Smoked Pork Loin Not Done

vnmg331

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I did my first pork loin last night on the pellet smoker. Everything I read said to take it to 140 degrees and then let it rest and slice it. So I did, it was actually around 142 when I took it off. It definitely was not done. We are taking it to a potluck today and will put it in crockpot so should be fine but.........why did this happen? I did seem to get some varying temps when I was checking it.

It was probably done, just pink, I'm guessing.

vnmg331,
Guessing you spend some time with a lathe?

If it was at 142* in the center, it was done. I usually pull them off at ~135*
Like dads said, could it have been pink from the smoke?

After setting, it would have risen above 145 deg, which is the safe temp according to the USDA. And they are conservative.

So I did, it was actually around 142 when I took it off. It definitely was not done.

No, if the center was 142° when you pulled it, it was definitely done. You may be coming from the bad old days of 180° pork? Rosy pink pork is definitely done, there's no need to go to dusty, dry snow white anymore. Also, depending on which end you cut from, you may have a bit of the loin cap in there, which is always going to be darker/pinker than the rest of the loin.

Pictures would be good to help us see what you saw. :thumb:

As others have said, it was "done". At 145, the color and texture is going to be a bit different than pork at 165. Like a medium steak is different than a well done one. Some people don't like it at 145, whether it's from a mistaken notion that it isn't safe, or, you simply don't like the texture.

Thinking about it more, did you temp it in more than one or two spots before pulling?
It is possible that one side didn't cook as much as the other.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Probe placement a little off maybe?

Usually I poke around with my ThermoPop when the Smoke or ChefAlarm hits my target temp just to make sure I don't find a spot that's cooler.

If I do, then I'll put the probe in that spot and take it up to target temp just to be sure it's done.

If you pulled it at 140 the IT will climb to 145 wish is medium, so I would have to assume that whatever you were using to measure the temp was off. I cook Pork Loins a lot, I'd say at least once a month and always pull at 140, use a ThermoWorks Dot to let me know when it hits 140.

Posted this cook last week.

0doOtGT.jpg

I always pull mine at 140 deg, let rest for awhile. It will have a slight pink color in the center but it is done. Just curious as to what you used to check the temp with? Maybe it is off and needs calibrating?

If you are used to eating pork that is well done - pork that is "done", but less done than well done, will not seem to be done.

It will have a different "look and feel" than well done pork.

The texture of the meat, just didn't look or feel done.
Got any pics? KevinJ posted some good pics of properly cooked pork. If you're used to, and are looking for the grey shoe leather mom used to cook, you'll need to keep cooking to about 165.

I agree with what has been said here. If the meat was actually cooked to 140F+, and left to rest for 15-20 min after removing from cooker, it was probably just right.

I know a lot of people who have only eaten overcooked pork loin and were expecting something different when I served them some of mine. Had one person want to toss it in the microwave to heat it up, and I suggested they skip the heating and eat it cold for fear of overcooking.

Even though loin is very lean, when it is cooked right, it is still tender, juicy, and full of flavor. I use BBQ loins a lot to make sammich meat. I'll chill it and slice deli thin with my meat slicer. Yumm! Way better than anything you can get at a deli counter. Smoked with peach wood is my preferred cook, but pecan, cherry, and apple are good too.

I think it's food safe fine. But if you know your crowd likes things more done, give them what they want. Unfortunately most of the people in my family won't eat any meat that has any hint of pink. All steaks/beef need to be well done, ribs need to be fall off the bone, meat mush. And pork chops, tough and chewy. They all grew up the same way thinking that meat needs to be cooked well done. It truly hurts my heart but since I'm cooking for them that's the way I give it to them. I spent years trying to feed them food that imparted my doneness preference. But all they wanted were pieces charred leather.

I think it's food safe fine. But if you know your crowd likes things more done, give them what they want. Unfortunately most of the people in my family won't eat any meat that has any hint of pink. All steaks/beef need to be well done, ribs need to be fall off the bone, meat mush. And pork chops, tough and chewy. They all grew up the same way thinking that meat needs to be cooked well done. It truly hurts my heart but since I'm cooking for them that's the way I give it to them. I spent years trying to feed them food that imparted my doneness preference. But all they wanted were pieces charred leather.

Well, you tried. Sounds like it's time for a new family! :biggrin1:

Back