Gumbo sides

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have made a gumbo and was wondering what kind of sides if any you serve with yours? I may not have this tonight because I intended on cooking a tri-tip last night then the sky opened up and sent down buckets of water and lots of hail. I have been wanting to make the gumbo and it will keep for another day, I need to do the tri-tip today. I already have the rice for it. I promise I wont get bent if I don't like your answer, or go off on some wild tangent totally unrelated to the thread, trust me I promise.
Dave

A good crusty bread is all I ever have on the side. Oh, and a cold beer. :becky:

CD

Umm hot sauce at my place. I may add a shot of Shack Attack BBQ sauce to my bowl of gumbo and rice. Crusty bread that maybe made into a garlic and cheese bread to push the gumbo onto a spoon. Some bread and butter pickles for crunch also make a nice side too.

Gumbo IS a side around this house. Start with a doz raw oysters, then the gumbo, followed by a huge seafood platter.
I just made myself hungry!!!

This is an excellent potato salad recipe:

4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 bunch scallions (green and white parts), finely chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons Creole or whole-grain mustard
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
1 and 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped parsley

If you don't plan to plop the potato salad in the gumbo and just want to eat it on its side, add about 3 tablespoons of sweet relish.

Gumbo has everything in it. You don't need sides.

In New Orleans, you get a big bowl of gumbo with a golf-ball sized scoop of rice in the middle with hot buttered French bread on the side.

Out towards Cajun country (New Orleans isn't Cajun, it's Creole), sometimes you'll see potato salad replace the rice on the bowl.

In Louisiana, we say that there are as many recipes for gumbo as there are cooks that make it. I am a traditionalist. I do not mix meat and seafood. I make Chicken and Sausage, Duck and Andouille, Seafood, or Gumbo z'herbes. In my opinion, smoked sausage or tasso overpower the delicate flavors of seafood.

I use a light roux for seafood, a medium roux for chicken, and a dark roux for duck. You can make your roux in advance and freeze it. Here's an example:
picture.php

Pro-tip: Don't let your wife catch you using her muffin pans for non-bakery items.

Also, I use okra to thicken seafood gumbos and file for meat-based gumbos.

David
The Swine Spectator

Good idea on the muffin pans. I prefer a medium to dark roux for gumbo, 2nd or 3rd from the left. Grandmother made it with a dark roux so I've adapted it to my style.
By the way, potato salad and hot French bread is served as a side in my house.

the Gumbo turned out great and I will probably have it tonight. I don't have any file on hand so I may go get some later today, the receipt was with or with out so I went without. I got the roue to a deep copper color then added the usual veges, onion, green pepper and celery, diced tomato, andouille sausage, some chopped beef brisket I smoked a few days ago, chicken, okra, and at the last moment shrimp with some fish sauce, along various seasonings. This I put over rice with some hot sauce for me, it was tempting to just eat this and forget about the tri-tip, but very happy I did the tri-tip, it was served with french fries, the meat went on a bun with mayo, horseradish, tomato, and onion , think I will be having a do over for lunch today, because it was da bomb.

My wife and I thought the potato salad sounded a bit odd, but when in Rome, are some of you saying to put the gumbo on the potato salad or on the side? Crusty bread would be nice, I happened to have cornbread already made from another meal a couple days ago so that is what I will go with. The wife got home from work and went into her yew what is that and what is in it mod, but bless her hart she tried some and said it was very good, to her, and to my surprise as well. :shocked:
Dave

Dave, glad the gumbo was good. I LOVE good gumbo. My wife comes from about as far south as you can get in Louisiana. She eats gumbo over potato salad only. I mix potato salad and rice half and half.

Dave, glad the gumbo was good. I LOVE good gumbo. My wife comes from about as far south as you can get in Louisiana. She eats gumbo over potato salad only. I mix potato salad and rice half and half.

One more question, is the potato salad heated or cold, and minis the pickle relish?
Dave

Rice for sure, some scallion on top and crusty bread for soppin. Might even have maque choux which I also like to add mirliton to.

We always put some chopped green onions and Filé powder on top. I prefer a scoop of rice but have done a scoop of potato salad in the bowl.

Potato salad can be hot or cold. I like a creamy mustard potato salad.

Back