• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Fatties

Smokin J

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Does any one any good recipes for Fatties? I have never made them before, but I'm thinking about doing some this weekend. Any ideas would be appreciated :lol: .

1) Unwrap Jimmy Dean Hot 16 oz sausage, and place in Barbecue at 225.
2) Cook until Done.

:)

For all the wonderful customizations, this one remains my favorite.

pure sausage heaven!

14jun07-013.jpg

2jul2007-012.jpg

Make your own sausage... I stuffed mine with onions, jalapeno, bell peppers, shiitake mushrooms, and pecarion romano...very good...I think you could stuff it with anything and it will still be good...well withing reason:-D

Attachments

• IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 2,103
JD stuffed with jalapeno and pepperjack cheese and rolled in a good rub is the favorite at my house.

JD original stuffed with carmelized onions, cream cheese, shredded smoked gouda, sliced jalapeno, sliced red pepper, sprinkled with garlic powder rolled up and plastic wrapped and placed back in fridge for a couple of hours to firm up then. Unwrap sprinkle with your favorite rub and put in smoker for 2-3 hours @225-275. You are in for a treat!!! Use your imagination on what to stuff them with and you will be rewarded wuth some great eats.

Ummm, I'm going to stop at the store and pick some up so we have breakfast Saturday morning in Laurie.

When it comes to a fatty there is already a lot of falvor just because of the pork factor. Use your imagination and stuff it with different cheeses, herbs, meats. Just what ever your mind comes up with. I've not tried it yet but I'v thought about using a piping bag and filling one up with a scrambled egg or two and see how it will turn out.

JD stuffed with roasted red bell peppers, chipotle peppers in adobo, onion, garlic, and string cheese. No rub, smoke/indirect grill until done.

A good pinch of maui-wowie, rolled tight but not too tight...

Seriously though, put anything you like in 'em, I have used sliced mushrooms, roasted red peppers, cheeses of all varieties, garlic, onions, pre-cooked bacon. Porky made a good point that after you stuff them & you roll them back up & seal the seams you definitely want to put in the fridge for a couple of hours so the seams don't bust open when smoking.

Just a plain fatty in your favorite rub is always good too...

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a few last weekend with salsa for snacks at a BBQ comp to rave reviews. I took 2 JD 16oz sausages and combined them in a bowl. I then took a jar of mild salsa and drained off as much liquid as I could and dumped the contents of 1/2 jar of salsa into the bowl with the sausage and mixed it together as you would with a meatloaf. From there, I molded the mixture into a log, sprinkled some rub on it and rolled the fattie in plastic wrap and stored in the freezer overnight to harden up. From there, I threw in on a WSM the next evening at 235 for about 3hrs. The extra that we had left over, we crumpled and put in eggs the next morning. Its a gift that keeps on giving.....

I got the big Jimmy Dean roll from Sam's club. I diced up a bunch of gruyere cheese and granny smith apples. It worked really well.

With a nod to Neil: Flatten it, core a poblano or other type of pepper, stuff the pepper with cheese, roll it back up in the sausage. Now roll the fattie in crushed Cheetos, smoke until ready.

Rubbed italian sausage stuffed with provolone and not overcooked. Add what you like. Great with any pasta. Tomato based or alfredo sauce works for me.

I like to get italian sausage, and for the filling using peppers, onions, and a quick fresh tomato sauce (fresh tomato, garlic and basil). A touch more fresh basil and then I'm good to go. When I'm in a particular artery clogging mood, I'll put pepperoni and genoa salami in there as well. I live in a house with 11 other guys, and the bbq I make tends to get eaten very quickly. But NEVER have I seen something get eaten as quickly as my italian stuffed fatties.

I will dice japs and garlic (the more the marrier) and mix them into the sausage. Add some grated cheese (any kind will do but I have had great luck with parmesian) too. Olives, onions and chopped cherry peppers offer a great taste too.

Fill the Maple Jimmies with Mushroom & Swiss Then take 1/4 cup Rub and 1 cup of Turbinado combined and roll the Fatties in it.

Back