Wampus's BLOCK PARTY

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So a little while back, the wife and I decided to send out invitations to our entire neighborhood to come to the house for a pitch-in dinner. We've lived in our neighborhood for about 3 years now and since we don't know THAT many people, we thought this may be a solution.

We bought the meat, I cooked it and everyone else was asked to bring a side and their own drinks. We ended up having about 30 people come and it really was a good time. Got to meet several new people and have since given and received many a wave coming and going.

Anyway....

I dug out a shank portion Cook's ham and 2 whole chickens out of the freezer, and went and picked up 2 cryopacks of butts from Sam's.

The butts:
IMG_0455.jpg

Rubbed with KC's Rub (of course....what else???) and put on the UDS the night previous (at about 11:00 pm):
IMG_0458.jpg

The next morning at about 7:45 after cooking at 225 for the entire time:
IMG_0460.jpg

At about 11 am, I rubbed and put on the ham, also rubbed with KC's:
IMG_0463.jpg

After a couple of hours, I spatchcocked the 2 chicks and put them on to join the ham (no pics here).

After about another 1-1/4 hours, the ham and chicks were done:
IMG_0467.jpg

MMmmmmmmmmmmmm..........ham goodness (photo taken after the whiskey-brown sugar glaze):
IMG_0468.jpg

The chickens:
IMG_0469.jpg

And then it was time to pull the pork (which had been coolered since removing from the smoker). My son had a friend over to spend the night and they were both MORE than willing to help out. Errrr....my son is the one with the "I'm so hungry I'm going to eat until it hurts!" crazy stare.
IMG_0474.jpg

Pulled the pork, carved the ham and chicks and served. Didn't get any pics of the final spread (!!). We got RAVE reviews on everything. I had many a comment like:

"You know, I don't usually care for chicken, but THAT was incredible!"
"VERY good meat. I tried a little of everything, but, I gotta tell you, you REALLY outdid yourself with that ham!"
"You should compete against Squeelers! (our local BBQ joint) Your pork is a LOT better!"
"You can cook for me anytime!"

And the best question of the day.....
"Say....how much would you charge to cook for a party for me?":becky:

Thanks for looking. We've got a lot of friends in the neighborhood now.:thumb:

Nice looking spread of meat (who cares about the other stuff right?). Especially interested in the ham, considering doing one myself. Can you give me a start to finish run down on the ham (exact cut, precooked?, glaze recipe?, time in the smoker) Thanks in advance.

We got RAVE reviews on everything. I had many a comment like:

"VERY good meat. I tried a little of everything, but, I gotta tell you, you REALLY outdid yourself with that ham!"
"You should compete against Squeelers! (our local BBQ joint) Your pork is a LOT better!"

Now, why, am I NOT surprised?:heh::thumb::clap2::clap2::clap2:

It's amazing how a simple gathering can gel a neighborhood.. Food is the Glue. Nice job man!!! Cheers!!!

Wow. I want to live in your neighborhood now!:clap2::thumb:

Is it just me or does that look and t-shirt go together? :confused: (Far out man mod)

My son had a friend over to spend the night and they were both MORE than willing to help out. Errrr....my son is the one with the "I'm so hungry I'm going to eat until it hurts!" crazy stare.
IMG_0474.jpg

nice lookin spread, I love a smoked ham might have to pull one out of the freezer and cook one this weekend

After just lookin at the pic's I had that same hungry stare as your boy!
Nice gesture to the folks in the neighborhood.

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together. Great job!:thumb::thumb:

We got RAVE reviews on everything. I had many a comment like:

Great spread and great way to meet the neighbors. I have done the same thing, and got the somewhat the same responses. :thumb:
Cooked for quite a few parties. I cook for cost, this helps me perfect the trade. Almost like free schooling.

What did you use on your chickens? and what temp? Color and skin look great.

All that food looks great and I know where Mooresville is. Now if I can just figure out when your cooking again.........

Nice looking spread of meat (who cares about the other stuff right?). Especially interested in the ham, considering doing one myself. Can you give me a start to finish run down on the ham (exact cut, precooked?, glaze recipe?, time in the smoker) Thanks in advance.

Here's a link of the recipe I use:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ham1.html

I've done this ham recipe probably 6 times or so. GREAT results. LOVE the glaze. The recipe is for a whole ham, I did a half ham (shank portion), but shouldn't matter much. Just make sure you do the partially cooked or "ready to cook" ham, not the fully cooked version.

Good luck!

What did you use on your chickens? and what temp? Color and skin look great.

I cooked the chicks at the same temp as the ham, which was about 375. I rubbed them with Weber Grill's "Classic BBQ Rub" as I recall. They smoked with apple and cherry for about 60-75 minutes. Usually take 1 to 1 1/2 hours at between 325-375.

Love 'em. Do 'em about every other weekend.

Back