Abe's 48" insulated cabinet smoker seasoning, first cook and thoughts

Just for the record we now have 4 of these smokers in stock and I am getting quite used to running and cooking on them Lower temps are not a problem using a Guru as long as you start it slow and block off the 2nd inlet. I also made a mod to Kevin's Guru adapter to get a better seal and that is really working great. I have 3 Entertainers and 1 60" in stock. I am stocking mostly with the stainless water pan .... I 'll post some pics soon.

Just for the record we now have 4 of these smokers in stock and I am getting quite used to running and cooking on them Lower temps are not a problem using a Guru as long as you start it slow and block off the 2nd inlet. I also made a mod to Kevin's Guru adapter to get a better seal and that is really working great. I have 3 Entertainers and 1 60" in stock. I am stocking mostly with the stainless water pan .... I 'll post some pics soon.
We are an impatient group. Show us now!:wacko:

I was able to get one packer per rack. The height is a little tight but they do fit. You may have to put the thickest one on the top rack for a little additional clearance.

My unit does not have the probe port but I have found you can run the wires in via the hinge side of the door so they do not get in the way when opening the door.

I was able to get one packer per rack. The height is a little tight but they do fit. You may have to put the thickest one on the top rack for a little additional clearance.
How big were the packers? I bought 8lb and 9lb packers last night. I forgot to test fit them.:doh: I have a small family so anything bigger and I have to cut them down the middle length-wise and smoke them individually.

My unit does not have the probe port but I have found you can run the wires in via the hinge side of the door so they do not get in the way when opening the door.
How many cooks have you done this on? I was wondering if that would eventually damage the cables? I don't have the probe port either. I never had an issue on my offset or vertical with the cables in the doors.

Can you tell us or show us what modifications you did to the GURU adapter to help the seal?

Last edited:
No. But we like to tinker with things. I'm trying a maze today. It's designed to use water but I'm not a big fan of using water. So I want to see how that works.

I was able to get a 8lb & 9.5lb on a rack together. A little tight but they fit. The burn times are really good with a maze. I was able to go 8 hours with 2-3 chimneys of charcoal and 5 or 6 pecan chunks before it dropped below 250. Ran 250-300 the whole time. Ran it with water half way thru the cook. It takes about 15-20 minutes to get to 225. No preheating.

No. But we like to tinker with things. I'm trying a maze today. It's designed to use water but I'm not a big fan of using water. So I want to see how that works.

In addition to moisture, the water is a big heat sink. Replace the water with sand, that should give the heat sink benefit back to you. IT will also cut down the risk of grease fires with dripping fat hitting the hot bare plate of the water pan.

Fred's got lots of great toys in his shop, highly recommend a trip there for anyone in driving distance.

Can't wait till my Abe's 48" get to me looking forward to cooking on my smoker

Back