BBQ Brethren "Caribbean Food" Throwdown! (Entries and Quality *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Seriously, I am not sure if I will have time this week to get one in. I am going to try and squeeze one in. I went from 1 vote in my first TD to 7 in the fusion. Things are looking up but you guys just keep raising the bar higher and higher! Awesome job! :clap2:

Seriously, I am not sure if I will have time this week to get one in. I am going to try and squeeze one in. I went from 1 vote in my first TD to 7 in the fusion. Things are looking up but you guys just keep raising the bar higher and higher! Awesome job! :clap2:
Thank you and I hope you have the time!
Jed

Don't you worry a bit. I'm a TD veteran and these guys scare me too. :thumb:

Please accept this as my first ever entry into a Throwdown.

What we have here is Marinated Jerk Chicken with Cinnamon-Black Pepper Grilled Bananas and Lime-Mango-Habanero Salsa.

picture.php

I liked it. I hope you do too.

David
The Swine Spectator

Sure looks great mate,welcome to the game

What we have here is Marinated Jerk Chicken with Cinnamon-Black Pepper Grilled Bananas and Lime-Mango-Habanero Salsa.

picture.php

David
The Swine Spectator
Great looking dish, authentic and very well executed! Welcome to Kitchen Stadium!
Ala Cuisine!

Thanks for rolling out the welcome mat. If you haven't tried grilled bananas, you're missing out. I cut them in 1/2 lengthwise, brush them with a little melted butter and season lightly with cinnamon and black pepper. I put them face down directly over the coals until it **just** cooks through. Fork it out of it's shell and enjoy!

Thanks for rolling out the welcome mat. If you haven't tried grilled bananas, you're missing out. I cut them in 1/2 lengthwise, brush them with a little melted butter and season lightly with cinnamon and black pepper. I put them face down directly over the coals until it **just** cooks through. Fork it out of it's shell and enjoy!

That sounds tasty... will have to try! Spectacular looking plate.

David
The Swine Spectator

Great looking plate! Never tried grilling bananas that I remember, but I grill ripe plantains sometimes. I'll have to try that!

Mongo's sure fire Official "Caribbean Food" zero entry...

After seeing all the most excellent entries in this TD, I give you my latest bid for yet another zero. Without further ado, I submit for your disapproval "Mongo's Jerk Schwimps with Fruity Caribbean Salsa Quinoa... :mrgreen:

First off, the ingredients for Mongo's jerk seasoning... Sugar, salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, allspice, red pepper flakes and thyme. Not sure if this is Caribbean, Indian, Mexican, Thai or just basic Mongonese dumbarse... :confused:
edit_preview.php

Next up, the schwimps...
edit_preview.php

Add a little jerk seasoning...
edit_preview.php

While the schwimps are absorbing the seasoning, I cut up the components for the "fruity quinoa" salsa. Here we have strawberries, green grapes, fresh pineapple and mandarin orange slices. You may be asking are these really Caribbean fruits, but keep in mind the cook has been shown to be confused with basic geography. :tsk:
edit_preview.php

While the mystery fruit is resting peacefully in the fridge, I throw the jerk seasoned schwimps on the Performer for about four minutes per side indirect over KB, and another minute per side direct for a quick sear. :thumb:
edit_preview.php

When it's all said and done, the schwimps and fruit salsa are plated over quinoa with an orange/lemon juice + EVOO dressing, topped with thinly sliced green onions and chopped spinach (I would have used cilantro but I HATE cilantro :puke:).
edit_preview.php

Please the pic below for the money shot...
edit_preview.php

I must say I was pretty hesitant about making this meal, but both my wife and daughter LOVED it... I do have to admit it was light and refreshing and will definitely make it back in the rotation soon. :mrgreen:

Back