MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

Default I didn't expect this

I just fired up the UDS so we could have some pork butt this evening. After I lit the basket and ran my two probes into the drum, I put the grate on and spread the probes out to opposite sides. The wind is really blowing here in Kansas today, (whats new), so that is probably the reason that the probes read 10 degrees different while heating up. I just didn't expect to see that much difference in such a small space as a drum. I've used this drum a bunch the last 6 months or so and air leaks are pretty much eliminated. Does this seem right?
CBJ #31626
UDS
Lots of Weber Grills
Traeger Texas Pellet Grill
My cooking blog
[URL]http://babyboomerboyscookinblog.blogspot.com/[/URL]
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

That's not bad at all. I notice quite a difference between an edge reading (like I get from my thermometer mounted on the drum) to a center reading. I can see a temp difference in the windward and leeward side of the pit too. Some folks rig up a wind block for their drums when cooking in the winter.

Bear in mind you will get different readings after the pit is loaded, and how it is loaded too. I like to monitor the temp close to the center of the grate, about 2 or 3 inches above the meat. And to balance out the hot spots I may have on an edge, I will rotate my grate during the cook. Rotation is especially helpful when balancing out the doneness of chicken.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
N8man
Babbling Farker

Here's something else to watch for while you're cooking...
I've had meat register 10 degrees apart
across the Drumpit
Rotating the cooking grate is a must...

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
Nick@ParkAQ
Full Fledged Farker

Yep. When we BBQ specially on the beach the temp fluctuations more drastic so in days of high wind if we want steady temps a 3 sided windbreaker helps reduce the effect but I find it easier to gauge the wind direction and cook with that in mind. In the wind, smoking like golfing can be - a challenge.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Has anyone developed a rotating grate? Something like a turntable that spins.
Maybe i should pm this to the rib olator guy. I think it would help to even out the hot and cold spots.
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
Nick@ParkAQ
Full Fledged Farker

Interesting. Wer'e testing a version soon. Were named it the Turn-A-Q. If you're interested we'll keep you posted.

Park it. Grill it! Eat it!

Old 03-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

I have four intakes and six exhaust holes space evenly. I cook with all four intakes about 1/2 open. No problems side to side, however, the middle to edge temps do differ.

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote