• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Need some help..Ways to chunk split wood??

flyingbassman5

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So after the big saturday of splitting wood, I've enough hickory to last me a good long while. The only problem I have now is how to get it cut down to chunks that are usable in my cookers. I've pondered a few of the possibilities and haven't come up with a good way to do it. Power tools WILL be involved though! :clap2:

Are there any brethren out there that have done this before? How did you get your splits cut down into chunks? Let it be know, I do not currently have access to a chain saw nor would I want to try to cut hundreds of 3" pieces with one..

I do have, however, a small (12" I think) miter saw, jigsaw(not that it would do much good), and hand grinder with wood cutting blade. Anybody think I could make due with just those?

Mitre saw, for sure. That's what my team does. Just make sure the logs are split small enough to be safe --- it's very easy to jam the blade in larger logs (at least for an idiot like me).

I only use chunks in the UDS i run a split on my table saw to make chunks or I use a chain saw, A saws all will work too.

Depending on how much wood and how energetic I feel I'll saw to length using a bow saw or a chain saw. If you're concerned about chain saw oil in your wood, use canola oil or biodegradeable bar oil.

I always cut to length and then split later. In my case, since I'm using chunks in a WSM, length is 3-4" long. In the chain saw world, what I cut are called cookies and they split real easy with a 3/4 axe.

If they are 3

If they are 3 inch splits I would let them dry and split them with a splitting maul.
Otherwise rent a wood splitter for a day and invite a few friends to help.

As long as the splits are small enough you should be able to get by easily with your chop saw

If they are 3

If they are 3 inch splits I would let them dry and split them with a splitting maul.
Otherwise rent a wood splitter for a day and invite a few friends to help.

The wood is already split. I just need to take what I way and cut it down to chunks. 3" was just a number I threw out on a wim. When I actually cut it, I'll just eye ball it.

I use my Fiskars X27 for splitting and my X7 hatchet for cutting into smaller "kindling" pieces using this method. I dont cut into chunks- just use the smaller pieces to create smaller wood if cooking in the smaller grill.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x31UtoLnY8Y"]Chopping kindling safely - YouTube[/ame]

I use my bandsaw. Much safer than a table or miter saw. Goes real fast too. Sorry you don't have one :)

I bought a 12" blade for my sawzall which can cut through nails embedded in wood. About 5" from HD. Works pretty well.

I have a cheap sawzall from Harbor Freight I think I paid $17 for it on sale

been using that for awhile now

I dont have a miter or table or band saw or i would use those instead

could use a circular saw too, clamp the splits in a vice and have at it

I use my bandsaw. Much safer than a table or miter saw. Goes real fast too. Sorry you don't have one :)

I'm sorry I don't have one either :( I would love more shop equipment but my shop just isn't big enough. Oh well.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I think I'll give the miter saw a shot and see how it goes. If not, I'll break out the circular saw I forgot I had :biggrin1:

Back