Looking for coleslaw recipe...

Ron_L said:
I added this thread to the KCQUER Roadmap so we can find it again later.

If you like KFC slaw, this is a great knock-off. We use this all of the time and everyone loves it.

I've made that one also Ron. Probably got the recipe here at the fourm. My go to for a quick slaw is still the one that you posted here. Went looking for the thread and can't find it. Here is a wordpad file I use to make it:

BBQ COLE SLAW

3 cups chopped red cabbage
3 tbs minced white onion (can substitute scallions)
1 small carrot - grated or thinly sliced
3 tbs cider vinegar
3 tbs mayonnaise
1 tbs dijon mustard
1 tsp worchestershire
1/2 tsp sugar (adjust to taste)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp celery seed - lightly crushed
Ground black pepper to taste
Dash or 2 of hot sauce (adjust to taste)

Mix everything together in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serves 4 as a side.

Damar12 said:
Cock of The Walk Cole Slaw (with slight adjustments)

1 lb. bag of ready mixed slaw with carrots
1/4 cup green onions chopped
1/4 cup white or vidalia onions, chopped
1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped
1/8 cup sugar
2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic powder
2 tsp Lawry's salt or Tony Cachere's creole seasoning
1 TBSp white vinegar
12 oz Mayonnaise

Yes! after years of high level espionage I have managed to get my hands on the recipe for the best damn cole slaw in the South.....the famous Cock of the Walk Catfish restaurants delectable, mouth watering concoction................without further blathering - From Mike Sanders in Mobile Ala
Directions:
mix all ingredients and taste....if bitter add more sugar..............refrigerate 24 hours....then pig out! Overnight is fine too.
Adjust mayonaise for consistency and taste.
Note: I have changed the original just a tad, the use of ready made cole slaw in a bag. I used 2 tsp of Tony C. this time. I used 2 tsp lawrys last time. It was good. It is good either way.

Very good recipe my brother. Made it up last night. First taste was a little sweet. After 24 hours the sweet is gone and the heat is on. I like this a lot.

I am glad ya enjoyed it, I know we do. My bride generally doesn't care for cole slaw, but she loves this stuff ......... go figure, WOMEN.

A big thanks to Ron and the rest of you for this thread. Luv that slaw.:-D

Cock of the Walk is the chit!!!

Me & BeerGuy went to Nashville for work about 12-14 years ago. We went to Cock of the Walk for dinner one night.

Here's the menu:

Fried Chicken

or

Fried Catfish

or

Fried Chicken AND Fried Catfish

Then you get tons of the good sides:

Cornbread
green beans
Cole slaw

Oh, and Sweet Ice tea

Yeah, good eats!

Hey Brauma, what about the deep-fried pickles?

qman said:
Hey Brauma, what about the deep-fried pickles?

I was hoping BeerGuy would jump in here. He can remember what we did 15 years ago like it was yesterday but cant remember what he did yesterday for another 15 years...errr, something like that.

Anyway, I dont recall the pickles. I recall the cornbread being flipped up in the air and being caught back in the cast iron skillets. Great place. I didnt leave hungry.

Great Aunt Cathy

Straight out of the Basic United Methodist Church Annual Cookbook. Authored by my Great Aunt Cathy from the Shenandoah Valley, Va. It's my favorite slaw and much different than most.

1 medium head cabbage (I mix green and red)
1 medium onion (white onion)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vinegar (white is good as well as apple)
1/2 cup Canola oil
2 oz. pimento
1/2 green pepper
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp Dash

Slice cabbage and onion. Place a thin layer on cabbage, onion and sugar, repeat until ingredients are finished. Bring the other ingredients to a boil, stir to a rolling boil. Pour evenly over cabbage mixture and cover quickly and tightly with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for at least 4 hours, 48 hours is even better. Stir once the slaw is pulled from the fridge.

Sounds a little wierd but I promise it's great!:-D

Aunt Cathy would be proud!!!

Cock of The Walk Cole Slaw (with slight adjustments)

1 lb. bag of ready mixed slaw with carrots
1/4 cup green onions chopped
1/4 cup white or vidalia onions, chopped
1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped
1/8 cup sugar
2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic powder
2 tsp Lawry's salt or Tony Cachere's creole seasoning
1 TBSp white vinegar
12 oz Mayonnaise

Yes! after years of high level espionage I have managed to get my hands on the recipe for the best damn cole slaw in the South.....the famous Cock of the Walk Catfish restaurants delectable, mouth watering concoction................without further blathering - From Mike Sanders in Mobile Ala
Directions:
mix all ingredients and taste....if bitter add more sugar..............refrigerate 24 hours....then pig out! Overnight is fine too.
Adjust mayonaise for consistency and taste.
Note: I have changed the original just a tad, the use of ready made cole slaw in a bag. I used 2 tsp of Tony C. this time. I used 2 tsp lawrys last time. It was good. It is good either way.

We made this and it was A M A Z I N G, even my kids who do not like slaw ate it. I may never make another recipe of slaw after this one.

Thanks so much for sharing this.

Back