MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob
Default Some advice...Mobile Pit

http://www.easttexassmokercompany.com/

I have a '69 VW bus that I need to sell and as soon as I do I want to buy one of these. I have talked with the owner a couple times via e-mail and I must say I love the design and I'm partial to propane tank pits. Anybody ever heard of these pits, seen em, used em, etc? I'm looking at the standard RK250 model which I will then personalize and trick out myself. Any info appreciated.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

No experience with them, but looked like a solid basic offset style pit. About right price wise. You could get a lang 84 for a little less money and they are about the same size.

Matt Pair, member of the AlabamaGrillBillies Cookteam and Catering company. 24x54 Offset stick burner, 18" WSM, UDS, Mutiple Weber Kettles and a 22" WSM on the way.
AlabamaGrillBillies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
acorette
Full Fledged Farker

Can't offer anything on that particular pit, but I wouldn't give up my rotisserie pit for anything. I think having the meat turning in the smoke and heat really evens things out. It's a lot more forgiving when you don't have the meat stuck in one place.

Custom Southern Yankee rotisserie trailer towed by the 8-Ball RV
Brinkmann Cimarron, Weber One Touch Gold (22.5), Camp Chef 2 burner stove + Griddle, 10, 16 and 20 qt Dutch ovens, Scottims Pit Grille
acorette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just curious about that "69 VW Bus, what do those go for these days?
Is it one of the red ones?
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
BobBrisket

Westtex,
It needs some work. If I can get between 2000 and 3000 I'd be happy. It's a dark green with a white top.
For those of you with mobile pits, I'd like some other suggestions for other makes and models for the price of the RK250 model. What else is out there.
Acorette- Any pics of your pit?
Price is the biggest factor.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Last edited by BobBrisket; 12-17-2007 at 10:34 PM..

Old 12-18-2007, 09:00 AM   #6
acorette
Full Fledged Farker

You can see it in the background here: http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&id=164

Also here is a bigger copy of the same pic: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...401#post473401

Aw what the heck. Here's a better shot:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of DSC01375.jpg (57.9 KB, 155 views)

Custom Southern Yankee rotisserie trailer towed by the 8-Ball RV
Brinkmann Cimarron, Weber One Touch Gold (22.5), Camp Chef 2 burner stove + Griddle, 10, 16 and 20 qt Dutch ovens, Scottims Pit Grille
acorette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 09:06 AM   #7
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Aaron, GREAT LOOKIN RIG!!! I've been leaning towards a Lang for the reverse flow, but now I'm thinking... Damn, too many options!!!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 10:05 AM   #8
BobBrisket

Aaron,
That is a most beautimus pit you got there. Looks like you and your team have some great times around the pit. Thanks for sharing those pics.

Soultrue turned me onto these pit builders too.

www.bbqpits.biz/index.html

I like the TL 112 model.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
Aaron, GREAT LOOKIN RIG!!! I've been leaning towards a Lang for the reverse flow, but now I'm thinking... Damn, too many options!!!
I was seriously considering the Lang 84, until that Gator was available. Dave, I don't think you would go wrong on the Lang.

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #10
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

awesome looking pit acorette.

brisketbob- here's another option & close to you.
http://www.bbquepits.com/portable_tr...bq_smokers.htm

Old 12-18-2007, 11:35 AM   #11
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues_n_cues View Post
awesome looking pit acorette.

brisketbob- here's another option & close to you.
http://www.bbquepits.com/portable_tr...bq_smokers.htm
Oh man, decisions, decisions, decisions.

Thanks, Blues.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:02 PM   #12
Transformer BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

You mentioned propane, not an area I know... but I assume the propane just burns in the firebox? not in the cooking chamber...

I would be careful about getting an offset at that size that isn't reverse flow. There are certainly pits that aren't reverse, that keep an even heat (including the Greer Holy Grail pits)... but the design certianly works well in the Lang and I would think would be somehting you'd want in a cooker that size.

-B
Transformer BBQ
FEC 100, Lang 60M, Jamie Geer Backyard
Viking Professional Gasser
Transformer BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #13
Lakeside Smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
http://www.easttexassmokercompany.com/

I love the design and I'm partial to propane tank pits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformer BBQ View Post
You mentioned propane, not an area I know... but I assume the propane just burns in the firebox? not in the cooking chamber...
I think hes looking for a pit made from a propane tank...

In polite society, we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions hobbies. - Stephen King
Lakeside Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 02:36 PM   #14
BobBrisket

It took some searching, but I finally figured out what the reverse flow system is and how it works. This is a good point to consider. I guess I could always give the guy some specs and have him build it as a reverse flow when I ordered it from him. It's something I could do myself, but wouldn't really want to muck with it. Could the same effect be replicated with a large baffle and keeping the exhaust vent onthe opposite end from the firebox?
Now I really have more options than I ever thought I'd have about purchasing a large pit.
Keep it coming guys.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:53 PM   #15
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

In my oh so humble opinion, if you want an offset pit the pecking order is a Greer custom pit (less than 25 world wide), Klose, everybody else. Now the first 2 probably cost more than your budget. So Lang has a good rep. So does Bates (sometimes), Peoria Custom is making some nice stuff now as they did QUAU's custom job. And lots of great homemade pits out there.

Depending on what you want and what you're willing to pay you might look at used. Try the BBQ Forum Buy/Sell pages or get in touch with Dave Klose at BBQPITS.COM.

This is just offset then you get in to rotisserie pits and of course my fav is the FEC by fast Eddy/Cookshack.