Question for caterers that also compete...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
...do you use the same rubs and sauces that you do for your catering or restaurant? Thanks! :p

JD

We have several but use on of them for competing.

No. We use competition rubs and sauces for competing. :thumb:

Generally, no. In competition I'm going for 'one bite BBQ', and catering I'm going for 'pig out BBQ'. For competition, I cook what I've figured out scores well with the judges. For catering, I cook what I like. Similar, but not the same. I've never had any complaints!

Yes, the only difference is with competition you have time to be very careful with the cooking process. As a caterer I want to present as close to competition BBQ as possible.

No and no.

I cater more with lamb then brisket and the chicken is usually jerk or tandoori plus a bit of basic BBQ chicken. Granted things are different over here but 99% don't know competition cooking so it's more cost effective in some cases.

Smaller private events get Spicewine on both rub and sauce.

exactly like Mister Bob said, catering we go for pig out BBQ and at comps we go for one bite BBQ.
Brett:thumb:

Yes but the flavor profiles are much stronger and sweeter in comps. As others have noted, I would not eat a whole rack of comp ribs.

I use the same rubs for sure. I only provide one sauce choice when catering or vending, and that is on the side. I really feel the meat can stand on its own, and some of my best customers have health issues and want to pass on the sauce.

almost. a very small twist for one bite BBQ vs. pig out BBQ as stated above. One suggestion, is to never try a new recipie at a contest! I did that once last year and the BBQ was good but, i went from usul placement in the top 15 to almost dead last! I guess the judges did not like it:redface:

...do you use the same rubs and sauces that you do for your catering or restaurant? Thanks! :p

JD

Yes, just a few tweaks for competition like a fine grind. When we win an award, we know it is all our recipes as we have used no commercial products.

HOWEVER, we may be bringing on a seasoning line as a major sponsor in 2011, and if that happens we will be using their products. When making this decision, you have to ask yourself what is the most important to you: promoting a product, showcasing your skills or matching the judging status quo.

Back