logo

High Plains Kettle Fried Chicken (with a side trip to Nashville) - w/ Pr0n

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Happy Sunday, folks!

Bit of an experiment going on here, as CINCHOUSE had the hankering for Nashville Hot Chicken as we got home from a rather nice shindig last night. We agreed that we really aren't in the mood to handle the cleanup required for deep fried goodness, so we agreed that we'd finish it on the kettle with the Vortex.

This is a combo of three recipes:
1. The adobo poach and marinade from Ed Lee's Fried Chicken
2. The wet and dry breading process from Sean Brock's Heritage Cookbook
3. The post-cook spicy oil dip from Carla Hall's Nashville Hot Chicken

Built myself an old fashioned, and I'm about to get started... this'll take most of the afternoon, and our munchkin is down for a nap.

Good thing they labeled these, as I thought I'd accidentally grabbed a pork loin or two. :shock: :doh:

g9vNC2Qh.jpg

Built the Adobo Marinade:

ZoMdRlTh.jpg

Time for a slow and steady poach:

xXk2mQlh.jpg

Off to a good start. I'm tuned in. Sadly, there are some people that probably need those stickers.

I was going to say the same thing about the label. Great minds ( and smart a$$es) think alike:heh:
Knowing your cooking skills, I expect nothing less than incredible!

While the chicken rested (in the Adobo bath) after the poach, I whipped up Carla Hall's Post-Fry Spicy Dredge/Dip/Bath (whatever).

bH6AeEUh.jpg

Toasted the spices for a bit until they were fragrant:

GBHWvSWh.jpg

Oh yeah, that looks sweet, spicy, and very flavorful:

oUi4ED8h.jpg

So what is that ? Chicken?

Do you simmer that Marinade first?

I hope so, on the chicken question, Titch. One can only guess sometimes these days. :crazy:

Simmer? Yes, sir. The gospel according to Ed Lee, verse 2, directs us heathens to simmer the marinade/poaching liquid for about 5 minutes before we add the chicken. I've used Ed's full recipe/procedure before, and it is DELICIOUS. It's also a fun video to watch from Mind of a Chef, if you do a quick search on the Interwebs.

Bird resting and drying after the Adobo wet sauna.

tjpSl2Lh.jpg

Taking a break before building the breading station from the Sean Brock Husk recipe.

P.S. - It smells farkin' delicious in here. That post-fry oil dip/bath thing is perfuming the air with its sweet/spicy/smokiness.

If I could fly a farkin plane I'd be on my way right now! :hungry:

This all looks very interesting - I've never poached before frying but I could definitely see that as being a very good thing to do.

edit - I was typing this post as yer post above went live - anyway - that Ludo feller? that is definitely someone to listen to! He has a great food truck and a chicken spot on Universal City Walk - there's a dude who knows how to make great food.

Super looking forward to this!

If I could fly a farkin plane I'd be on my way right now! :hungry:

This all looks very interesting - I've never poached before frying but I could definitely see that as being a very good thing to do.

Greg,

We live in the middle of bloody nowhere, but you're welcome.

CINCHOUSE tried poaching wings before baking (while I was deployed) with GREAT results on the crispy skin and tender meat areas.

I expect this KFC to take significantly less cooking time on the kettle than w/o the poaching step.

I'm such a huge fan of Mind of a Chef (through the years), that I've come to take bits and pieces of different chefs' recipes and techniques and put them together. NO guarantees, but I figure they're WAY more experienced at this than I am! Why not give it a shot!?

Hope this finds you well and cooking another batch of wings, as per usual. Best to you and the family.

^^^I'm actually fixing to get up off the couch right now & fry some wings so as to get that one last use out of some aging oil I'm about to toss. :oops:

If you're ever out this way, holler and we can hit Ludo's, or APL's, or wherever! One problem L.A. doesn't have is a shortage of great food spots.

Marc,

Great ingredients, patience with prep, attention to detail, great pics, and careful time management have been the hallmarks of every cook you have posted here. :thumb:

You BRING IT on every cook you post here................and I'm taking notes. :-D

Waiting to drool over final product...

Hot chicken has been on my mind a lot lately. Did one last weekend. Can’t wait to see yours. :shock:

Back