MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Default Green BBQ?

We catered a lunch for 55 people in Silicon Valley yesterday. Everyone raved about how good the food was. But we had one question passed on to us later from an attendee who belongs to a Silicon Valley green business organization. They often have food at their events and gatherings and he wanted to know if we could do "Green BBQ" for them?
Pardon my ignorance, but what on earth is "Green BBQ"!?

Old 09-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

"When the weather gets warmer, Americans fire up their grills by the millions, and the breezes fill with the characteristic scent of sizzling meats and roasting vegetables. Cooking over an open flame is deeply embedded in our genetic memory, so it's no surprise that so many of us enjoy a good BBQ -- especially when we invite over some friends and family. The trouble is, grilling can be toxic, even downright polluting. Burning charcoal or wood produces clouds of sooty particles that can lodge in lungs, irritating asthma and other respiratory problems. Carcinogenic volatile organic compounds like benzene are released. The whole mess can contribute to smog.
To make matters worse, overcharring meat can produce toxic chemicals in the food itself. Still, this doesn't mean you have to swear off the sizzle. With the right gear and a few tips, you can still kick back, throw a great barbecue, and grill up some world-class eats."

Video

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
BBQ Grail

More wacked BBQ

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp1fox View Post
"When the weather gets warmer, Americans fire up their grills by the millions, and the breezes fill with the characteristic scent of sizzling meats and roasting vegetables. Cooking over an open flame is deeply embedded in our genetic memory, so it's no surprise that so many of us enjoy a good BBQ -- especially when we invite over some friends and family. The trouble is, grilling can be toxic, even downright polluting. Burning charcoal or wood produces clouds of sooty particles that can lodge in lungs, irritating asthma and other respiratory problems. Carcinogenic volatile organic compounds like benzene are released. The whole mess can contribute to smog.
To make matters worse, overcharring meat can produce toxic chemicals in the food itself. Still, this doesn't mean you have to swear off the sizzle. With the right gear and a few tips, you can still kick back, throw a great barbecue, and grill up some world-class eats."

Video
What the heck... marinated tofu cubes? I think my answer to them will be a definite "NO!"

Propane or natural gas are your most environmentally-friendly liquid options. They’re not perfect, but they’re generally more efficient even than your oven. Solar barbecues are starting to hit the market—check out www.solarcooking.ca.
Finally, just because it’s BBQ doesn’t mean it has to be meat. Keep up that low-meat diet. Skewered veggies (think peppers, zucchini, red onions) with marinated tofu cubes is a great summery option. Happy grilling!
Old 09-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha View Post
We catered a lunch for 55 people in Silicon Valley yesterday. Everyone raved about how good the food was. But we had one question passed on to us later from an attendee who belongs to a Silicon Valley green business organization. They often have food at their events and gatherings and he wanted to know if we could do "Green BBQ" for them?
Pardon my ignorance, but what on earth is "Green BBQ"!?
You should check to see if burning chunk or lump can be described or spun as carbon neutral. In other words, the off gasses during burning are off set by the "positive" gasses being excreted while the material was alive before harvesting or production.

Combine this with some statement about local ingredients, range fed, etc, and you could perhaps call it green.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #6
BBQ Grail

Marsha, I'd go with your first thought.

Tell them to take a hike.

Email me for details.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
Bbq Bubba

Maybe Spicewine can convert over to gas for his smokers......

To the penalty box!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:21 PM   #8
Forney
is one Smokin' Farker

I was thinking food coloring...

Perry Lodge #185, F&AM ([I]Dean Gerber Award[/I])

[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]GO MEAT!![/FONT][/B][/I]
Forney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
big brother smoke

Perhaps they are talking about using bio-degradable/compostable plates, napkins, silverware, cups, etc.

I get these request from time to time, however, they never referred to it as "green bbq."