MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #16
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVBBQ View Post
Alright. I got aggravated and pulled the maverick out. boiling water test put both the pit and meat thermo at 214 degrees in boiling water. These probes are working fine I guess. But there is absolutely something funky going on here.

There is no way the thermo on my drum reads 195, the stand alone oven thermo on the grate reads 220, and the maverick reads 235.

How does this make sense?
If you did the boil test your "stand alone oven thermo on the grate" must be off. Try checking all of it together in yor kitchen oven and see what happens there.

I had about 5 thermometers. I checked them and got 5 temps.
The boil test is correct.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVBBQ View Post
Alright. I got aggravated and pulled the maverick out. boiling water test put both the pit and meat thermo at 214 degrees in boiling water. These probes are working fine I guess. But there is absolutely something funky going on here.

There is no way the thermo on my drum reads 195, the stand alone oven thermo on the grate reads 220, and the maverick reads 235.

How does this make sense?
I'm not quite sure what your measuring or how. BUT PLEASE NOTE, the temperature on the side of the drum can and will vary anywhere from 20* to 50* different from the center. The amount it differs will also change throughout the cook as the way the charcoal burns changes. This is all normal.

If a quick boil test was 214, I would say your Maverick is close enough.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #18
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow how did I miss a Maverick Thread. I post on most of them that I find. I think that the answers given by most of you make perfect sense. Remember when testing any thermometer (Digital or Bi Metal) it is best to test with boiling water so you know what is your target temperature. Also thermometers have accuracy tolerances at different temperatures. You may be + or - 2 degrees at one temp range but + or - 4 degrees at another temp range.

I am a PM away for anyone that has a Maverick Question.
I get them often from people that feel their question is dumb and dont want to post it because they are embarrassed to ask.
[B]The BBQ Equipment Store[/B]
[URL="http://www.BBQEQUIPMENTSTORE.COM/?sourceCode=bbq-brethren"]www.bbqequipmentstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR=red][B][COLOR=red][B]Proud 2015 Sponsor of Christmas City BBQ, Astro Pigs and Drilling and Grilling[/B][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR]No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #19
DVBBQ
Got Wood.

I understand all the issues with thermometers. I am a knowledgable UDS user, I understand that the side thermo will be off 20 degrees. This is how I usually temp out my cooks.

I have two oven thermometers that read 225 on the grate. In this instance the side thermo on the drum reads lower at 200. This makes sense and is how I have always cooked.

I bought the Maverick to have an accurate thermo and for its remote capabilities. The Maverick starts out reading in sync (5 degrees higher) with the grill thermos but after 4 or 5 hours or so it jumps up to 260-270 when the grate thermos remain at 225 and the side thermo at 200. If I believe the Maverick and reduce the intake on my drum to get the Maverick down to 225, the side thermo on the drum reads 150 and the grate thermos 175-180.

I then ripped the maverick outta there to do the boil test. It was accurate as I mentioned at 214 degrees for both probes.

I put the maverick back in after restarting the unit and it was reading 235-240.

Later in the day about 5 hours later, it was reading 270-280 for some ribs while the side thermo read 220 and the grate thermos 245.This does not make sense to me.

The bottom line is that I don't trust the Maverick, and I just bought it. My first cook with the maverick a couple weeks ago was a disaster. I had temps climbing on a butt as normal, was up around 160 degrees internal meat temp and the maverick grate temp spiked. I ran with it and get it down to 225, listening to the maverick instead of the drum thermo which read 160. My temps on the meat started falling. This is when I began to be suspicious.

I bought the Maverick to up my level of cooking, to be more accurate and to get some sleep. The bottom line is that these numbers and temp differences don't make sense.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #20
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

In the above described cook, what all were you cooking? Just a butt? Where were the oven thermos and the Maverick probe located on the grate? Could you look down and see where the fire was burning in the basket?
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #21
campdude
Babbling Farker

I've tested my ET732 twice and was within 3* of boiling both times. I did have a bad pit probe which Maverick gladly replaced for free ( after warrenty period was up).
campdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2012, 12:49 AM   #22
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

I gave up on the original E73 about a year ago, the temps were all over the place in boiling water.. from 178* to 213*. I went through 2 of them too.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #23
Youngin'
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Bear

I was going to post a thread asking which one I should purchase today. I think by reading this I'll spend the extra $ and buy the Thermoworks TW8060.

Thanks,

Brian
Youngin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #24
DVBBQ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
In the above described cook, what all were you cooking? Just a butt? Where were the oven thermos and the Maverick probe located on the grate? Could you look down and see where the fire was burning in the basket?
I was cooking a butt, and ribs for the final 6 hours. The lid was not opened within the first 6 hours of the butt cook. The fire was in the middle of the basket and all three pi thermos were within 2 inches of each other. Has anyone else experienced the maverick being finicky?

I may have to try the thermoworks myself. Cant justify the expense though.

A video comparing the two would be great Clickover!

Last edited by DVBBQ; 01-27-2012 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: adding answer
DVBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #25
BruceB
is one Smokin' Farker

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/...emp_timer.html

I have several of these from Thermoworks, they are very accurate and a lot less $$$ then anything else I've seen mentioned. If you're going to run two probes with the TW8060 you might as well save yourself some money and use these, IMHO.

Bruce

22 1/2" WSM and 18 1/2" WSM
Weber 22 1/2" Kettle, Weber Jumbo Joe 18 1/2"
Weber Genesis Gasser
Treasurer, Great Lakes Barbecue Association
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Accuracy, Maverick, Thermoworks