42
Mark

I merely draw a conclusion: Cooking with plastic wrap is dumb. And for a variety of reasons. You are free to disagree. I am free to ignore your taunts.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #43
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Taunts? LOL Then do so. Ya Big Lump.

That was an endearment.

As far as reasons, I think the brethren would like an explanation of why its stupid or dumb. I gave a few reasons why its not, and mind you I don't even use it except in holding times.

If you are going to make a blanket statement like mopping is stupid, or foil is for suckers, hey, say why... then the other guys chime in with why its not and then people make up their minds.

My issue other than the propaganda regarding its safety, was that you cannot forward an argument "that it is dumb to use to smoke BBQ" when the concern was more about its use as a reheating and holding medium (in the smoker or out).

You could forward it by saying it is unhealthy because....... but site some more respectable data besides some "urban legends" site.

It is so sad that Dr. Edward Fujimoto the Manager of the Wellness and Lifestyle Medicine Department at Castle Medical Center in Hawaii has caused such an uproar with so little data to prove it. He mentioned this regarding molded clear plastic food trays and it has morphed into plastic wrap with not one shred of evidence to the contrary from a reputable source since it was uttered on January 23, 2002.

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 06-23-2009 at 03:39 PM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #44
Mark

The urban legend site had some decent links. You didn't reseach them?

Old 06-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #45
Mark

BTW Don: It seems to me you're just as guilty of making ultimatums:

e.g.: "Stop Mopping. Stoppit! Now!"