Biscuits and Gravy

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
For some reason, with a full repertoire of southern dishes I know how to cook at my disposal, I could not find inspiration for doing anything else but biscuits and gravy. With a twist :becky:

I cooked a fatty, cause I needed this to be Throw Down eligible. And a fatty makes it cooked over fire. I used Beeler's Pork Sausage, rolled in something Sweet and Spicy, then cooked over some charcoal and a little peach wood from yesterdays cook.
PB130369.jpg

The odd setup was because I wanted to make sure I captured the grease from the fatty for making the gravy, this is very important. There is another reason that cast iron skillet is there. More on that later.

I then made some biscuit dough, which I decided to use a cream biscuit recipe. I have decided I need new baking powder, as my current baking powder does not appear to be double acting anymore, it barely seems to be acting at all. Last time I buy Shatner brand baking powder. Hehe, that's a joke son.

Anyways, the biscuit dough was rolled and cut, so I added some lard, which Smokejumper so kindly provided me with. It took about 2 tablespoons of the lard into the skillet to get me where I needed in terms of saturated fats. Here are the biscuits on the kettle...
PB130370.jpg

I brushed a little lard on the top of the biscuits as well, wanted to make sure they were crispy. These cooked at 400F for 20 minutes. Now, before we get to the plate, here is the fatty slices and biscuits, look at those lovely crunchy bases on the biscuits. Yes, they are soaked in lard, this is southern cooking after all.
PB130372.jpg

Initially I plated it with some quick sauteed baby spinach and baby shiitake mushrooms, some biscuit tops and a little hot cranbanero preserves from Diane's Sweet Heat. This went really well with the biscuit tops. This made an excellent dinner plate.
PB130376-1.jpg

Hmm, that photo looks a little blurry, I wonder if I uploaded the incorrect photo (fixed, it was). Anyway, this gave me an idea.
PB130379.jpg

Now, which to submit for the Throw Down...

Oh, if you think the spinach is an odd choice, I highly recommend you try it. The spinach/mushroom saute was absolutely excellent with the biscuits and gravy combo.

Last edited:
It does look Christmas-y.

I added spinach, which makes it healthier.

Back