MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #16
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Yeah, I really liked that model when I was shopping for a smoker and if I didn't need more capacity for my plans of doing some catering in the future, I'd have one sitting in my back yard right now! That's a quality cooking machine with a chargrill, smoker and warmer all on one cart and on pneumatic tires that will make a versatile but fairly heavy unit quite mobile! Unless you want to feed the masses, I don't think you will need too much more than that! Go for it bro!

Old 07-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #17
dano
is one Smokin' Farker

Never heard a bad thing about Lang.
dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #18
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

I bought the Lang 48 original about 2 years ago. I had a hard time convincing myself to upgrade from a $200 Char-Griller w/ SFB to a $2000 smoker. But, I can honestly say, it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. I love cooking on it, and I get lots of compliments on the food. It holds temps very well. I like sitting under my canopy, tending the fire, drinking a beer, and smelling that BBQ. Good times!

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #19
ironmanerik
is One Chatty Farker

The 48 patio is awesome, you can't go wrong with whatever Lang you choose.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #20
Nutz4bbq
On the road to being a farker

I have to agree with Peking Porker... buy one size bigger!!

I wanted a lang 48 deluxe on a trailer but got a lang 60 deluxe instead and I'm glad I got the bigger one... I can cook small or large with no worries!!
Nutz4bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #21
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PekingPorker View Post
Love my Lang, best Que I have cooked has come off it. I passed on the hybrid though since I already had multiple BGEs. If you buy a Lang though, I'll give you the MOST important piece of advice... Get one size bigger than the one you want! Many people told me this and I didn't listen...big mistake. I grew out of mine in about 2 weeks!

Also, I would pass on the warming cabinet and spend that money towards a larger cooking chamber.
You are right. I can actually get a 60 original for the price of this one... But it's so damn sexy though! I did read something about there being a 60 hybrid in the works. I'm going to pull the trigger in December or January so I have some time to weigh my options. Good points, thanks!

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #22
PekingPorker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunter View Post
But it's so damn sexy though!
I do agree! However, I've actually used the warming box once, and never really cooked in it. I will say this, it actually gets in the way a little. A good method is to place your log splits on top of the firebox and warm them up a bit before placing them on the fire. That way they catch and burn clean very quickly. The warming box somewhat hampers the size of splits you can put on top of the firebox.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #23
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

I have a 36 Lang and absolutely LOVE IT. We had a very nasty storm last week and it tore the tarp I cover mine with. The thought crossed my mine more than once (honestly more than a dozen times) to go out and at least move it around to get as much coverage as I could. The wind was blowing so hard it moved my gasser more than 4 feet on LOCKED casters. Needless to say, I was a bit worried about my own saftey if I had gone out there it was so bad.

Ok, back to the important stuff. You obviously have great taste in smokers, so that doesn't need to be mentioned. I have to continue what has been previously mentioned. Go a size up from what you think you need now. I seriously flirted with the 48 when I bought my 36, but thought the 36 would be more than enough for me. Most days it is, but there's always thoughs day you want to out cook the state (and you'll have those days when you get yours).

Warmer box ... I don't know ... I don't have one, but I can't imagine I would use it too often if I did.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #24
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Tony, I'll show my ignorance, what makes it a "hybrid deluxe"?

Old 07-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #25
PekingPorker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Tony, I'll show my ignorance, what makes it a "hybrid deluxe"?
Lang Deluxe models have the warming box above the firebox.

Hybrid models have a grill in a separate chamber right next to the main smoking chamber so you can have a hot fire grill and smoker together.

Put both those features together, and you have a Hybrid Deluxe

Old 07-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #26
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

i learned something about langs i didn't know today.. thanks brethren

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #27
FromthePitBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Lumpy

Another question about hybrids... can the grilling area also be used as a smoking area when needed? Or is it separated off from the smoking chamber permanently?

Old 07-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #28
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Well that's just damn cool, with features and options like that it's no wonder they have a great reputation and loyal following. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PekingPorker View Post
Lang Deluxe models have the warming box above the firebox.

Hybrid models have a grill in a separate chamber right next to the main smoking chamber so you can have a hot fire grill and smoker together.

Put both those features together, and you have a Hybrid Deluxe

Old 07-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #29
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromthePitBBQ View Post
Another question about hybrids... can the grilling area also be used as a smoking area when needed? Or is it separated off from the smoking chamber permanently?
The grilling chamber is separated from the smoking chamber; however, you can do indirect cooking in the griller. There is a lot of space in there. I think I even saw Corey from Fatbacks BBQ on the last BBQ Pitmasters put ribs on indirect in the griller. I could be wrong but it sure looked like it.

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #30
PekingPorker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunter View Post
I think I even saw Corey from Fatbacks BBQ on the last BBQ Pitmasters put ribs on indirect in the griller. I could be wrong but it sure looked like it.
I saw that too. Can't remember if it was ribs or brisket, but he definitely put on of the meats on the griller.