MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #1
Joe Beere
Found some matches.

Default Boston Butt question

I have to have 2 boston butts ready to serve by noon Saturday. I don't want to spend all night Friday night cooking. So, if I cook them Friday to warm up in the oven Saturday, would it be better to leave whole until I warm them up and then pull? Or, should I pull them when they finish in the smoker and warm up already pulled?
How will either opinion above affect the quality?

Thanks,
Joe Beere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #2
mytmouz
is One Chatty Farker

I would leave them whole, if it were me.

Trailer mounted reverse flow stick burner. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #1 Black
Weber Kettle #2 Copper
Weber Kettle #3, Dads old cooker
Brinkman electric
Weber Smokey Joe. Rehomed
Small Sunbeam tailgater. Rehomed
Brinkman vertical smoker. Rehomed
And 2 UDS go to set ups... Rehomed
mytmouz is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
Pig_Farmer
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Carl

Leave em whole and reheat. It will hold the moisture better. If you do end up pulling first, you can add some apple juice to the pan when reheating.

2019 SW Fall Bash Planning
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=274223
Pig_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2018, 10:52 AM   #4
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

I always pull and vacuum seal but you could pull put in a gallon bag and put in fridge then reheat in boiling water. I also mix some of the drippings in the bag with the meat.
24x42 Shirley Fabrication Elevated/Straight back patio model with warmer
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill

Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 11-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #5
ronbrad62
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Ron

I am in the camp to pull, vac seal and reheat. For me, it will be easier to pull fresh cooked pork, and take far less time to reheat, thus preventing more overcooking/drying out. I have seen where some brethren reheat by placing in hot water.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #6
YSR
Knows what a fatty is.

Each year for Christmas I cook 2-3 butts for our employees that work 2 hours away. We typically feed them at lunch and let them have the rest of the day off. Tending butts all night was challenging without "recovery" time for the cook. Reheating seemed to take away from the finished product so two years ago I started the butts in the smoker the night before around 7 pm, let them go until around midnight, then transferred them to the inside oven set to 215 or so (depending on accuracy of the oven). Set meat temp alarm at 190 and go to bed. Not once have they been done in the am and several times I've had to wrap them to be sure they were done in time to go in the cooler for the two hour ride.
It may be that they don't take on quite as much smoke, but it is hard to tell and the employees ask for it each year.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #7
Joe Beere
Found some matches.

Thanks everyone for the advise. I think I will try YSR's option and start on the smoker and transfer to the oven.
Joe Beere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #8
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

That's a good method...smoking Friday night, oven overnight with an alarm set.

Otherwise, I would cook/rest/pull/cool. It is much safer to cool once pulled vs. whole. It's also a breeze to heat up pulled vs. whole.

One thing I adamantly disagree with is the need to add liquid to either the bags before cooling or when reheating. It isn't needed...unless you screwed up the cook.