MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
antone04
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Competion brisket

Hello guys, I'm new to the forum and had a question. When I cook a brisket, I cook on my backyard offset smoker at 250 for about 12-15 hours depending on the size of the brisket. I'm cooking in my first comp this Friday and plan on cooking four briskets in a larger offset smoker, the smoker can hold about 8 briskets, any suggestions on if I need to crank up the heat because I'm gonna have four briskets on the pit?
antone04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 01:11 AM   #2
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

A few questions first.

Have you practiced cooking more than one brisket on your BY smoker? Have you cooked on the larger smoker before? Will there be anything else on the larger smoker besides the 4 briskets?

Old 04-10-2014, 04:57 AM   #3
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

cooking 4 along with all the other meats? Amount of time that Pit temp will recover changes, however temp to cook at does not change vrs volumn....also the amount of wood used to maintain temp will, you have more mass to heat up..if you go in with cold meats your ambient temps will fall quicker, think about a mixxed drink, 1 ice cube or 4? Maintain your desired pit temp and when its done its done..so the bottom line is, if the recovery time lags so will your rise of internal meat temps.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:40 AM   #4
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

4 briskets for a comp? wow

Old 04-10-2014, 05:45 AM   #5
BABYGOTBUTT
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
4 briskets for a comp? wow

Double WOW!!!! Get one good quality brisket and concentrate on making that "one" the best.
BABYGOTBUTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-10-2014, 06:22 AM   #6
rtboswell
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABYGOTBUTT View Post
Double WOW!!!! Get one good quality brisket and concentrate on making that "one" the best.
This!

Old 04-10-2014, 06:36 AM   #7
Nhfefx
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Yes, 4 is a bit much; we cook 2 - from different sources - each comp
And temp is temp 250 is 250 unless your pit is hotter or colder depending on location . . . . .
Big Green Egg; Bar B Chef Offset; Weber 22" kettle
Nhfefx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #8
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by antone04 View Post
Hello guys, I'm new to the forum and had a question. When I cook a brisket, I cook on my backyard offset smoker at 250 for about 12-15 hours depending on the size of the brisket. I'm cooking in my first comp this Friday and plan on cooking four briskets in a larger offset smoker, the smoker can hold about 8 briskets, any suggestions on if I need to crank up the heat because I'm gonna have four briskets on the pit?
To re-word what others above are saying/asking; why 4 briskets? Most competitions requiring brisket are 1 turn-in blind. For these types of contests, most competitors cook 1 or 2 briskets. Me, I always do 2, but I have a Lang 84 and capacity has never been an issue and we love eating leftovers...

If your smoker has good heat circulation around the briskets, cooking them at your established temperatures should be fine and you shouldn't need to either increase the temperature nor change your cook times/schedule.

Best of luck!
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #9
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Get 2 briskets, one is always better than the other in more than one way.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
Smokesignalsfromtx
is one Smokin' Farker

I took a class from this guy once and what he said makes since. Cook only one of each category (except ribs 2). This way you won't be second guessing yourself on your turn ins. Also you'll learn to perfect what you do, not to mention saving $$$.....
Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Chubby G2, Weber OTG 22.5 (Homer series, RIP), Weber OTG 22.5, WSM 22.5, WSM 18.5, Weber Jumbo Joe, Weber Smokey Joe, Guru DX2 (X3), Insainly [B][I]Fast[/I][/B] [B][I][COLOR="Red"]RED[/COLOR][/I][/B] THERMOPEN MK4, Super, Duper [I][B]Fast[/B][/I] [COLOR=red][B][I]RED[/I][/B][/COLOR] THERMOPEN, Maverick 732,733, Weber S-330, Blackstone Flat Grill, Brinkman Electric Gourmet(X2) "The Twins"

Rick
Smokesignalsfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
Get 2 briskets, one is always better than the other in more than one way.
This. Brisket is a heartbreaker, because there is so much variability in the meat. You can go minimal on the other meats, and we do, but we still do two briskets.

I can't see four, though, just the time to process/slice/evaluate four would be pushing the timeline to get an entry assembled and not have it end up looking just as rushed as it was.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #12
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

What she said! I still just cook one, but it's bit me on the butt before (just look for BBQr's Delight score at the AR open last year -- start at the bottom). Still I can't decide between two for turn in. My palate is shot by then.
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #13
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Don't over think it. Just cook what you want. Everyone will tell you their hero stories of what they cook and how they can cook 6 chicken thighs and one rack of ribs and they win all the time. Cook four briskets of you have the room and effort. I cook one because I am lazy. There are plenty of comps I wish I had 4. There is nothing wrong with 4 or 2 or 1. Whatever makes you comfortable. I use to cook four pork butts to get the box I wanted.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #14
MikeyBfromTN
On the road to being a farker

I would search the forum, as this is a topic that was been talked about...a LOT.
MikeyBfromTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #15
J&B'sBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

We cook on an off-set RF cooker (30x60 chamber size), and the only struggles we find with temperature is when we pack that baby full she struggles to maintain the higher temsp we like to run at. For a competition (KCBS) we cook 2 briskets, 2 butts, 4 slabs of ribs, and a sampling of chicken. If we happen to overlap our times with our big meats, having all of this on there at once does make our temp struggle to say higher, but placement to ensure we're not blocking flow helps to resolve that issue. I would make sure you have some extra fuel so you can feed it more often if you find you're having issues.

With that being said, I do agree that 4 briskets may be a bit of overkill depending on the type of competition you're doing.
[URL="http://www.southernqsmokers.com"]Southern Q Limo Jr. & 125 Water Cooker[/URL]
Proudly Supported By:
[URL="http://www.southernqsmokers.com"]Southern Q Smokers & Trailers[/URL]
[URL="http://www.swampboys.com/wordpress/"]Swamp Boys BBQ Sauces and Rubs[/URL]
[URL="https://carolinacookwood.com"]Carolina Cookwood[/URL][/FONT][/SIZE]
J&B'sBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote