MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

Default My attempted modified Johnny Trigg Rib Recipe Results

Folks I smoked up (4) large racks of spares yesterday using a similar Johnny Trigg approach and they were excellent.

I prepped the ribs as usual removing the membrane, excess fat, flap but did not make St. Louis ribs out of them.

Lightly rubbed them with some EVOO and applied some of Jeff's Naked Rib Rub recipe that I had modified just a little by adding some granulated honey to it. I then placed them on my 250 degree smoker using Stubbs Charocal, and three chunks of peach/apple wood. While they were smoking I took (1) cup of Honey, (1) cup of Parkay Squeezable Sweet Butter, and 3/4 cup of Brown Sugar and combined all three in a small pan and gently heated it to melt and blend all ingredients together.

At the three hour mark I removed the ribs from the smoker, applied a liberal amount of the Honey/Butter/Brown Sugar sauce to both sides and then another light coat of the rub, double wrapped them in foil and put back on the smoker for about 1-1/2 hours and then removed them from the foil and placed them backed on the smoker for another hour. During the last 15 minutes of the last hour I glazed them with some of Myron's Hog Sauce and these were the best ribgs I have ever made not that I have made that many. Just thought I would share my experience with you, sorry I have no pictures to show you as I had three familes over here that would not give me time to take any, they were hungry lions and devoured them.
wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sounds like some good ribs. Congrats!

Old 07-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
vr6Cop
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds great to me!
Jere Baxter-Edgefield Lodge 254 F&AM
vr6Cop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
Goin Que Que
On the road to being a farker

Thanks for the post.

Where did you get Ganulated Honey from??
Goin Que Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds like a success and we will have to try that soon. Amber has always been a little reluctant about the butter honey brown sugar thing.
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan in Ga View Post
Sounds like a success and we will have to try that soon. Amber has always been a little reluctant about the butter honey brown sugar thing.
Is Amber not a sweet person?

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
BBQ Grail

SOUNDS very nice.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Good to hear that you've had a good result with the ribs. I tried it recently with a good result, although I had to hurry mine. Next time, like you, I will add a sauce to glaze, like Sweet Baby Rays, or something like that.
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
thirdeye

This would have more better is we had some to look at..... Heheeee. But, I'm glad this worked out for you.

Where this is going to come in real handy is prepping a lot of racks for the foil step. I always get the doubled foil pieces ready, and heat my apple juice up, and also warm up the sauce and honey a touch.... but having the honey/Parkay/sugar all heated and dissolved will save some time when wrapping.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #10
FretBender
Full Fledged Farker

Check out the threads on BBQ and butter, honey, sugar, etc. From what I got out of it the issues of sugar burning, etc. are not avalid since at BBQ temps sugar, honey, etc does not burn. Butter I'm not sure about, but if you use butter, sugar, honey etc in a cake and bake it at 350 and it doesn't burn, why not use it at 225 or 250 in a cook?

Old 07-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

When I unfoiled the ribs the Honey/Butter/Sugar glaze looked exactly like it did when I put it on before foiling, I had no burning effect at all. I was worried about this but as it turned out I was worrying for nothing. I was also worried that the ribs would be so sweet that I could not eat them but far from it, they had a good flavor with no overpowering sweetness, I will definitely repeat this process.
wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by FretBender View Post
Check out the threads on BBQ and butter, honey, sugar, etc. From what I got out of it the issues of sugar burning, etc. are not avalid since at BBQ temps sugar, honey, etc does not burn. Butter I'm not sure about, but if you use butter, sugar, honey etc in a cake and bake it at 350 and it doesn't burn, why not use it at 225 or 250 in a cook?
I can't tell you why it works but ever since the VS competition series, a little (or a lot of) Parkay has become one of barbecues worst kept secrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelterrapin View Post
When I unfoiled the ribs the Honey/Butter/Sugar glaze looked exactly like it did when I put it on before foiling, I had no burning effect at all. I was worried about this but as it turned out I was worrying for nothing. I was also worried that the ribs would be so sweet that I could not eat them but far from it, they had a good flavor with no overpowering sweetness, I will definitely repeat this process.
How close did your foil liquid look to the liquid in these?

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
landarc

Great, now I want some ribs. Congrats on the successful cook.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2010, 04:08 AM   #14
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Mine never looked as good as ThirdEye's
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote