Brinkman vents

J

Jutsuka

Thanks to all who spent the time with suggestions, tips, etc.

The ribs were awesome. I cooked when all coals/fuels were ash, with about 10 pounds of charcoal. Halfway through the process, the temp really dropped and I noticed that the fuel was almost spent, so, I added some more charcoal and 3 apple chunks. As you might imagine, I had to remove the meat while the smoke dissipated. In any event, it worked and the ribs, about 8 hours later, were awesome. I used the Brethren rub with yellow mustard to hold it. Apparently, the charcoal selection and/or the venting on the Brinkman vertical I have is not 'best'. I admit I am not the "pitmaster", but is unflexible bottom venting and one side door common in smokers? Thanks again for the tips, everyone enjoyed the ribs immensely, can't wait to master the process.

Another tip, not to sure of it was mentioned is when you add that extra log(s) to the fire you can keep the firebox lid open in order to quickly dispense of that black smoke. When your wood is ashing up nicely, close it. Well, that is what I do and it has not failed me yet.

Jutsuka said:
Thanks to all who spent the time with suggestions, tips, etc.

The ribs were awesome. I cooked when all coals/fuels were ash, with about 10 pounds of charcoal. Halfway through the process, the temp really dropped and I noticed that the fuel was almost spent, so, I added some more charcoal and 3 apple chunks. As you might imagine, I had to remove the meat while the smoke dissipated. In any event, it worked and the ribs, about 8 hours later, were awesome. I used the Brethren rub with yellow mustard to hold it. Apparently, the charcoal selection and/or the venting on the Brinkman vertical I have is not 'best'. I admit I am not the "pitmaster", but is unflexible bottom venting and one side door common in smokers? Thanks again for the tips, everyone enjoyed the ribs immensely, can't wait to master the process.

Had a Brinkman bullet type that I used for tailgaing for years. I finally added a few holes to the bottom so that it would draw more air. Made a big difference in being able to reach a usaable temp, and maintain it.

Another tip, not to sure of it was mentioned is when you add that extra log(s) to the fire you can keep the firebox lid open in order to quickly dispense of that black smoke. When your wood is ashing up nicely, close it. Well, that is what I do and it has not failed me yet.
BigBelly, just an observation, Jutsuka is using a bullet, your advice is sound but doesn't really apply to his situation.
Jutsuka, when you have a chance, go to your profile page and in the "signature block" type in Brinkmann Bullet or ECB so when you post questions everyone will know what type of cooker you are using and you'll get more informed responses.
Not ragging anyone, just trying to make things simpler for everyone.

Good point. My tip only works with the NF Bandera cooker.

Back