MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Announcing a Pretty Good BBQ 2010

Yep, that's right... A Pretty Good BBQ is back for it's third year, on May 15 and 16, 2010.

What's a Pretty Good BBQ?

It's a bbq event in Dayton, Ohio, at the North Campus of the Dayton Vineyard Church. We'll be cooking 750 pounds of boston butts and brisket overnight on Saturday to Sunday. Along the way, the cooks will do demos of rib trimming, MOINK ball making, ABT stuffing, coffee roasting, and anything else we can come up with for men from the church to learn from (as well as the other cooks).

I'm working on ensuring that the cooks have pit assistants on hand for the whole time the event is going, and we'll have dinner with staff on Saturday night, with plenty of time to relax and have fun.

Why have a Pretty Good BBQ?

To serve the people of the community. On Sunday after service, we'll feed people from the neighborhood (there were about 400 last year) with free barbecue. We'll do our best to build a couple competitions along the way into the mix, with brisket, pork being judged on Sunday, and ABTs and MOINK balls on Saturday evening.

The benefit to the cooks include:

1. A great weekend of being around other brethren
2. A chance to give others from our own gifts of cooking

Cooks, you can fill in with other benefits you had, for those that have been at previous events.

I still am amazed at the response I've gotten in the past 2 years with people coming to the event from 2-3 states away, and I can't wait to see everyone again, and hopefully a few new cooks.

P.S. I'm already working on tshirts so we have time, and we're gather donations for meat already, so we shouldn't have to cart in a truckload of pork pieces like last year!

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

dang! i'm booked for cooking the golf tournament that weekend this year
Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight View Post
dang! i'm booked for cooking the golf tournament that weekend this year
Both days? We're glad to have you for whatever time we can get you!

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
Smokin'Ron
Full Fledged Farker

If it is an open invite, I may be available. I have to find out when my neice's Graduation is, I promised her I would bring the food.

1- Cheap Charcoal grill (gone to the graveyard)
Smokin'Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'll try to get that Sunday off - I know Drew (my son) would like to join in, too!

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
Divemaster

Curt, you know that I already put the event on our site calendar so I’m going to be there and I’m hoping to bring a couple of members of our team with me!

With all of the new members that have been added to this wondrous site since last May, I did a quick search and found our original threads to give them some history.

2008 - Pretty Good BBQ

2008 - Pretty Good BBQ - Roll Call

2008 - Pretty Good BBQ - Pron

2009 - Pretty Good BBQ

As you can see, it’s kind of like a clean bash but with a purpose. With these tough economic times, while all areas of our country have been hit, some places have been slammed. This is a chance to show these residents that there are those that care.

You don’t have to be a member of the church. What you do have to be is someone that cares. Cares enough to show up on a Saturday morning, cook through the night with friends that you may have meet in person or maybe just meet online, pack up and leave on Sunday.

What do you get out of it? If you have to ask, you are in more of a need to join us than some of the residents around the church. This is really what it means to be a brother. I can pretty much guarantee that you’ll be explaining and teaching what you are doing to either a resident or a member of the church or just sitting listing and telling stories through the night. I guess the best comment came last year when a resident asked “Why did you do it?”. The answer that came back was “Because a friend asked.”.

If you can, please consider putting this event on your calendar. It’s well worth it!

OK, I’ll get off my soap box now and pray that I’ll see a bunch of you there.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.

Last edited by Divemaster; 02-16-2010 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: Found additional threads
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Ditto what Dive said... its an eye-opening, heart-warming Bash for the locals in Dayton.

Thanks again Curt!!!
I'll be there. Have cooker, will travel.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD

Last edited by BBQ Bandit; 02-16-2010 at 03:32 PM..
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams View Post
Both days? We're glad to have you for whatever time we can get you!
friday, saturday, & sunday
Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

We have been a part of Vineyard Churches in the past
Good times serving those in need

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post

I guess the best comment came last year when a resident asked “Why did you do it?”. The answer that came back was “Because a friend asked.”.
True definition of what The Brethren is about.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #11
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Unless things change here, I plan to be there!
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
Unless things change here, I plan to be there!
Glad to hear it!!! I know you were missed last year!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #13
big brother smoke

I will re-do my donation.