MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:38 AM   #1
LYU370
Babbling Farker

Default Kamado DoJoe

So I ran across this video of a new pizza attachment for the Kamado Joe's. Anyone have one? It looks pretty cool, but I'm just wondering why you'd need a $200+ attachment to make pizza in a kamado cooker. Am I missing something? Maybe I just don't cook enough pizza's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p77u8m7uQ8

FEC100 - Big Joe - Saber 500 Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us and enter to win great prizes! It's a BLAST!
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #2
bschoen
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

He used enough charcoal, a full basket, to cook a couple of briskets. For a pizza?
bschoen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2019, 08:21 AM   #3
Whisky
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschoen View Post
He used enough charcoal, a full basket, to cook a couple of briskets. For a pizza?
Yeah. And he used enough bench flour to make another dough ball. I don't like raw flour on my pizza but apparently he does.

I am all about buying new toys and gadgets but I don't see how this accessory does anything to change the way pizzas cook in kamados as it is now. It just allows you to launch and monitor them without opening the lid. Personally I'd put that 200 towards a dedicated pizza oven.
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2019, 08:41 AM   #4
Nuco59
is Blowin Smoke!

I don't own a Kamado of any type. I guess if I did and made a ton of pizzas, it *might* make sense. $200.00 is still $200.00 though. If it did not make pizza that was heads and shoulders better than without, that puppy would be headed back for a refund.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #5
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

i dont think $200 is crazy I got an uni pro for like $600 last year. Forget technique on how he made pizza was made, the attachment looks pretty slick. I don't own a kamado but if you already do $200 gives you a lot of flexibility.
foam2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
cookingdude555
Full Fledged Farker

This does not solve the major issue of cooking pizza on a kamado, the heat still comes from the bottom. There will be a heat imbalance favoring the bottom of the pizza. I have cooked hundreds of pizzas on my kamados. Many of them have been fantastic. I have played with many tricks to overcome the imbalance such as multiple heat deflectors, high dome cooking, even using a wet towel to cool the charged stone a little. None of them had the same success as just finally getting a dedicated pizza oven.

This might help, but I can’t imagine by very much.

Too many cookers ...
cookingdude555 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #7
SonVolt
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : SonVolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingdude555 View Post
This does not solve the major issue of cooking pizza on a kamado, the heat still comes from the bottom. There will be a heat imbalance favoring the bottom of the pizza. I have cooked hundreds of pizzas on my kamados. Many of them have been fantastic. I have played with many tricks to overcome the imbalance such as multiple heat deflectors, high dome cooking, even using a wet towel to cool the charged stone a little. None of them had the same success as just finally getting a dedicated pizza oven.

This might help, but I can’t imagine by very much.

^^^^ this. I can make a much, much better pizza using my baking steel + broiler inside my home oven than I can on my Egg. Pizza on a Kamado is just... ok. It's just not the best design for that style of cooking. If pizza is your thing get a Roccbox etc.
SonVolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #8
gtsum
is One Chatty Farker

The challenge in any generic cooker (ie not a pizza specific cooker) is to get enough top heat in relation to the bottom heat. If this accessory helps that, it would be well worth it imo. It’s always a challenge in kamados to get enough top heat (at least for cooking neo/ny type pies)

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #9
retfr8flyr
On the road to being a farker

I am a big Kamado Joe fan but I just can't see this, especially at the price.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #10
ChEgrad
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonVolt View Post
I can make a much, much better pizza using my baking steel + broiler inside my home oven than I can on my Egg. Pizza on a Kamado is just... ok. It's just not the best design for that style of cooking. If pizza is your thing get a Roccbox etc.
My pizzas cook in 4-5 minutes in my oven on my steel. They taste great. I'm not tempted to get an attachment or a pizza oven. We can all socialize in the kitchen while I cook and have a great time. Year round.
ChEgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2019, 07:10 PM   #11
Norm
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I don't have a broiler in my oven but outside of my Blackstone it's the best alternative. I've made mine on the egg too, no comparison to the other cookers.

If you want to do NY style pizza a steel in the oven is the best way to go.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2019, 08:25 AM   #12
Hotch
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hotch

So 45 minutes to get it going?
And you are still cooking at the grid level?
Best pies I've done have been cooked up in the dome.
The Adjustable Rig or PSWoo with raised grid from Tom at the Ceramic Grill Store works best for me.

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
Hotch is offline   Reply With Quote