MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
pdxRandy
Got Wood.

Default Thoghts and suggestions on my first brisket

Tomorrow I am going to cook this small brisket. I think it is called a flat cut. Is that correct? This little cut of meat is 3.75# and about 1 1/2" thick on the deep end and just less than 1" thick on the other.

I am cooking this in my new 22"WSM.

Anyone care to suggest how would be the best way to do this, and how long it might take. Would really like it to be cooked a rested when the company shows up.

I am open to all suggestions and thoughts. I am going to inject it this evening with apple juice. The pour on some olive oil and spices, let it set all night in the fridge and cook tomorrow.

BTW...........my wife gets a chuckle out of my rank here "Got Wood"

This was all I could find in WinCo and not the big honker that most of you folks type about.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brisket small 001.jpg (37.1 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg Brisket small 002.jpg (37.0 KB, 232 views)

Old 09-14-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have cooked one of those earlier this year. It was all I could find. I did a dry rub, no injection, oil or mustard. I put it on my kettle at 250F and let the heat climb over the first hour to 290F. From there it was done in 4 more hours. The only issue I had was I oversalted the rub, I misread the recipe for the Dirty Dalmation rub.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

pdx, that size brisket is really a tough call brother. Really too small for low and slow. OBTW, glad your wifey finds humer in your hobby. I don't know what to advise you to do as this size brisket almost needs to be foiled early and braised more than smoked. Trying to smoke it would dry it out big time. Hope someone else chimes in here with some good advise.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2009, 08:20 AM   #4
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

This amateur's guess would be to go low and slow, then foil the last hour with the left over injection juice.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
greg of the BGE
On the road to being a farker

The problem that I think you will have with the flat is there is not enough fat to keep the meat moist for a low and slow cook. I think the best bet may be to smoke it low and slow for the first 1 1/2 hours and then coat and foil until it is ready. But I am a total neophyte when it comes to smoking in anything other than the BGE so I am not sure how other smokers hold moisture. You may want to limit the smoking to an hour if you are worries about it drying out too much.
greg of the BGE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
tclass
Got rid of the matchlight.

I've done a couple of these. First time I coated with mustard and dry rub and put two pieces of thick cut bacon across the top and let it sit over night in the fridge. Smoked the next day at about 250 the entire time in an open aluminum pan. Came out pretty good. Second time I did the same thing but without the aluminum pan. Ran the internal temp to about 150 and then wrapped for the rest of the cook (five hours total?). I think the second one was better.

TC
tclass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
Papa Payne
is one Smokin' Farker

What ever you decide to do, be sure to get some pictures and let us know how it turned out.

Thanks,

Papa

Old 09-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
landarc

it is tomorrow, how is it going? what did you do?

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 09-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
HumboldtSmokeBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I have bought those...and no luck. I could have worn mine on my feet for a back country backpacking trip.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Gary

Looks like part of the fat cap has already been removed! My only words of advice is to inject it to keep it moist. Good luck and be sure to post pron....good or bad!

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, [/COLOR][COLOR=darkred]KCBS - CBJ[/COLOR][/FONT]
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine :rip:
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #11
pdxRandy
Got Wood.

Well today is tomorrow and tomorrow is still the next day ?

My plan is this. First off the company has colds so they stayed home, does not break my heart I don't want there cold, fair? Second the load is this baby brisket, a pot roast the was on the cheap at WinCo and three fatties. Two of the fatties are stuffed with pepper jack cheese and one is just good ol' plain Jimmy D's.

I put them on a 3:30pm which is the first picture. At 5ish I am going to foil the brisket and the pot roast. Add mop and cook till done.

If you will notice after the fatties have cooked for awhile I like to but them in a foil cup so to speak to save the grease. Sheesh I can't see wastin' good hog fat............! What I do is then pour the grease off into a cup and save it. I am at the point where if I am going to fire the WSM might as well fill the ol'girl up. Why waste cookin' space

BTW.........if this deal fails the the beef will become chili. Lots of chili but that is better than dog food, IMHO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brisket small on the WSM 003.jpg (55.1 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Brisket small on the WSM 007.jpg (56.6 KB, 92 views)

Old 09-15-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
landarc

Looking good so far.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 09-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #13
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Looking good, I like my fatties a little drier, what do you do with the grease?

Old 09-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
pdxRandy
Got Wood.

The brisket could have cooked longer. The flavor is nice and will work great in a big ol'pot of chili. This was a good lesson. The end product is very flavorful and will be enjoyed, so no harm no foul. The next brisket will have to be a packer. First thing would be to go buy a new roll of vacume seal plastic. That much meat will last us a long time, which is one of the reasons I bought the baby brisket. The pot roast was cooked "like the brisket" turned out kind of like a smoked pot roast. I smoked it for two hours and the foiled it with a hoppy beer mop and cooked it for another four hours. That part could have been done anywhere that was 225-250 temp.

The fatties grease was going to go into a little cup. After thinking about it it dumped it into the one plain fatty that will be used for sausage and garvy over my biskets. That was the reason to save it in the first place to richen up the gravy. Two of the fatties I laid open like a hogie roll and filled them with petter jack cheeese. I am glad that fatties are so easy to cook, fine idea who ever came up with that deal. These two are slicing sausage to go with pancakes or french toast, or eggs and taters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fattie and baby brisket 001.jpg (37.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Fattie and baby brisket 005.jpg (53.0 KB, 70 views)

Old 09-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #15
landarc

Well, it looks delicious and good that it tastes good. That smoked fattie gravy has got to be good.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]