MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default Chicken Korma... with pr0n.

Cooked indoors yesterday for a change. Decided to make chicken korma because I had a hankering for it.

Started with a whole chicken form Costco. Skinned it and cut it up into pieces.

Gathered up the spices, sort of mise en place. Whole spices included bay leaves, dates, saffron, star anise, mace, black cardamom, green cardamom, peppercorns, cloves, and fennel seed.

The ground spices ( I could have used whole coriander and cumin but I had just ground some a couple of days ago). Turmeric, coriander, garam masala, salt, cayenne, cumin, and almonds ( I know they are whole, but I needed a place to put them.

Toasted the whole spices then ground them up. Took the seeds out of the green cardamom before toasting. After toasting, I removed the bay leaf, black cardamom, star anise, and cinnamon to add to the pot later. I blanched the almonds, peeled them and toasted them too, to grind with the other whole spices.

Sliced some onions and started frying them in a little oil. The recipe called for about a cup of oil, but my arteries can't take that, so I used about 1-2 tbsp. Just took a little longer to brown, but much healthier.

Once the onions were browned, I removed about 80% of them to grind/blend with 3/4 cup of plain nonfat Greek yogurt.

Added the cut chicken to the pot with some ginger and garlic paste - about 3 times more garlic than ginger.

When the chicken was a bit browned, the spices went in. It had been smelling great already,but when the spices hit the pan, it was like an aroma bomb went off. The scent of saffron, cumin, coriander, mace, and other masalas filled the kitchen.

Oh and a few helpings of this were added to the chef during the cook.

Added the yogurt + onion blend and let everything get friendly for a little while, then added 1 cup of water to make some sauce, and a couple of green chilies to kick it up a notch.

Plated shot, with brown basmati rice, on a stainless steel thali.

It was mighty tasty, but my mom's chicken curry still wins!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks for sharing!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
basuraman
Full Fledged Farker

Very nice..

Old 01-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

I'd put a serious dent into that!

Old 01-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Now THAT's what I'm talking about! Have you ever thought about putting some boneless chicken thighs marinated in tandoori paste and cooking on skewers in your tandoor? That might be a tasty twist.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
landarc

You sure do it up right, nice cook. Tell me that's not all you ate

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Now THAT's what I'm talking about! Have you ever thought about putting some boneless chicken thighs marinated in tandoori paste and cooking on skewers in your tandoor? That might be a tasty twist.
You're right, and I might try that next time. Some dishes call for a small steel bowl to be placed in the pot, into which goes a lit piece of charcoal. You then pour a spoonful of ghee on the charcoal and seal up the pot quickly with dough. The ghee sizzles on the charcoal, introducing a smoky flavor into the dish.

Have you had chicken tikka masala before? It was invented in England when a balti joint customer pi$$ed off the cook by saying the tandoori chicken was too dry. The cook took the chicken, added a can of tomato soup, some spices and voila - chicken tikka masala was born. At least that's how the story goes.

I think the char and smokiness of grilled chicken would taste really good in this dish, so I'll defintiely give it a whirl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
You sure do it up right, nice cook. Tell me that's not all you ate
I did eat more than that... that was just a tasting portion!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]

Old 01-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
BobM
Babbling Farker

That is great, nice job!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey Clint the Islay Single Malt sure helps the cooking process - I approve!
John

Old 01-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

That looks terrific!
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #11
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHB View Post
Hey Clint the Islay Single Malt sure helps the cooking process - I approve!
John
The Lagavulin Distiller's Edition is my current favorite - robust peaty flavor with a hint of sweetness. And it definitely helps the cooking process!

Old 01-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #12
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
The Lagavulin Distiller's Edition is my current favorite - robust peaty flavor with a hint of sweetness. And it definitely helps the cooking process!
I haven't tried that - I may go on line & order it. My current favourite distiller is Ardbeg. I have a few of their's open at the same time. They are good peaty Islays.
I usually hold the ice and drink with a dash of filtered water!
John